3/13/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
Contact Government Officials
- Tell House Members and Senators to Say NO to: HR 367 (and its senate companion bill), a dangerous measure that seeks to de-regulate gun silencers, allowing them to become easily accessible to anyone, while the gun industry protects lucrative easy access loopholes, allowing silencers and guns to be obtained easily, by anyone. http://www.toledoblade.com/Politics/2017/02/24/Gun-silencer-bills-could-spark-sales.html
- Eight deaths related to Russia/Trump connections have now occurred with this one happening in the US. It is highly unusual for a federal government official to ask for this kind of cover-up: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/323403-state-dept-asks-ny-medical-examiner-not-to-release-russian Let’s contact our legislators and ask for transparency and truth. Let’s also send a message to the NY Chief Medical Examiner: http://www.nyc.gov/html/mail/html/mailocme.html
- Let’s use 5 Calls to let our legislators know that we want them to stop cutting the EPA to provide more funds for the military: https://5calls.org/#issue/rec5cebyetMGhqGQ6
- Concealed Carry Reciprocity bills (SB 446/HB 38) have been introduced in both houses of Congress. If passed, this law would force each state to recognize concealed carry permits from every other state, overriding each state’s core public safety laws on who is too dangerous to carry guns in public or even to possess guns at all. https://everytownresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Everytown-Concealed-Carry-Reciprocity-Cornyn-January-2017.pdf While the NRA supports this legislation, law enforcement does not. Let’s contact our legislators and let them know where we stand.
- Let’s call our representative and ask that they cosponsor and support H. Res. 186: "Of inquiry directing the Secretary of the Treasury to provide to the House of Representatives the tax returns and other specified financial information of President Donald J. Trump." From Indivisible Guide on Facebook, "If the House Ways and Means Committee does not schedule Rep. Pascrell's Resolution of Inquiry for a markup within 14 legislative days, it becomes a Privileged Resolution and can be brought to the floor in front of the full House for a vote. In other words, no matter what, members of the Ways and Means Committee will have to go on record with a vote."
- The new FCC chair, Ajit Pai, has been a supporter of a free press. He once said, “In my view, anyone who has the privilege of serving at the FCC—any preacher with a pulpit, if you will—has the duty to speak out whenever Americans’ First Amendment rights are at stake.” http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/media/322436-its-urgent-that-ajit-pai-voice-his-support-for-a-free-press Let’s encourage him reiterate his stance that government should not pressure media. Find contact info here: https://www.fcc.gov/about/contact
- When a member of our esteemed Congress (Rep. King (R-IA)) can be openly racist when referring to non-whites and claim that “We can’t restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies,” we know that we cannot sit back and watch. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/03/12/rep-steve-king-warns-that-our-civilization-cant-be-restored-with-somebody-elses-babies/?utm_term=.15c27d1c5df7 This country is built on diversity. Let’s let our legislators know that this is unacceptable and Un-American.
- Eric Schneiderman, the NY Attorney General, wants to investigate Trump's violations of the emoluments clause. His office is tallying public support nationwide. Call: (212) 416-6218. and email: email@example.com. Simple message "Please investigate President Trump's possible violations of the Emoluments Clause."
- Take this PBS quiz to learn how thin your bubble really is: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/do-you-live-in-a-bubble-a-quiz-2/
- Let’s help flip some seats in the House. No matter where we live, here are some special election opportunities we can help: 1) help with phone banking for James Thompson (Kansas) http://www.votejamesthompson.com/phonebank and 2) sign up to volunteer for Jon Ossoff (Georgia): https://electjon.com/volunteer/ In any case, their campaigns will willingly take $ from all of us.
- Postcard parties are happening all over the country in preparation for the “Ides of Trump” on which we all mail postcards to Trump on Wednesday, March 15! Here’s the official website for details: https://www.theidesoftrump.com/ Also, check out their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/TheIdesOfTrump/
- If you missed the Sunday evening “Ready to Resist” phone conference by MoveOn.org you can listen to back sessions here: https://act.moveon.org/survey/readytoresist/
- Showing Up For Racial Justice (SURJ) is hosting a conference call on “Organizing the Suburbs”. You can register here: http://myaccount.maestroconference.com/conference/register/GWDPOS7V0AAM3U6 Here’s the Facebook event for the call: https://www.facebook.com/events/1833706173534814/
- Transgender rights are no longer a priority at the federal level, so we need to make sure we are doing what we can at the local level. Call your local school board and ask them what they are doing to make sure transgender students have access to bathrooms and locker rooms which correspond to their gender identity. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-lgbt-poll-idUSKBN16H1A4
Petitions to Sign
- Tell Congress to support the Presidential Tax Transparency Act: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/wyden_trump_taxes
- Let’s join in the Sierra Club’s call to stop the rollback on cleaner cars standards: https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0072960&id=70131000001iOuIAAU
- Update on Progressive Priorities PAC scam noted recently: While not a source generally cited here, the Russian influence here is noteworthy: https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/why-does-this-democratic-progressive-group-have-close-ties-t?utm_term=.buLaBbJzY#.oiA5oxnJ2
- “How to Escape Your Political Bubble for a Clearer View” https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/arts/the-battle-over-your-political-bubble.html
- “How to Resist from a Place of Love: Self-care for the Long Haul” http://www.yesmagazine.org/happiness/how-to-resist-from-a-place-of-love-self-care-for-the-long-haul-20170311