12/5/16 To-do List
There is no special way to attack this action list. If it seems overwhelming, just do the first two items to make it easier. If you have a little more time, do the third….and the fourth…. Or, choose items that speak to your heart. Some people cut and paste the list, print it off and take it with them so they can check items off while they are out and about during the day and just waiting or driving. Others click and do items as they work on their computer or phone. There is no right way to do this. Just do something!
- Voice your concerns to members of the Electoral College: http://asktheelectors.org/?error_code=200&error_message=Cannot+call+API+on+behalf+of+this+user#_=_
- And another Electoral College petition: https://www.change.org/p/electoral-college-make-hillary-clinton-president-on-december-19-4a78160a-023c-4ff0-9069-53cee2a095a8
- December is a huge month for giving to charity. In addition the country has seen a huge uptick in donations this year after the election. Let’s capitalize on these trends as much as possible: Call your HR department to determine if they have a matching donation program in place that encourages and adds to employee giving to non-profits. If so, find a way to make sure everyone in your company knows about it. Don’t have a matching program in place? Start one (advice here: https://doublethedonation.com/blog/2013/05/eight-common-questions-from-corporations-starting-new-employee-matching-gift-programs/)
- Here is an excellent primer on how to engage your local media: https://www.facebook.com/notes/connecting-dots/communicating-with-the-media/1160253407345076?hc_location=ufi
- Time to order more tickets to not go see Trump on his “victory” tour! https://www.donaldjtrump.com/schedule/
- They were worried about the Second Amendment. We are worried about the First! Sign here to help defend it during a Trump presidency. https://www.signherenow.org/petition/defend-first-amendment/nation/
- Grab Your (Corporate) Wallet. The #grabyourwallet campaign encourages individuals to stop buying from companies that are enthusiastically supporting Trump, and to invest instead in organizations which have denounced his agenda of homophobia, racism, xenophobia, and sexism. Take this movement one step further by investigating where your company’s dollars are going: Where does it advertise? Where are office materials purchased? What airlines/hotels does your orgization use when employees are traveling for work? If any of these answers lead to Trump sympathetic companies (eg. Forbes.com, Scion Hotels, ABC Supply), suggest using alternate vendors to fill that need in your workplace. The Grab Your Wallet Boycott List is here (https://grabyourwallet.org/) and is updated regularly. "
- If you’ve not called already, you may want to call Congressman Chaffetz's office in DC to lodge a compliant about the Oversight Committee's lack of oversight thus far (they say they are waiting for Trump's press conference on 12/15 to learn more about his plan to divest his business holdings) now might be a good time. 202-225-7751.
- And, another Chaffetz petition for the same: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/rep-jason-chaffetz-probe?mailing_id=36185&source=s.icn.em.cr&%3Br_by=17042769&r_by=15875449
- Trump is leasing the old DC post office building for his new hotel, however there is a clause in the lease that says no elected official can have an interest in the hotel. Email the GSA—General Services Administration—and urge them to terminate this lease before the inauguration. Email: email@example.com Subject: Trump Hotel lease violation My message: Hello, I’m writing today to ask the GSA to immediately terminate the lease for the Trump Hotel, at the former post office, in Washington, D.C. The President Elect is in clear violation of the terms of the lease, which state that no elected official may have any interest in the leased property. Thank you for your time
- Use Texio to improve diversity in new applicant pool. Contact recruiting at your organization and ask them to investigate using the Textio when creating new job announcements (https://textio.com/). This tool uses a database of job postings and applicant response rates. Using this data, they are able to pinpoint which phrases are more likely to encourage certain demographics to apply. They also have reduced pricing for non-profits who want to use this service.
- A group of former Michigan Hillary campaign organizers is forming a grass roots effort called #MichiganResistance to restart the fight here in our state beginning with this terrible lame duck legislation we are seeing. Click the link to sign up! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeYV_n4QG--BGrGMxxz6eS40J7v1ppYiYa3Vkxq--QC0-Uhug/viewform
- The Michigan House of Representatives' Election Committee has passed a package of three bills to the House floor. Current law allows a person to vote by signing an affidavit if he/she doesn't have a valid voter photo ID and is listed on the state registry. The ballot is counted immediatenly. The new bills require the person to get a provisional ballot and in order for it to be counted, the person must go to the clerk's office within 10 days with a valid ID. To speak your opposition against these bills, go here: http://participate.lwv.org/c/8799/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12568. If you’d rather call your Representative, contact information is available here: http://house.michigan.gov/mhrpublic/frmRepList.aspx
- A different opportunity to voice concern about these voter suppression bills, go here: https://ssl.capwiz.com/aclu/issues/alert/?alertid=74425626&type=ML&ms=eml_161205_aff_MI_voting_rights&af=#capwiz_query_encrypted
- It appears that Meijer is advertising on Breitbart and probably does not even know. Let’s tell them about it and ask them to stop. Renee Appert is one of the marketing directors at Meijer. firstname.lastname@example.org or 877.363.4537. You can also call their Media Relations hotline at 952-346-6608.