3/18/17 To-do List
Ø Please share Rogan’s List in your Facebook groups, Twitter, etc
Ø Please subscribe: In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
Contact Government Officials
- House Dems (@WhipHoyer) have put up a website where you can vote up or down on #AHCA w/ a map of US sentiment: www.resistrepeal.org If you want to set yourself up to communicate directly with your Member of Congress through this opinion collection effort and other efforts, then register first at www.popvox.com to be linked with your members of congress. Then your opinions on Rep. Hoyer's ACHA opinion gathering effort will be sent directly to your lawmakers. You can also set up your Legislative Agenda so that your lawmaker will be able to lookup their constituents positions on issues.
- We need to call our Representative in the House and ask them to co-sponsor H. Res. 192. This resolution would extend Congressional condolences to the victims of hate crimes, instruct the DOJ to investigate these crimes as hate crimes and increase funding to the Civil Rights Division, and also formally calls on 45 to end his "inflammatory rhetoric and policies, which have created a climate of fear within and amongst communities across the country."http://bit.ly/2mUxbrG Let’s also call member of the House Judiciary Committee: https://judiciary.house.gov/subcommittee/full-committee/ Resolution link: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hres192
- Foreign assistance programs are amongst those that would be cut in Trump's budget proposal. These programs help provide food, clean water, and education. CARE Action has a form letter that you can customize and send to your MoC, asking them to protect these programs: http://bit.ly/2mCLr5C
- From one of our own: Another way to look at the proposed budget: I think we need to press the message that elderly are being asked to pay for a wall. Children are being asked to pay for handcuffing children at the border. This is not business as usual. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-trump-budget/ Contact your legislators to oppose this skinny budget.
- From one of our own: Everything you need to write to your legislators about the criminalization of protests in your state. Scripts, contacts: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AJ9OTOqEyHAAbijNitLzPAAqZ0c8vvuXT-lSy8QRI6Y/mobilebasic
- While 45 is proposing cuts that will hurt millions of Americans, his family’s lifestyle is costing us much more than we bargained for. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/trump-familys-elaborate-lifestyle-a-logistical-nightmare--at-taxpayer-expense/2017/02/16/763cce8e-f2ce-11e6-a9b0-ecee7ce475fc_story.html?utm_term=.4c4939e5d526 For a comparison: Cost of additional security for Trump Tower: $183 million/year while the budget for National Endowment for the Arts: $146 million/year. And this figure does not even count the added costs to frequent to trips to Mar-La-Go. Let’s tell our MoCs that if he wants to save us money he can start with himself.
- He brought it up again this week, but Sen. Inhofe (R-OK) told us last summer that he thought that schools were brainwashing our kids when one of his grandchildren asked him why he didn’t understand global warming. http://www.newsweek.com/inhofe-declares-kids-brainwashed-after-granddaughter-asks-about-climate-change-484651 He likes the EPA cuts so that the brainwashing information can be gone. Shall we share some science with him?
- If we have personal stories about the effects of the proposed healthcare cuts, we need to send them to our local newspapers this weekend. Let’s also send a copy to each of our legislators. PLEASE. We need our newspapers across the country to be flooded with these stories as the House votes on this abysmal plan next Thursday. Our letters do not have to be perfect. They don’t need to be filled with facts. They need to be filled with our realities and our hearts.
- Meals on Wheels issued a statement regarding the pending cuts: http://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org/national/press-room/news/2017/03/16/meals-on-wheels-america-statement-on-budget-blueprint Let’s follow them on Twitter and show them some support: @
- Americans for the Arts has a page devoted to advocacy: The Arts Mobilization Center: http://www.americansforthearts.org/news-room/arts-mobilization-center Scroll down the page to see how we can take action to help support the arts.
- The Women's March has just launched their next action item in the 10 Actions 100 Days campaign: Reflect & Resist. It's time to Huddle Up, except this time we'll be choosing a book, article, or film which takes an intersectional approach to oppression. Check out the list of recommended works and read more about the Reflect & Resist action: https://www.womensmarch.com/reflect-resist/
- Here’s another opportunity to help turn a congressional seat blue! Georgia voters- the deadline to register to vote online for the upcoming special election is this Monday, March 20th. The special election for Georgia's 6th Congressional District is schedule for April 18th. Online voter registration: http://bit.ly/2mCXEqO Get involved to help this district Swing Left: http://bit.ly/2nzuB8s Find your friends on Facebook who live in Georgia, so you can share this message with them: https://www.facebook.com/search/people/?q=friends%20in%20georgia
- From one of our own: We were disgusted with Trump's disrespect toward the Chancellor of Germany yesterday. Let’s send a postcard with our hand printed on it or pictures of hands in friendship to let her and the German people know most Americans have better manners than our president. The address to send cards is THE EMBASSY OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY, 4645 Reservoir Rd NW, Washington, DC 2007
Petitions to Sign
- Let’s join Rep. Kennedy in his efforts to help protect the many people to rely on the ACA: http://takeaction.joekennedyforcongress.com/petition/affordable-care-act/a/
- Let’s help Sleeping Giants get even more advertisers out of Breitbart: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/953/831/865/sign-now-ask-these-companies-to-reevaluate-their-ads-on-breitbart/
- Actors Equity asks us to help them preserve dollars for the National Endowment for the Arts: https://members.actorsequity.org/savethenea/
- “King’s sentiments are not unique or novel: they’re racism of a particular vintage, a throwback to the imaginary fears that have animated American politics for a century. The only difference is a context in which he feels empowered to state those ideas in public.” http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-steve-king-style-of-american-politics
- A graphic look at the Ides of Trump postcard avalanche: http://elisabethparker.com/ides-of-trump-postcards/
- “This is what it’s like answering all those phone calls to Congress”: https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/03/16/this-is-what-its-like-answering-all-those-phone-calls-to-congress/?utm_term=.7918914f8dd3