3/24/17 To-do List
Ø Please share Rogan’s List in your Facebook groups, Twitter, etc
Ø Please subscribe: In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
Contact Government Officials
- There were not enough votes to bring the ACA repeal bill to the floor of the House yesterday. Apparently, not all legislators are giving their constituents the same, or even correct information. https://www.propublica.org/article/we-fact-checked-lawmakers-letters-to-constituents-on-health-care Since we have more time, let’s let our reps know that we know the truth and we do not want the plan they are offering. Scroll down to see how House reps are leaning: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/20/us/politics/health-care-whip-count.html
- Four introvert-friendly resistance tactics: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FO13Ls8zAj06VODUbnhu7kg17kfSTZxyirruG-yEanw/mobilebasic
- There should be no security clearance for Ivanka, nor should she have an office in the White House. A top advisor in an unnamed position in the White House is not normal. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/ivanka-trump-white-house-236273 Let’s write to the Ethics Office and voice our concerns: US Office of Government Ethics 1201 New York Ave NW # 500, Washington, DC 20005
- From Postcards for American: Let’s send postcard to OUR OWN Reps about HR726 and HR727, which will prohibit federal funding of National Public Radio (NPR), and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. We seriously need to fight to keep our good news sources. Any federal funding of NPR comes via the Corporation for Public Broadcasting that had requested $99.1 million for Radio and $298 for Public TV from the Government that would now not be forthcoming.
- Let’s thank Rep Fukumoto, Hawaii State House member who, citing racism and sexism, has chosen to switch from being a Republican to a Democrat. http://www.kitv.com/story/34975293/rep-fukumoto-jumps-from-gop-to-democratic-party Address:
- Nevada ratified the Equal Rights Amendment yesterday. http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/03/21/520962541/nevada-on-cusp-of-ratifying-equal-rights-amendment-35-years-after-deadline Two states to go! The 14 states that have not yet ratified the Equal Rights Amendment are Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah, and Virginia. If we live in these states, let’s start the pressure on our state democrats to lead this and get us over the top!
- Sen. Schumer says that the Dems will filibuster the Gorsuch vote. https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/gorsuch-confirmation-hearing-to-focus-today-on-testimony-from-friends-foes/2017/03/23/14d21116-0fc7-11e7-9d5a-a83e627dc120_story.html?utm_term=.6e785e260d87 Let’s contact our senators and tell them that we support this.
- Senator McCain has declared that Congress does not have the credibility to handle the Russian probes: http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/325330-mccain-congress-doesnt-have-credibility-to-handle-russia-probes After we call our representative to ask for an independent committee, let’s also be sure to call and thank Senator McCain for speaking up: (202) 224-2235
Nunes’ unethical behavior as the chair of the House Intelligence Committee
is unprecedented. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-schiff-idUSKBN16T2Z1 Let’s call Rep. Jason Chaffetz, House
Oversight Committee chair and demand he investigate or publicly admonish
Rep. Nunes: (202) 225-7751
- We can also send a postcard to Rep. Nunes to let him know what you think of his actions and remind him that it is time to put country before party. We are watching. Rep. Nunes’ s address: Longworth House Office Building, Suite 1013, Washington, DC 20515
- Would we like someone to collect all your Internet browsing history and sell it to a third-party without your permission? 50 Senate Republicans think we'd like that and the bill passed the Senate. The Senate passed S.J. Res. 34, which undermines net neutrality. http://www.androidcentral.com/senate-votes-strip-away-your-online-privacy Find out how your MoC voted (scroll all the way down), and give them a call to let them know what you think of their vote: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/115-2017/s94
- Activism Engine has been building a site aimed at making it as easy as possible for us to get involved on issues we care about (at the national, state and local level) in three main areas (proposed legislation, direct action, and organizations) and to take any of a number of actions (calls, rep lookup, send emails and letters, attend hearings, marches, rallies, join, donate, volunteer, register to vote, share, and several others) related to those areas. The site also has a dashboard (https://activismengine.org/myactivism/) where we can track our involvement on the issues, find actions near us, look up our reps, and more.
Petitions to Sign
- Let’s join MoveOn.org in demanding that all Trump-related legislation and appointments be put on hold until a proper investigation of the Trump/Russia involvement is completed: https://petitions.moveon.org/sign/shut-down-and-investigate/
- Sen. Kennedy wants us to join him to let Congress know that many of us want people to continue to be protected as they are under the ACA: http://takeaction.joekennedyforcongress.com/petition/affordable-care-act/a/
- Can Librarians Save Us From Fake News? https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/can-librarians-save-us-from-fake-news
- “Did the Ides of Trump Hit a Million?” http://www.independent.com/news/2017/mar/18/did-ides-trump-hit-million/
- There’s been a lot of talk about the House Freedom Caucus. Just who are they? http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/20/house-freedom-caucus-what-is-it-and-whos-in-it/
- “What the GOP Doesn’t Get About Who Pays for Health Care”: http://www.newyorker.com/business/adam-davidson/what-the-g-o-p-doesnt-get-about-who-pays-for-health-care