3/8/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
Contact Government Officials
- Some legislators are very responsive to women’s healthcare; others not so much. http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/01/the-senate-just-voted-to-roll-back-womens-healthcare.html Planned Parenthood has created a scorecard for our legislators on just how well they support women’s healthcare: https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/congressional-scorecard Check your legislators’ score and send them a call/card of congrats or disappointment.
- Paid family leave is not just important for the health of our nation, it's important for our economy. MomsRising has a form letter to members of Congress that you can personalize, asking for national paid family leave: http://action.momsrising.org/sign/paid_family_leave_2017/?t=14&referring_akid=8864.2326843.REMyon
- For those of us, or our friends, who have autism or other disabilities, the Autistic Self Advocacy Network has put together a Civic Engagement Toolbox for Self-Advocates. Use it and share it! http://autisticadvocacy.org/policy/toolkits/civic/
- From Weekly Actions to Resist Trump: Contact our legislators to reject any budget or appropriations bill that reduces funding for the EPA: http://www.weekly-resistance.online/past/epa.html
- The new GOP health plan effectively defunds Planned Parenthood. http://www.businessinsider.com/house-gop-obamacare-repeal-replace-plan-defund-planned-parenthood-2017-3 Contact your legislators telling that this is since so many women depend on it for their healthcare.
- Grandmothers! Front and center! Here is a set of postcards especially for you to print and use thanks to the Lexington, MA Grandmothers in Action. Send them to your legislators to ask for a 9/11-type commission to uncover the ties between Russia, Trump and the campaigns: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0k1qCMVpKZpeGF3YTJkRGQtOHM/view?usp=sharing
- MomsRising is collecting personal stories of people who have worked while pregnant. These stories will be compiled into a book, and delivered to policy makers. If you worked while pregnant, you can contribute your story: http://action.momsrising.org/survey/pregnantworker_stories/?t=8&referring_akid=8864.2326843.REMyon
- Let’s take another Fox News poll: http://nation.foxnews.com/poll/index.html
- For the teachers among us (and our teacher friends), here’s a great new resource for these tough times. Teach Progress is a national clearinghouse for calls to action, curriculum, news and policy that support progressive educators in taking action in their schools and as private citizens. https://www.teachprogress.org/ Use and share!
- Everytown for Gun Safety gives us four actions we can take to prevent gun violence. Take them! http://everytown.org/act/
- Here’s another way to participate in today’s A Day Without a Woman: Change your Facebook profile picture—this shows how: https://www.bustle.com/p/how-to-change-your-facebook-profile-picture-to-support-a-day-without-a-woman-41599
- Over 1300 companies have pulled advertising from Breitbart, but Amazon.com still has not done so. Sleeping Giants has offered two action items:
- Tweet the following: .@amazonhelp if your ad $ supports #Breitbart then I can't support you #NotBuyingIt #DayWithoutAWoman @slpng_giants (make sure to include the "." before @amazonhelp)
Petitions to Sign
- Sign CREDO Action's petition "Tell Congress: No racist and xenophobic Muslim ban 2.0: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/muslim_ban_two
- Even if you can’t strike today, let those who can know you stand with them. We all agree that women’s rights are human rights and we will defend them: http://actnow.prochoiceamerica.org/signup/170306_standstrike_ck/#.WL90tDsrLIU
- A side-by-side look at the differences between the ACA and the AHCA: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/06/us/politics/republican-obamacare-replacement.html
- “The American Hospital Association announced Tuesday its opposition to the GOP's healthcare reform plan.” http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/322833-hospitals-come-out-against-gop-healthcare-bill#.WL9hbigqnBU.twitter
- Here is a TED Talk by a young woman who grew up in the Westboro Baptist Church and why she left: http://www.ted.com/talks/megan_phelps_roper_i_grew_up_in_the_westboro_baptist_church_here_s_why_i_left