12/30/16 To-do List
There is no special way to attack this action list. If it seems overwhelming, just do the first two items to make it easier. If you have a little more time, do the third….and the fourth…. Or, choose items that speak to your heart. Some people cut and paste the list, print it off and take it with them so they can check items off while they are out and about during the day and just waiting or driving. Others click and do items as they work on their computer or phone. There is no right way to do this. Just do something! Remember, too, that many of the suggestions made on earlier days are still doable.
Please remember that due to all the petitions and joining we’ve been doing over the last several weeks that we are now on many email lists for organizations that will most likely be seeking end-of-year charitable donations. While it may make for some less-than-desired email, please give what you can and be tolerant knowing that these organizations do so much good on our behalf.
- Senators Pelosi, Sanders, and Schumer have written to their congressional colleagues asking them to stage a rally or an event in their home states on Sunday, January 15 for a day of action, “Our First Stand: Save Health Care”. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/12/28/sanders-democratic-leaders-announce-day-of-action-to-preempt-health-care-cuts/?utm_term=.c47f8f8e042f
- Write to your Democratic federal legislators and offer your support and help in making this happen! http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- Here is a petition to state legislatures to dismantle the outdated Electoral College system by joining the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. http://act.credoaction.com/sign/popular_vote_compact/
- Please call the Office of Government Ethics (202) 482-9300 and tell them: Trump's apparent plan of having his sons run his business while he serves as President is UNACCEPTABLE.
- Simon & Schuster has granted a book deal to known hatemonger and white supremacist Milo Yiannopoulos the 31-year-old British tech editor and star writer for Breitbart News, where he’s the loudest defender of the new, Trump-led ultraconservatism, shouting to stop immigrants, feminists, political correctness, and any non-Western culture. He was recently banned from Twitter for hatred toward actress Leslie Jones. Please go to the Simon & Schuster Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Simonandschuster/) or send them a tweet (@) or phone (212-698-7006) or fax (212-698-2858), or email SS’s President and Publisher: Louise.Burke@simonandschuster.com and its Administrative Coordinator: Irene.Lipsky@simonandschuster.com and say that you will be boycotting their books if he is published and paid by them to spread hatred. We can also call local libraries and bookstores to let them know Simon & Schuster is supporting white supremacy. Please consider contacting Simon and Schuster as to voice your displeasure at a hatemonger being given a book deal at such a reputable company! The Chicago Review of Books has stated on their Facebook page, “In response to this disgusting validation of hate, we will not cover a single Simon & Schuster book in 2017.” Let’s thank Chicago Review of Books, too! email@example.com.
- Apparently, they heard from many of us! The Buffalo Board of Education on Thursday demanded that Carl Paladino resign from his post on the board after making racist comments about President and Michelle Obama last week. If he refuses to step down, the board will ask the state education commissioner to remove him, it said in a resolution. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/nyregion/carl-paladino-racist-remarks-buffalo-school-board-demands-resignation.html?_r=0
- Paladino, however, says he will not resign. https://buffalonews.com/2016/12/27/board-regents-representative-says-state-exploring-legal-options-remove-paladino/ Here is a petition to the New York Commissioner of Education to remove him: https://www.change.org/p/commissioner-of-education-of-the-state-of-new-york-maryellen-elia-remove-carl-paladino-from-the-buffalo-school-board and/or call her office at (518) 474-3852.
- Join Sen. Heinrich (D-NM) in helping to protect Medicare: http://nm.martinheinrich.com/page/s/hands-off-medicare
- At least one choir member has quit rather than perform at Trump’s inauguration. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mormon-tabernacle-singer-quits-choir-over-trump-inauguration-w458429 Sign here if you feel the entire Mormon Tabernacle Choir should not as Trump does not reflect their values: https://www.change.org/p/the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints-mormon-tabernacle-choir-should-not-perform-at-trump-inauguration
- Sign this to object to the invalid 2016 Electoral College vote: https://campaigns.organizefor.org/petitions/verify-one-person-one-vote-congress-must-stop-the-invalid-2016-electoral-college-results
- In addition to the smartphone app, Countable is also available via computer, too. Countable makes it quick and easy to understand the laws Congress is considering. It also streamlines the process of contacting your lawmaker, so you can tell them how you want them to vote on bills under consideration. https://www.countable.us/
- If a Boy Scout is to be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent, it appears to be against their core values to march in Trump’s inauguration parade. If you think so, too, call Boy Scouts of America and register your concerns at 972-580-2000 or email them at
- On your mobile device (not your computer), visit calltrumpout.com and enter your address. You'll then be able to quickly add your members of congress (MoC) to your contacts list, which will help with future actions.
- Here is a petition by Ploughshares Fund, a public grant making foundation that supports initiatives to prevent the spread and use of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons and other weapons of war, and to prevent conflicts that could lead to the use of weapons of mass destruction., to keep Trump’s finger off the nuclear button: http://www.ploughshares.org/keep-donald-trumps-finger-off-nuclear-button
- Call your representative and senators regarding the 1) Midnight Rule Relief Act, and 2) Reins Act. According to Politico: "The “Reins Act,” would require Congress to approve major regulations. Another called the Midnight Rules Act would allow Congress to nix, en masse, Obama administration regulations issued late in his term." http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/new-congress-house-votes-united-nations-232998 Find your legislators here: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page