2/28/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
Contact Government Officials
- This morning the House Judiciary Committee will vote on HR 111, which would require Attorney General Jeff Sessions to release information on Trump's conflicts of interest to the House of Representatives. Call your representative and ask them to cosponsor and support House Resolution 111. VoteVets.org believes that this should happen. Watch their video: https://youtu.be/aKb0bY5xb2A The Indivisible Guide has a call script available: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources-2/2017/2/27/mandate-disclosure-on-trumps-conflicts-of-interest Then, contact ALL the members of the Committee: https://judiciary.house.gov/subcommittee/full-committee/ or via Twitter: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rHP7D4NZ_pvPDB1aNFCWxGswx_XfmkLZc82Dnl09k-E/edit
- Rick Perry is the nominee to head the Department of Energy, even though he opposes the existence of the department. Call your senators and ask that they oppose Perry. Use this help from Indivisible: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources-2/2017/2/23/oppose-rick-perry-for-secretary-of-energy
- Call on your senators to oppose Seema Verma as head of the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. These programs are already vulnerable enough; we do not need someone with her extreme political views being in charge of these important programs. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/04/seema-verma-trump-centers-medicare-medicaid-cms Call script: http://bit.ly/2l4c9HO
- Do not allow Michael Flynn's investigation end with his resignation. Call on your members of Congress to support a full investigation into Flynn's communication with Russia.
- Now, more than ever, we must push our mayors and city council members to declare each city a Sanctuary City. ICE is deceiving local police departments in order to gain their trust and cooperation in raids. This deliberate betrayal of trust is dangerous and is an effective way to throw citizens and immigrants alike into fear and panic. Call your mayor and council members to demand sanctuary city status; show up at each meeting to demand protection for the immigrant population. Read more about how the Santa Cruz police were deceived by ICE: https://www.courthousenews.com/santa-cruz-police-say-ice-misled-them-during-immigration-raid/
- From one of our
own: Some good advice resistance
advice from a chief of staff for a US
- If you or others are overseas and still want to be involved, Americans Resisting Overseas (ARO) is a platform to support Americans overseas in exercising active citizenship through mobilizing, learning and sharing actions with others from outside the USA. “We might not currently live in the USA, but our voices must also be heard! Through ARO you can find actions easily done from any country, and also spaces to share what has worked and what hasn't in our overseas organizing efforts. All ARO publications are written by overseas activists for overseas activists, so if you would like to share your experiences mobilizing outside the USA, get in touch!” Here www.americansresistingoverseas.com or mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sanctuary Not Deportation has created an Immigrant Raid Rapid Response toolkit for faith allies. Encourage your local organizations of faith to join in to protect area immigrant populations, utilizing the information in the toolkit: http://www.sanctuarynotdeportation.org/
- The National Resource Defense Council (NRDC) will be hosting a teleconference this Friday, March 3rd: "Sending Trump a Message Through Litigation," focusing on the Trump administration's impact on our environment. RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2mCKr0L
- Now that officials are asking to check ID on domestic flights and on buses, we need to know what to do: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/papers-please/517887/?utm_source=atlfb
Petitions to Sign
- Let’s join the Sandy Hook Promise petition to keep guns out of schools: http://action.sandyhookpromise.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/index.sjs?action_KEY=20091
- Really American is spearheading an effort to stop the GOP health plan that would favor the rich: https://actionsprout.io/DB485F/initial
- We all know that 45 has many conflicts of interest, perhaps these five graphics will make it easier to understand: http://www.citizensforethics.org/5-graphics-help-understand-president-trumps-conflicts-interest/
- What can you do to help support our immigrant population? The Indivisible Guide has some ideas here: http://bit.ly/2lXS1pM
- Here’s a fascinating article from the New Yorker on why facts do not change our minds: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/why-facts-dont-change-our-minds