2/23/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
Contact Government Officials
- Last evening, 45 rolled back protections for our transgendered students. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/trump-administration-rolls-back-protections-for-transgender-students/2017/02/22/550a83b4-f913-11e6-bf01-d47f8cf9b643_story.html?utm_term=.d0a070e83988 This is not acceptable. Our children’s safety is of utmost importance. Contact your legislators to voice this outrage. Then continue to the next:
- It looks like transgender rights are in the Trump administration's crosshairs. Reportedly, protections put in place for transgender students under Title IX would be rescinded. Call the Department of Justice and the Department of Education and demand that they uphold the guidance put in place by the Obama administration: that transgender youth be protected by Title IX. Department of Justice: 202-514-2000 and Department of Education: 1-800-872-5327. Here is a New York Times article about the transgender rights under attack: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/us/politics/devos-sessions-transgender-students-rights.html
- From Weekly Actions to Resist Trump: #StandWithDreamers: Pass the BRIDGE Act http://www.weekly-resistance.online/
- Sen. Sanders has introduced Senate Bill 427: "A bill to enhance Social Security benefits and ensure the long-term solvency of the Social Security program" which would help fund Social Security. While the article below mentions that it is highly unlikely for it to advance through the Senate, it's still important to call your senators and let them know that you support progressive bills like this. You can also call the Finance Committee to let them know you support this bill: https://www.finance.senate.gov/about/membership https://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/sanders-calls-on-congress-to-strengthen-and-expand-social-security Follow its progress here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/427
- From one of our own: When attending a rally, Townhall, any political event, consider wearing a large sticker with your ZIP Code boldly written on it. It may decrease Trumpsters from thinking you are a paid plant.
- From Michael Moore: Do These 10 Things, and Trump Will be Toast http://michaelmoore.com/10PointPlan/
- The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe is calling on its allies to march peacefully with them on March 10th in Washington, D.C. If you cannot make it to D.C., they ask "that you take peaceful action at home in your tribal nations, states, cities, towns, villages and provinces." http://standwithstandingrock.net/march/
- From History Has Not Written Itself, here is another GOP survey; this one from the Chairwoman: https://gop.com/2017-chairwomans-survey/ While most of the questions are fairly predictable, it is fairly thoughtful and deserves thoughtful, not snarky replies.
- From the Nuns on the Bus: Sign up for their weekly Lenten reflections from their newly published reflection guide to Catholic Social Justice as well as participate in daily call-ins to Catholic members of Congress on healthcare, one of our issue areas. https://networklobby.org/Lent
Petitions to Sign
- Sen. Sanders has introduced a bill to boost Social Security. http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/319989-sanders-introduces-bill-to-boost-social-security Let’s join Real American and sign to show our support: https://actionsprout.io/095C34/initial
- Senators Tom Cotton and David Purdue have introduced the RAISE Act; a xenophobic bill which would cut legal immigration in half. Call your senators and ask them to block the RAISE act. You can read more about the act and sign the CREDO action petition here: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/raise?t=1&akid=21829.11114362.qlQOFx
- The Washington Post is fact-checking 45’s first 100 days. So far, in 34 days, they’ve counted 134 false or misleading claims. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims/
- “Why Nobody Cares the President is Lying”: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/04/opinion/sunday/why-nobody-cares-the-president-is-lying.html
- Why our educational system is heading for trouble unless we can maintain the separation of church and state: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/influential-conservative-group-trump-devos-should-dismantle-education-department-and-bring-god-into-classrooms/2017/02/15/196bf872-f2df-11e6-8d72-263470bf0401_story.html?utm_term=.c790edca2f6e
- Take a lesson from the organizers: “Protests out of ‘nowhere’: Five lessons from the organizers behind the #NoBanNoWall airport protests” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/protests-out-of-nowhere-five-lessons-from-the-organizers_us_58a763e0e4b0fa149f9ac5af