3/30/17 To-do List
Contact Government Officials
- The People’s Defense has created a website where we can check to see where our senators stand on the Gorsuch vote AND gives us the tools for action for letting our opposition be known: https://peoplesdefense.org/count/
- It is time for Nunes to recuse himself or for Rep. Ryan to do it for him. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/03/28/now-we-know-why-trump-panicked-about-russia-probe/?utm_term=.ceed9c017fa3 Let’s contact our representatives, Nunes, and Ryan to help make this happen.
- ““People used to feel safe when the American planes were in the sky, because they knew they didn’t hit civilians,” said Hussam Essa, a founder of Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently, which monitors violence in Raqqa province. “They were only afraid of the Russian and regime planes. But now they are very afraid of the American airstrikes.” American planes are “targeting everywhere,” he said.” Something has changed and now WE are responsible for civilian deaths. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/panic-spreads-in-iraq-syria-as-record-numbers-of-civilians-are-reported-killed-in-us-strikes/2017/03/28/3cbce7f8-13bb-11e7-bb16-269934184168_story.html?utm_term=.6006e6539e23 Let’s contact our legislators and ask them to find out why. This is not us.
- From one of our own: Before the Senate confirms Judge Gorsuch to a lifetime seat on the Supreme Court (who threatens all our values), we must ensure with absolute certainty that the president who appointed him didn't collude with Russia to swing the election. In other words no conformation without an investigation or #NoRussiaProbeNoSCOTUSRobe. Here is a tool kit with several actions ready to go: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XpnUJdUuMvhszIX3RWJ8b0N7F3UYQHVFAB56DS4v3DE/edit#gid=0
- Let's call our senators and ask them to vote "no" on H.J.Res.43, which would overturn a Title X rule; a rule which protects qualified healthcare providers who offer family planning and reproductive health care services. This resolution has already passed the House, and the Senate is expected to vote on it shortly. The ACLU has a letter which they addressed to the House, when the House vote had not yet taken place, but the information provided is extremely helpful in illustrating the benefits of the Title X rule: https://www.aclu.org/letter/aclu-vote-recommendation-no-hj-res-43-title-x
- We can also customize this form letter: http://bit.ly/2mQ6g1x
- Let’s continue contacting our representatives to tell them that unless a healthcare change is better for everyone, we don’t want it. https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-29/house-gop-said-to-weigh-another-try-on-obamacare-vote-next-week
- From one of our own: The federal government is considering completely cutting the budget for Legal Services Corporation (LSC). This cannot happen! LSC's budget represents 1/10,000th of the entire federal budget but it does SO much for some of our most vulnerable residents. Every year, LSC provides services to nearly 2 million individuals and their families at NO charge throughout the United States and its territories. LSC provides civil legal aid for the poor, addressing matters involving safety, subsistence, and family stability. They do NOT handle criminal matters. These services are very important. Let’s join the fight to save LSC. Follow this link to learn more about LSC and how to send a postcard that will be personally delivered to your representative by a legal aid advocate from your state. Let’s stand up for Legal Aid! http://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/governmental_legislative_work/defender.html#talkingpoints
- “A supervisor at the Energy Department's international climate office told staff this week not to use the phrases "climate change," "emissions reduction" or "Paris Agreement" in written memos, briefings or other written communication, sources have told POLITICO.” http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/energy-department-climate-change-phrases-banned-236655 Denial of the facts do not make them less true. We need to contact our legislators and tell them that we want each of those phrases returned to their rightful places in memos, briefings, and communication.
- Let’s all call, email, tweet, fax, send a postcard to our legislators and Trump and ask them this: “I'm your constituent. Please explain why ISPs can mine/sell my data w/o my permission or knowledge?” http://abcnews.go.com/US/trump-expected-sign-bill-allowing-internet-providers-sell/story?id=46444603 Time for answers!
- “Groups that help low-income families get food assistance are alarmed by a recent drop in the number of immigrants seeking help. Some families are even canceling their food stamps and other government benefits, for fear that receiving them will affect their immigration status or lead to deportation. Many of the concerns appear to be unfounded but have been fueled by the Trump administration's tough stance on immigration.” http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/03/28/521823480/deportation-fears-prompt-immigrants-to-cancel-food-stamps Let’s step up our donations to food pantries to help these neighbors of ours.
- For those of us living overseas: “How to: Survive and Resist through Volunteering Overseas”: https://americansresistingoverseas.com/2017/03/29/how-to-survive-and-resist-through-volunteering-overseas/
- From one of our own: Many Ides of Trump participants would love to know how many of our postcards the White House received. So the Ides of Trump folks created a White House petition to find out. Sign it here if you too are curious: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/sending-mail-white-house
- Here’s another new smartphone app we can use to contact our legislators: Stance. This allows us to record a message and Stance will send it to them. Check it out here: http://takeastance.us/
- There are some big marches coming up in April. For both events, there will be marches in Washington D.C., as well as sister marches across the United States. For more information check these out: On April 15th - Tax March: http://taxmarch.org/ and April 22nd - March for Science: https://www.marchforscience.com/
- Tonight (3/30/17) at 8pm EST, Organizing for Action will be hosting a phone call to discuss how we can continue to protect the ACA. Register here: http://bit.ly/2nBiKsN
- From on of our own: Voter ID laws aim to suppress the vote, and they do an even better job suppressing it when they also fail to educate voters and volunteers at the poll, etc., about the requirements. I encourage people to donate to this organization you can. Also, if you're ever volunteering and can hand out the wallet cards that would be huge! http://www.voteriders.org/voter-id-info-cards
Petitions to Sign
- Let’s thank President Carter for fighting to end Citizens United: http://act.endcitizensunited.org/page/s/Card-for-Jimmy
- Let’s tell Trump and the Michigan auto makers to not roll back fuel efficiency standards: http://www.miclimateaction.org/stop_clean_car_rollbacks
- Want to keep track of all the votes by House and Senate, while also comparing it to Trumps stance? It’s hard to keep up with the deluge of legislation Republicans are jamming through. This is a way to track it – in the Senate, in the House, and what the votes were. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/
- From RISE Stronger: This is the most powerful video we at RISE Stronger have seen in some time. A Holocaust survivor confronts Trump's ICE Director about the horrors of targeting people based on their race, ethnicity, and religion. "History is not on your side" he warns. https://www.facebook.com/CREDO/videos/10155972829575968/
- Since when does a sitting President need an ad campaign to attempt to bolster his image? https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-29/with-trump-struggling-wealthy-backers-rush-in-to-shore-him-up