12/21/16 To-do List
There is no special way to attack this action list. If it seems overwhelming, just do the first two items to make it easier. If you have a little more time, do the third….and the fourth…. Or, choose items that speak to your heart. Some people cut and paste the list, print it off and take it with them so they can check items off while they are out and about during the day and just waiting or driving. Others click and do items as they work on their computer or phone. There is no right way to do this. Just do something! Remember, too, that many of the suggestions made on earlier days are still doable.
I will be taking a few days off from list-making over the Christmas holiday so that I can spend time with my loved ones. If you are so motivated, please feel free to go back through these lists and work on items you've not done yet. Many of them are still active and need your help. Thank you for understanding.
- Let’s make January 20th a “Power of the Purse” Day! For more information check here: https://www.docdroid.net/6HhI3O5/power-of-the-purse.pdf.html
- We can’t let climate deniers undo years of research and unfund future research. Say you support climate change work: https://www.barackobama.com/keep-up-the-fight-for-climate-action/
- How to approach change: 1) find 10 FRIENDS (and invite them to your house), 2) find an existing ORGANIZATION (that shares your concerns), 3) OPPOSE, OPPOSE, OPPOSE (to block his agenda), 4) by TARGETING members of Congress (who are terrified of losing reelection). Easy to remember: spells FOOT
- These are unofficial, but it might be fun to weigh in on some Fox News’ polls: http://nation.foxnews.com/poll/index.html
- From Standing Rock: We at Standing Rock need to be given the right to bring our own attorneys from out of State. The lawyers in North Dakota are very limited in number, some of them hostile towards our cause. The North Dakota Supreme Court has placed our Petition to Permit Temporary Provision of Legal Services by Qualified Attorneys From Outside North Dakota up for comment on the Court's web site. To support the fight against DAPL, we urge all to submit supportive comments and cc them to the Water Protectors Legal Collective at email@example.com Comments on the proposed amendments must be submitted before 4:00 p.m., Friday, December 30, 2016. Send comments by email or snail mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org Penny Miller, Clerk of the Supreme Court 600 E. Boulevard Ave., Bismarck, ND 58505-0530
- Here is a list of action items by Robert Reich, President Clinton’s Labor Secretary, “The First 100 Days Resistance Agenda”: http://robertreich.org/post/153401540180
- Highlights (magazine for children) is being attacked for normalizing and representing LGBT families. Let's thank them for their inclusivity!! This could be the only exposure some kids get to families that are different from their own. To applaud the magazine's efforts to include many different types of families in their pages (especially in light of the current political climate) call 1-888-372-6433 or email them at https://www.highlights.com/customer-service/contact-us
- From the RISE When We Fall FB
group: Educate yourself on
your elected officials in 4 easy steps:
1) Find your 2 senators and
1 representative (and their contact information) at https://www.callmycongress.com/,
2) Sign up on their websites to
receive regular email updates and invites to local events, 3) Review
their: a) voting history at http://votesmart.org/
and b) biggest campaign contributors at http://opensecrets.org/. Bookmark both of these sites to review
regularly. See how they've voted recently.
If you agree with an issue you care about, call (using the contact info from step 1) to give your thanks and ask that they continue to focus on the issue. If they voted in a way you disagree with, call and let them know -- remind them that you'll keep this vote in mind as they're up for reelection. 4) 4. Sign up for a Google news alert here for each legislator:https://google.com/alerts
- Over the holidays our legislators are often out and about in their districts. Try to find where they will be and meet up with them! If you can’t find their schedules on their websites, use the “contact” button to write and ask them when they will be in your area: https://www.callmycongress.com/