3/25/17 To-do List
Ø Please share Rogan’s List in your Facebook groups, Twitter, etc
Ø Please subscribe: In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
Contact Government Officials
- We were heard. The healthcare bill was not even brought to a vote. It is clear there is not a mandate to repeal the ACA. In fact, it is reported that calls, OUR calls, were 50 to one against the replacement bill. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/03/24/per-house-members-phone-calls-on-the-gop-health-bill-run-35-to-1-against/?utm_term=.5fa9fc4eb944 Our action on this: let’s smile, take a deep breath, savor the moment, and keep working.
- Now that Trumpcare has been put by the wayside, it's time to focus onward for healthcare in the U.S. Let’s call our representatives and ask them to support H.R. 676: Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act https://www.healthcare-now.org/legislation/hr-676/
- By now we’ve all seen the photo of the Freedom Caucus deliberating on specific issues regarding healthcare, particularly women’s healthcare. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-obamacare-men-mike-pence-picture-no-women-freedom-caucus-repeal-healthcare-bill-a7647426.html These members, who are very pro-life, do not accept that quality healthcare should be a human right for our citizens and if we truly value all life, this is very much a right-to-life issue. If we need to know who to target for seat takeovers, we’ve found them. Start organizing!
- Rep. Nunes actions as chair of the House Intelligence Committee are unprecedented. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/devin-nunes-russia-trump-investigation-democrats-236471 Let’s all contact him and demand he step down...after leaking information unethically to Trump, who is under investigation by this committee, he no longer is impartial and we need a completely INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATION NOW! STEP DOWN NUNES. CALL: Nunes Clovis office: (559) 323-5235, Nunes Visalia Office: (559) 733-3861. Nunes DC office: (202) 225-2523
- Let’s call our senators and ask them to cosponsor and support the bipartisan S. 718: A bill to amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to make college affordable and accessible, also known as the Making Education Affordable and Accessible Act. This legislation would support dual enrollment so that high school students can earn college credit, but without the financial cost: https://www.franken.senate.gov/?p=press_release&&id=3650
- Trump approved the permit for the Keystone XL pipeline yesterday. This is not a good move for the environment or for the economy. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/24/business/energy-environment/keystone-oil-pipeline.html After it is built, this Canadian venture will employ only 35 workers. TransCanada, the company behind the Keystone XL pipeline, must still get approval to route the pipeline through Nebraska and the Nebraska Public Service Commission (PSC) is taking public comments now. Let’s join the Sierra Club and speak up against this: https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0074452&id=70131000001iOuIAAU
- From one of our own: we should all write to the DNC, Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer and put massive pressure on them to work out the kinks in Obamacare, invite the Republicans to the table and fix things! This will be the biggest test of the Democratic Leadership and we need to let them all know that we EXPECT no less!
- Rep. Schiff, the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee is calling on us to call committee members and demand the public hearing on the Trump/Russia connection that Nunes canceled. The public deserves to know the facts. http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/24/politics/devin-nunes-paul-manafort-house-intelligence/ Contact majority members here: http://intelligence.house.gov/about/hpsci-majority-members.htm and minority members here: http://intelligence.house.gov/about/hpsci-minority-members.htm
- Here’s something for us NOT to do! http://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus/la-fi-lazarus-chatbot-phone-scam-20170324-story.html
- From one of our own: I've written to my representatives in Congress asking them to tell staff to take all contact from constituents seriously, no matter the form. Why? Because sending an email or signing a petition might be a "heavy lift" for people who are ill or disabled. I have friends who cannot visit offices, cannot make phone calls, and cannot write lengthy correspondence. Why should their contacts be ignored. As I said to my reps, this is tantamount to denying them their citizenship rights. Let’s do the same!
- The NCAA remains firm in their opposition to North Carolina's HB 2; they have informed North Carolina that next week they will be making final decisions on where their championships will take place. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article140383638.html Let’s send a postcard or give the NCAA a call to thank them for supporting transgender rights: 700 W. Washington Street, P.O. Box 6222, Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222, Phone: 317-917-6222
We can get a free “Resist” bumper sticker from MoveOn.org: https://act.moveon.org/survey/get-your-free-resistance-sticker-v2r2/ Once we sign up for one free one, we have the option of purchasing more.
Petitions to Sign
- Let’s join the Rainforest Action Network’s efforts to have bank CEOs defund the XL pipeline: https://www.ran.org/defundkxl
- Democracy for America thinks that the Gorsuch confirmation process should be halted until after the Trump/Russia investigation is over. We agree. Let’s sign: http://act.democracyforamerica.com/sign/scotus-trump-russia?
- We all need this weekly dose of Small Victories to remind us what and why we are doing and to give us motivation to continue: http://www.peaceisloud.org/blog/small-victories-issue-12 and we have to include this: http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=6270c05c515a81ad526eb34b3&id=985b6ffb1d
- And then, there were ten. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/03/23/here-are-ten-critics-of-vladimir-putin-who-died-violently-or-in-suspicious-ways/?utm_term=.e48f69d4f706
- “Essential Health Benefits and Why They Matter”: http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/politics/essential-health-benefits-obamacare-freedom-caucus/index.html