2/14/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
- Keep up the calls against Pudzer for Labor Secretary! Apparently four of the Republican members of the HELP Committee are on the fence. His confirmation hearing is on Thursday. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/02/13/at-least-four-gop-senators-are-on-the-fence-about-labor-nominee-andrew-puzder/?utm_term=.acb85e0ea184 Contact info for committee members here: http://www.help.senate.gov/about/members
- Call your representative and tell them to oppose "H.R.610: To distribute Federal funds for elementary and secondary education in the form of vouchers for eligible students and to repeal a certain rule relating to nutrition standards in schools." Background: http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/12/07/504451460/school-choice-101-what-it-is-how-it-works-and-does-it-work
- The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists asks us to join them in opposing a resolution in both the House and Senate that would allow states to deny funding for the family planning and preventive care services provided by certain Title X clinics. The Title X program is the only federal program exclusively dedicated to providing low-income and adolescent patients with access to effective family planning and other related essential preventive health services. This particular resolution specifies clinics that perform abortions, i.e., Planned Parenthood. While Title X funds cannot be used for abortions and Planned Parenthood cannot use federal dollars towards abortion, this cut in funds for other services would be devastating to many communities. This is another ploy to chip away at the good work of PP. Contact your legislators.
- From The Loyal Opposition: While Flynn may have resigned over the Russia fiasco, it is imperative that Congress step up and investigate the situation and its implications. https://www.theloyalopposition.net/
- The Women's March is teaming up with Van Jones's Love Army, and V-Day to reclaim Valentine's Day as the Day of Revolutionary Love. Sign the declaration and find action items here: http://www.revolutionarylove.net/ Learn about the Love Army on their website: http://www.thedreamcorps.org/lovearmy Check out the V-Day movement here: https://www.facebook.com/vday/
- Check out a listing of regional chapters and events for the National Strike on Feb. 17: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NZR6mqImkoOHWpbTHdkCrUvHdThDTEOf8Aewp1GlxE0/mobilebasic For a press release you can use for local events: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dVk4f9XtdiEO5YJ9q1p3UWLv3F8D4ODWaK-R1EvcR1Q/edit
- From Indivisible: If you have a MIA legislator and want to be able to have a conversation: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources-2/2017/2/12/missing-members-of-congress-action-plan
- From 2 Hours a Week: Say it Loud and Say it Clear: Immigrants are Welcome Here: http://us14.campaign-archive2.com/?u=542e52557cb249fb2535906ea&id=e9492eb844&e=6041b3e5fe
- Reach out and see how you can help the Revote 2017 project that is seeking to nullify the 2016 election. It is on the Supreme Court on 2/21. There are many ways to help: http://revote2017.org/join/ They also have a new FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Revote-2017-372347546470790/
- Stephen Miller, a policy advisor to 45, has been a figure of contention, but moreso this weekend when he claimed on national TV that the executive powers of the President will not be questioned, that the Judicial System has taken too much power, and that voter fraud is rampant. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/13/stephen-millers-audacious-controversial-declaration-trumps-national-security-actions-will-not-be-questioned/?utm_term=.fde48ad24ec0 When his Duke alums learned of his part in the immigration ban and in the Trump administration, they drafted a letter expressing their disappointment for Miller going against what Duke represents. http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/02/alumni-draft-open-letter-raise-money-in-protest-of-trump-advisor-stephen-miller Shall we send some postcards to Miller and help remind of some basic civics and facts? Write him here: 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500.
Petitions to Sign
- The United States Department of Agriculture removed public animal welfare inspection reports and annual reports related to the Animal Welfare Act from its website. These reports contain information about thousands of puppy mills, roadside zoos, and animal testing facilities. If you want the federal government to stop hiding animal cruelty, please sign this petition telling the USDA to make these taxpayer-funded documents public once again! https://www.change.org/p/tell-the-usda-to-stop-hiding-animal-cruelty-from-american-taxpayers
- Please consider signing this petition to the White House to restore and maintain accurate, science-based information on climate change to the White House website. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/restore-and-maintain-accurate-science-based-information-climate-change-white-house-website
- Use this information from Nate Silver’s Five Thirty Eight to learn which Republican senators are more likely to fight Trump. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-republican-senators-are-most-likely-to-fight-trump/
- Do you have ”resistance fatigue”? https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2017/02/13/feeling-all-protested-out-you-might-have-resistance-fatigue/caDnhR6CECZKAx4rzMnoGM/story.html