3/4/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
I’d like to thank you for all the well wishes while I was out sick. Your thoughtfulness and caring are heart-warming and so very appreciated.
Contact Government Officials
- The ACLU is calling on citizens to contact their reps and demand an investigation into whether Jeff Sessions perjured himself during his confirmation hearing. Phone number and call script here: https://www.aclu.org/feature/investigate-jeff-sessions
- DREAMers were to be spared in the deportations. Call the Department of Homeland Security and demand that DREAMer Daniela Vargas be released. Background information and call script here: https://5calls.org/#issue/recwoHib7TBEBBkiE
- Sessions needs to resign or be let go and a full independent investigation of Russia’s influence in our government is paramount. Our friends at Indivisible Guide has provided a guide on how to talk with our legislators about this: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources-2/2017/3/3/call-for-the-resignation-of-attorney-general-sessions-and-a-full-investigation-into-trump-administration-ties-to-russia Thanks to the folks at Resistance Manual, (https://www.resistancemanual.org/Resistance_Manual_Home ), here’s a look at how our members of Congress are reacting to this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v_9y6y1X96_tEzyixPkNVBZi1nkotBjRaN7Sxc2e1Ik/edit#gid=0
- Consider supporting this organization by purchasing their goods. For every product sold, PiperCleo donates to SheShouldRun.org See items here: https://www.pipercleo.com/collections/nevertheless-she-persisted-jewelry-and-more
- From one of our own: The US Congressional Climate Solutions Caucus has been established and is working on building meaningful bipartisan action to address climate solutions. Everyone should call/fax/email their congressional members and ask that they show leadership and a commitment to solving US issues in a collaborative bipartisan way like their constituents want and join this caucus! More info here: http://citizensclimatelobby.org/climate-solutions-caucus/
- Even if you don’t live in a border state, the Great Lakes are a national treasure and they contain 20 percent of the world's fresh water and exhibit tremendous biodiversity. They are also a vital water source and play an important role in transportation and the U.S. and Canadian economies. Part of 45’s 2018 budget “The White House is proposing to slash Environmental Protection Agency funding that pays for Great Lakes pollution cleanup by 97 percent, according to a budget document obtained by the National Association of Clean Air Agencies.” http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/03/trump_great_lakes_epa_cuts.html Let’s let our legislators know that this is unacceptable and that the dollars for this effort are important to keep the job going.
- Make a concentrated effort to know the truth and spread it. Robert Reich tells us not to let Trumps lies become near truths. https://www.facebook.com/RBReich/videos/1483629764982948/
- From one of our own: We have all been working so hard, it is good to know that someone is keeping track of the successes for us. “We've been seeking resources to frame the #resist effort with positive and uplifting edge and it looks like we hit the jackpot with this one. So read it and DON'T weep... in fact, celebrate the small victories here and there, then breathe deep and begin again... every, single day!” Make sure to sign up for this one!! http://www.peaceisloud.org/small-victories/
- Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) has an indigenous solidarity working group, which will be hosting a webinar called "Creating Winning Dakota Access Pipeline Divestment Campaigns." Skills and resources will be shared on how to help your local institutions divest from DAPL. You can register for the webinar here: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/01aa823f1da85a8ecde7dc3c8da9331e
- Immigrants are an important piece of our communities. Organizing for Action (OFA) has a letter-writing tool we can use to write letters to the editor of your local newspaper about why we support immigrants where we live: https://www.ofa.us/get-involved/lte/?topic=immigration
- Families are being split apart by ICE deportations. http://stateofopportunity.michiganradio.org/post/plan-kids-case-mom-deported If you or someone you know is in fear of deportation, here is a guide to help you prepare your family: in English: http://www.michiganimmigrant.org/resources/library/preparing-your-family-immigration-enforcement-english and in Spanish: http://www.michiganimmigrant.org/resources/library/preparing-your-family-immigration-enforcement-spanish
- From one of our own: there is an “Etsy shop that sells postcards and will deliver them in person to your MoC's offices in D.C. AND proceeds also go to ACLU. I just think this is such a cool idea, I've heard of people delivering letters and postcards before, but now it is accessible to you even if you don't know anyone who lives in D.C. The owner even said she will deliver postcards when you don't buy from her. But I think you should because they are beautiful :)” www.etsy.com/shop/resistpersist
- From one of our own: The VoteSpotter app for smartphones allows you to track which way your reps and senators are voting super easily, and then you can get in touch with them/their offices through the app. For more info: https://votespotter.com/
- There are many ways to partake in the International Women’s Strike on Wednesday, March 8. Find one that fits you: https://www.thenation.com/article/how-you-can-join-the-international-womens-strike-on-march-8/
Petitions to Sign
- The continuing stories of Sessions involvement with Russians make it impossible for him to continue in his AG role for ANY investigation, not just those involving the campaign. It is not only time for a new AG, it is time for a special prosecutor in the Russian interference in our election and its entwinement with so many of 45’s staff. Let’s join MoveOn in this petition: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/sessions-must-go-special
- Let’s join Credo Action in telling Congress and the FCC not to destroy net neutrality. Thanks to net neutrality, broadband providers cannot block users’ access to content, slow down connections to services or charge for speedier delivery of preferred content. https://act.credoaction.com/sign/net_neutrality_2017
- While research shows that immigrants do not count for an increased crime rate in the US, the Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement office, or VOICE, designed to track offences by immigrants, is something that should concern us all. Here are some things we should know about it: http://www.teenvogue.com/story/trumps-victims-of-immigration-crime-engagement-office-what-you-should-know and another piece on why it is so troublesome: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/03/02/adolf-hitler-also-published-a-list-of-crimes-committed-by-groups-he-didnt-like/?utm_term=.cc9f622a73f4
- “President Donald Trump’s team rejected a course for senior White House staff, Cabinet nominees and other political appointees that would have provided training on leadership, ethics and management, according to documents obtained by POLITICO.” http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-ethics-white-house-235586
- Bannon and Sessions have long held similar views in how American should be re-shaped. It is rather unsettling: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/28/magazine/jeff-sessions-stephen-bannon-justice-department.html?_r=0