2/12/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
- From one of our own: It's lunch time and I just called both my Democratic Senators (OR) to express my concerns that the White House has not asked Mike Flynn to step down from his position. What he did by calling the Russian Ambassador to discuss sanctions was not only illegal but may rise to the level of treason. Both offices noted that while it was concerning, they had not been overwhelmed with calls on this issue. I am asking you to take a minute today to call your Senators and ask that at a minimum they ask for Flynn's resignation and commit to a renewed effort to investigate Trump/Pence's Russian ties. 45 claimed to know nothing about this. http://www.newsweek.com/mike-flynn-security-risk-555642
- The full-Senate vote on Mnuchin for Treasury Secretary is on Monday. Once again, there are significant issues: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/candidate-for-treasury-secretary-helped-run-bank-that-is-accused-of-bias/2016/11/17/6c7dab5e-acd6-11e6-a31b-4b6397e625d0_story.html?utm_term=.b170d3accc20 Call your senators and let them know your concerns.
- If the goal is to eliminate the EPA, Pruitt is the person to do the job. Former EPA officials do not want him confirmed. http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/318081-former-epa-employees-urge-senate-to-oppose-pruitt If you agree, contact your senators to tell them so.
- On Thursday, Rep. Sam Johnson (R-TX) introduced H.R.958 - To eliminate certain programs of the Environmental Protection Agency, and for other purposes. "Major EPA climate change programs would be eliminated under the measure. The legislation would also close all of the EPA’s regional offices, halt new regulations on ground-level ozone pollution and require the agency to lease unused property." http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/318931-gop-bill-would-gut-epa Call your representative and ask them to oppose H.R. 958
- Damsels in Defiance has a campaign to send valentines to your representative. Details here: https://damselsindefiance.org/event/send-a-valentine-to-your-representatives/
- Snowflake AvMAILanche: Postcards to McConell, Sessions, Manchin, Warren, and your Senator: https://www.facebook.com/events/2189435307949032/ Link includes all the information needed and downloadable postcards.
- Call your Members of Congress. Ask them their Town Halls schedule. When there is no answer, tell them that as their constituent, you are requesting one immediately. If there is one scheduled, ask when the next one is. Call back again every day. After your calls, go to their email contacts page and write that you called to request a town hall and are waiting for the date. Tell your neighbors to do so, also. When you get angry that they aren't meeting with you, call your local media. Tell them you have called repeatedly, etc.
- There are some reports that Rep. Chaffetz thinks that at least some of the protesters who showed up at his town hall this past week were paid protesters. If you are from Utah, particularly his district, can you let him know your thoughts on this? http://chaffetz.house.gov/contact/officeinformation.htm
- Send this spreadsheet to your legislators and tell them that you want to make sure they become part of this Town Hall Project: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yq1NT9DZ2z3B8ixhid894e77u9rN5XIgOwWtTW72IYA/htmlview?sle=true
Other Contacts to Make
- Here is a correction to the link for the Ides of Trump postcard project from yesterday: https://www.facebook.com/TheIdesOfTrump/
- Interested in taking part in a Telephone Town Hall with MomsRising? On Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 9 PM EST, MomsRising is holding a Telephone Town Hall to share simple, easy-to-use tips about some of our favorite organizing and advocacy tactics with members who are ready to do more. Details here: http://action.momsrising.org/survey/KeepMarchingTeleTownHall_TacticsTips/
- Defend Against ICE Raids and Community Arrests
- The Water Protective Legal Collective at Standing Rock has job openings for an executive director, a defense counsel coordinator, and a media relations coordinator: https://waterprotectorlegal.org/wplc-is-hiring/
- The National Immigration Law Center is sponsoring a webinar on Monday, Feb. 13 to discuss what is happening, how to respond, and how to express opposition. Details here: http://eepurl.com/cBDFBT
- Check out this new daily action blog:
Petitions to Sign
- Ten states so far have introduced legislation to criminalize peaceful protests. Sign here with Fight for the Future to stand with them against these actions: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/urgent-ten-states-are-about-to-criminalize-peaceful-protest
- Rarely used 1924 could make 45’s tax returns public. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/02/11/congressman-rarely-used-law-could-make-trump-tax-returns-public/97788564/ We deserve to know! Add your name to the growing list of Americans demanding Trump release his returns: http://act.standupamerica.com/page/s/tax-returns
- Here’s a look at the 2018 Governors’ races: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yvVJJcpoeoGnqtN7xO1U9B6e2VNtTIrpCigHgsBEywg/edit#gid=0 and some background info: http://www.governing.com/topics/elections/gov-2017-2018-governors-races-predictions.html
- “A Gift and a Challenge for Democrats: a resistive, active and aggressive base”: https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/a-gift-and-a-challenge-for-democrats-a-restive-active-and-aggressive-base/2017/02/11/e265dd44-efef-11e6-b4ff-ac2cf509efe5_story.html?utm_term=.26bff23bee80