2/25/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
Contact Government Officials
- Not allowing our long-respected news sources into a White House press briefing is unprecedented in our history. A free press is a hallmark of our democratic republic. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/24/white-house-blocks-cnn-new-york-times-from-press-briefing-hours-after-trump-slams-media/ Let’s tell Press Secretary Sean Spicer that this is unacceptable. Send him a postcard here in care of the White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500
- From Postcards for America: for all members from AZ, CO, IA, IN, MI, MN, MO, NC, ND, OK, SD, TN, WA to 1) send postcards to your STATE legislators regarding laws that would criminalize or increase penalties on peaceful protesting, 2) send postcards to your Governors to ask them to veto any legislation that would criminalize peaceful protesting, 3) also contact your State ACLU to see what can be done. Here are links to specific bills: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PEL5Swl0tE-PM8toIlRwqJeOb8Oc_cMuoR8Frx1Nics/edit?usp=sharing More info here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AJ9OTOqEyHAAbijNitLzPAAqZ0c8vvuXT-lSy8QRI6Y/edit
- From 5calls.org; Do not let our government bury the investigation of Trump's ties to Russia. Call the House Judiciary Committee and tell them that that you support Congressman Jerrold Nadler's Resolution of Inquiry; urge them to reveal the findings of the Trump/Russia investigation to Congress. For more information and a call script: https://5calls.org/#issue/recoh1dXy87aEau76
- Please join the Learning Disabilities Association of America in their quest to save access to healthcare that serve so many with disabilities: https://ldaamerica.org/call-to-action-preserve-medicaid-and-the-affordable-care-act/
- Last August, the Obama administration chose to begin ending private prisons since “they simply do not provide the same level of correctional services, programs, and resources; they do not save substantially on costs; and as noted in a recent report by the Department’s Office of Inspector General, they do not maintain the same level of safety and security,” [Sally]Yates [then Deputy Attorney General] wrote at the time. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/08/18/justice-department-says-it-will-end-use-of-private-prisons/?utm_term=.4ef9ac22a838 Now that 45 has rescinded that plan, there is talk that these private prisons will be used for deportees. Let’s let our legislators know that if private prisons were once deemed not acceptable for prisoners, that they are not acceptable for deportees.
- If you are in/near NYC: As a result of media being blocked at the press briefing, at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, Feb. 26 at the New York Times Headquarters there is a protest for a free press. Details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1868203673417908
- Contact your local schools’ administrations asking them to continue supporting protections for transgendered students or to consider doing so.
- Indivisible reports that as of 2/23/17 there are at least two Indivisible groups in every district in the country. If you are not already associated with one, now is the time. These groups are getting things done! Find a group here: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/groups-nav
- Read up on how to navigate social media for activism. Meredith Gould, a sociologist and digital strategist, has developed a guide to help us: DIGITAL ACTIVISM 101: A Guide to Showing Up, Speaking Out, and Connecting on Twitter and Facebook. Check it out here: https://www.slideshare.net/MeredithGould/digital-activism-101-a-guide-to-showing-up-speaking-out-and-connecting-on-twitter-and-facebook?trk=v-feed
- Good to have and pass along: The National Center for Transgender Equality has a “know your rights” handout for transgender and gender non-conforming students: http://www.transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/kyr/KYR-Schools-May-2016.pdf
- Please write to your local media, as well as national media, to ask them to stop calling constituents who want to interact with their reps “protesters”. National media contacts here: http://fair.org/take-action-now/media-activism-kit/media-contact-list/
- Brimming with creative energy and a desire to #resist? Take a stand against the Trump administration by submitting your artwork to Trump Won't Stop Us. They plan to have gallery shows in every state. Submissions are due by March 18th. https://www.trumpwontstop.us/
Petitions to Sign
- Sign in with Organizing for Action (OFA) to stand up for our legacy of providing safe refuge for those seeking freedom and opportunity: https://www.ofa.us/stand-up-for-american-values/
- From colorofchange.org, "Tell the DA: Indict the LAPD Cop Who Shot at a 13 Year Old Boy." The off-duty officer has been placed on administrative leave, but there must be a real, impartial investigation into what occurred. Background: http://abc7.com/news/officials-pledge-full-impartial-probe-of-off-duty-lapd-officer-incident/1769824/ Petition: https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/indict-lapd-cop/?t=3&akid=7036.2958725.JhSyYa
- Remember when we all signed up to do postcards with UltraViolet for them to take them to Paul Ryan. They did! http://www.channel3000.com/news/politics/protesters-deliver-thousands-of-postcards-to-speaker-ryan/352849320
- From Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) is offering a series of political education trainings. Here is Racism 101: http://surjpoliticaledsite.weebly.com/racism-101.html
- The Human Rights Campaign has posted "10 Things Parents Can Do To Show Their Love And Support To Transgender Students" in response to the latest move by Trump. In it you will find actionable items that you can take in your community and schools. http://www.hrc.org/blog/10-things-parents-can-do-to-show-their-love-and-support-for-transgender-stu/
- Just as vouchers are about to become a reality, this study says they may not be as good as people hope: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/23/upshot/dismal-results-from-vouchers-surprise-researchers-as-devos-era-begins.html