3/26/17 To-do List
Ø Please share Rogan’s List in your Facebook groups, Twitter, etc
Ø Please subscribe: In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
Contact Government Officials
- Let’s thank Rep. Kennedy for his continued support for quality healthcare for all Americans. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUdj1-HKFKI&feature=youtu.be Contact him here: https://kennedy.house.gov/contact
- Call the local offices of your legislators and ask what the security process is for letters and postcards. From what a subscriber has told us those items that are mailed to DC offices gets processed centrally where they open, security check, then scan into storage. The Rep gets his scanned view in about a week - postcard or letter. Then receives the physical copy within a month. Since we will be doing this even more regularly, lets find out the best way to address our concerns via snail mail.
- From Postcards for America: PCA for ALL STATES to Postcard your STATE ATTORNEYS GENERAL in support of the investigation into Exxon led by AG Eric Schneiderman (NY) and AG Maura Healey (MA) The Attorneys General are investigating whether Exxon discovered decades ago that human behavior is causing a rise in global temperatures and then lied about it. http://time.com/4700576/rex-tillerson-used-email-alias-exxon-climate-change-investigation/ Find state attorneys general here: http://www.naag.org/naag/attorneys-general/whos-my-ag.php
- Let’s call on our senators to delay confirmation of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court until the investigation into Trump/Russia is complete. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLZt4q9h3vs&feature=youtu.be
- We all know how our reps would have voted on Friday. Let’s be sure to follow up with them and express your support for the GOP bill being pulled. We can also let them know how we feel they handled the issue and what we want to see in the future for healthcare.
- Let’s keep calling all our legislators for an independent investigation of the Trump/Russia connection. Let’s let them know that we are part of the majority of Americans who want this. https://secure.politico.com/story/2017/03/poll-trump-russia-investigation-independent-commission-236470 Ask your legislators to support H.R. 356 which would set up a 12-member commission that would be tasked with investigating foreign interference in the 2016 presidential election.
- Senate voted 50-48 to undo FCC's broadband privacy rules. This bill would allow internet service providers (ISPs) to sell user data, including browsing history and location data, without user consent. Now the bill heads to the House. https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/03/congress-debates-reversing-course-decades-consumer-privacy-protections Let’s make sure this does not pass in the House. Let’s call our reps and tell them we oppose H.J. Res 86 and S.J. Res 34 and that we want to preserve our legal rights to consumer online privacy.
- Let’s encourage our local schools to up their teaching of evaluating sources and ferreting out fake news like this school does: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/20/nyregion/fake-news-brooklyn-middle-school.html
- Ever wonder what happens after we sign an online petition? What happens after the deadline can certainly vary, but check out what PBS Kids did with their signatures: http://parentstogetheraction.org/2017/03/23/delivered-600000-save-pbs-kids-petitions-congress/ Let’s find ways to be as creative!
On Monday evening, there will be a live-broadcast strategy session on how to stop the Keystone XL pipeline. Learn more about the broadcast, see who the speakers will be, and RSVP here: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/KXL-oneclick
- Cuts to the EPA will hurt our citizens. The impact will be measured in illnesses and deaths. https://theintercept.com/2017/03/24/a-louisiana-town-plagued-by-pollution-shows-why-cuts-to-the-epa-will-be-measured-in-illnesses-and-deaths/ Contact your legislators to voice your concerns about these cuts.
- No matter where we live we can help change the face of Congress by helping with upcoming special elections. Here are some current opportunities:
- April 11: James Thompson is seeking election to the 4th Congressional District of Kansas, Sign up here to help: http://www.votejamesthompson.com/volunteer
- April 18: Jon Ossoff is seeking election to the 6th Congressional District of Georgia. Sign up here to help: https://electjon.com/volunteer/
- Ay 25: Rob Quist is seeking election to the sole Congressional District of Montana. Sign up here to help: https://quist.bsd.net/page/s/homepage-volunteer
Petitions to Sign
- Let’s sign this petition to tell the Republicans to stop attacking Social Security, Medicaid, and Medicare: https://petitions.signforgood.com/savesocialsecurity
- We all know that “right to work” laws are shams. And now, we learn that Trump has indicated “the president believes in ‘right-to-work’” and he wants to do “what’s in the best interest of job creators.” Let’s sign here and let them know that we believe in the best interest of the workers: https://petitions.signforgood.com/right-to-work/
- “A Recharge Toolkit”: http://tinyletter.com/revel-reflect-recharge/letters/a-recharge-toolkit
- An in-depth look at which reps stopped the healthcare bill: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/24/us/politics/republicans-opposed-health-care-bill.html?_r=0
- Check out the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) write up in response to Trump's first list of suspected crimes by immigrants: https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2017/03/23/trumps-ice-bulletin-aims-shame-sanctuary-cities-its-numbers-are-skewed