3/27/17 To-do List
Contact Government Officials
- From Postcards for America: Send postcards your OWN SENATORS in support of S338 – the Scientific Integrity Act that would ensure federal agencies that conduct and fund science, develop and implement scientific integrity policies. In addition, the legislation clarifies that federal scientist are allowed to communicate and discuss scientific findings, conclusions, and data with the public, the press, and Congress . http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/us-senate-bill-aims-make-sure-federal-scientists-aren-t-muzzled
- Let’s thank Rep. Lewis for always having all of our backs: http://www.businessinsider.com/watch-john-lewis-fiery-speech-opposing-gop-health-care-bill-house-of-representatives-2017-3 Contact him here: https://johnlewis.house.gov/contact-me
- Pretty sure this doc has it right: “Patients and primary care physicians are getting the raw end of the deal for the sake of corporate profits.” http://www.pressherald.com/2016/11/28/maine-voices-the-problem-isnt-obamacare-its-the-insurance-companies/ Time to ask our legislators to check into this part of the healthcare problem.
- While we are at it, we need to ask them to watch as carefully so as other attempts to weaken the ACA are not railroaded through Congress: http://www.consumerreports.org/healthcare-reform/what-is-next-for-aca-repeal-and-replace/
- Even if we don’t happen to live in Michigan, if we have a story to tell about the Great Lakes and why they need to continue to be protected, let’s let Sen. Stabenow know: https://www.stabenow.senate.gov/greatlakes
- Trump has been away from the White House about a third of the time he has been in office. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/03/26/nearly-one-out-of-every-three-days-he-has-been-president-trump-has-visited-a-trump-property/?utm_term=.2d77253591be While away from the WH, there is no requirement that a log be kept of his guests. A bill was introduced Friday by Sen. Udall (N.M.) et al, called the Make Access Records Available to Lead American Government Openness Act — or MAR-A-LAGO Act (S 721). The bill would require the Trump administration to release public visitor logs for both the White House“ or any other location where President Trump regularly conducts official business.” A similar bill was introduced in the House. Let’s let our legislators know we agree with this.
- While we were distracted last week, once again Trump has appointed someone to a position who opposes the agency’s mission by naming Roger Severino, who is openly anti-LGBT, to lead the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Civil Rights. https://www.propublica.org/article/heritage-foundation-critical-transgender-rights-HHS-civil-rights-office We need to let our legislators know that this is not acceptable and we are watching. Let’s also contact the Dept. of Justice’s Civil Rights Division: to let them know that we and they need to keep careful watch of this situation: Dept. of Justice’s Civil Rights Division, 950 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington DC 2053
- The yellow “Energy Star” rating tag that we all look for when we shop for new appliances may be on the way out. Despite the fact that it has saved us consumers hundreds of billions of dollars in appliances,the energy needed to run them, and has benefited the environment as well, this program is part of the proposed budget cuts to the EPA. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/03/23/the-trump-administration-wants-to-kill-the-popular-energy-star-program-because-it-combats-climate-change/?utm_term=.b493dfeb6413 Let’s let our legislators know that we want to keep those little yellow tags….for us and for the environment.
- DefundDAPL.org is calling on us all to divest our funds in banks that fund the pipeline and to put pressure on banks still invested in DAPL to stop. http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-boycott-dapl-banks-standing-rock-2017-3 Contact these banks: http://www.defunddapl.org/contact-the-banks
- Sleeping Giants has an updated action item in their fight against Amazon's advertising with Breitbart. They are asking that we: 1) Find an Amazon ad on Breitbart, featuring another company's product, 2) Tweet it to the company and @amazon mentioning that Amazon is putting their brand at risk by placing them next to inflammatory content, and 3) Tag @slpng_giants so that they can amplify. Here’s the list of companies that have stopped advertising on Breitbart due to Sleeping Giant’s diligence: http://bit.ly/2hbUgkX
- We can also make a difference with our wallets. Boycotting works, and the Grab Your Wallet campaign has shown the effect boycotts can have on businesses. If you are interested in participating, checkout their list of companies and learn more about the movement: https://grabyourwallet.org/
Petitions to Sign
- Deadline is 8pm ET tonight so let’s join in the signing of this letter to the chairs of the Foreign Relations Committees in both houses of Congress asking for an independent, bipartisan commission to investigate the role foreign powers played in the 2016 U.S. presidential election: https://indivisiblemontgomery.org/march-28-letter/
- Let’s join the Sierra Club and fight back against the Keystone XL pipeline: https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0074452&id=70131000001iOuIAAU
- “100 Days of Trump Claims” – “Trump has been in office for 66 days. As of our latest update on day 63, we’ve counted 317 false or misleading claims.” https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims/?utm_term=.69c9f492974e
Ted Kennedy’s take on healthcare reform in 2009 is still relevant:
- This is the gerrymandering case to watch: http://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/article/SF-political-scientist-crafts-tool-to-spot-rigged-11024527.php