3/23/17 To-do List
Ø Please share Rogan’s List in your Facebook groups, Twitter, etc
Ø Please subscribe: In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
Contact Government Officials
- The ACA repeal vote is today. Here is a list of all the GOPs who are undecided on the #AHCA that includes their emails, Twitter, faxes and phone numbers for all of their district offices. Let’s get to work! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OZIW9VBrSiUk5qgNynYq7udabSVIKQ8q27IsGbrjkZU/edit?usp=sharing
- From Weekly Actions to Resist Trump: Demand a special prosecutor investigate #russiagate: http://www.weekly-resistance.online/
- “All people also yearn for beauty and they also long for grace,” he said. “And the notion that low-income and working-class people do not derive meaning from the arts? That notion is insulting and ignorant.” https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/03/21/the-arts-are-the-soul-of-the-country-and-are-worth-fighting-for-ford-foundation-leader-tells-arts-advocates/?utm_term=.40392f67bf56 Let’s ask our legislators to stand up with these folks.
- From Alt National Park Service: No drilling on public lands: Republican senators are coming out against a CRA resolution that would repeal an Interior Department regulation governing oil and natural gas drilling on federal land, this has stalled it in the Senate. We need your help to pressure your senator to vote against repealing this regulation. Here is a list of some of the undecided Senators: U.S. Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine), Senator Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), Senator Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Senator Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.), and Senator Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.). Please call/email/fax your senator even if they are not on this list! Call your senator at (202) 224-3121.
- Let’s join the Union of Concerned Scientists and tweet our senators with these ready-made tweets to protect science-based safeguards: http://www.ucsusa.org/center-science-and-democracy/tweet-your-senator-protect-science-based-safeguards#.WNLLEjsrLIU
- As if we needed another reason to dislike the GOP healthcare proposal, one of the Monday night changes was to force new mothers to be working within 60 days of childbirth or lose their Medicaid insurance. https://degette.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/in-updated-repeal-bill-republicans-tell-new-mothers-find-work Let’s tell our reps that there is no need to tighten this protection for new moms.
- Let’s join the Democratic Coalition Against Trump and tell Congress to investigate the Trump/Russia connection: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/tell-congress-immediately-investigate-trumps-ties-to-russia
- 5 Calls is demanding Devin Nunes recuse himself from the Russian investigation. Let’s join them: https://5calls.org/#issue/recBXMKE9BSY4zzGU
- The Trump administration is trying to erase LGBT elders from an annual national survey on aging. Let’s let them know that we want this group to continue to be included. https://actionnetwork.org/letters/trump-administration-erasing-lgbt-elders
- Internet service providers want to collect and sell our browsing data. Congress is voting on a bill to allow them to do that. Let’s tell them that is not what we want. Our privacy is more important than corporate profits, https://www.savebroadbandprivacy.org/
- Youth Organizing Summit is on the lookout for young political leaders to attend their upcoming conference in Washington, DC. Join them April 27 & 28 in D.C. as they pull together the best and brightest grassroots organizers, movement allies, and funders from every corner of the country. They are teaming up with Planned Parenthood, NextGen Climate, Roosevelt Institute, and more to create a space for youth power to thrive and grow. At the Summit, attendees will build relationships with other organizers and funders; strengthen organizing skills for their teams; and help plan for mobilizing young people in 2017 and 2018. Check out https://youthorganizingsummit.org/ for more information on the agenda, how to register, and pricing.
- Join the ACLU and call on Acting Deputy Attorney General Dana Boente to appoint a special prosecutor on Jeff Sessions and Russia: http://bit.ly/2mSTLOX Contact information for Department of Justice: https://www.justice.gov/contact-us
- Professionals who would like to volunteer their work and expertise to take back the Democratic majority- check out Prolog: https://www.weareprolog.org/for-professionals
- Want to learn how you can expand sanctuary in your city? Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) will be hosting a webinar today (Thursday, March 23rd), with speakers Tania Unzueta, Policy and Legal Director with Mijente, and Janaé Bonus, National Public Policy Chair with Black Youth Project 100 (BYP 100). Registration: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/0ef2c6ce1cfad379d746f627e8486654
- The U.S. and U.K. have implemented a limited ban on electronic devices on foreign flights from multiple Muslim-majority countries. There are numerous concerns with this ban, and the Thinking Person's Guide to Autism is asking autistic community members to complete a poll so that they can help address one of those concerns: https://www.facebook.com/thinkingpersonsguidetoautism/posts/1471876316187024 More on the ban: http://wapo.st/2nZm4en
- Many of us are thinking about the notion of tax resisting. Here’s some info: http://citizentruth.org/want-tax-resist-not-alone/ and an organization that provides even more: http://nwtrcc.org/ and a Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1153720564738729/
- Voices is partnering with advocacy groups to change the way group members participate in the policy process. Check them out! https://tryvoices.com/
- Let’s join the World Wildlife Federation in observing Earth Hour this Saturday from 8:30 to 9:30 pm along with hundreds of millions of people around the world by turning off our lights for one hour to show our commitment to the planet and our collective fight against climate change. https://www.worldwildlife.org/pages/earth-hour
Petitions to Sign
- Sen. Booker feels that we need to stop the use of private prisons. The Bureau of Prisons inspector general has reported that these privately-owned facilities are less secure and less safe than their federal counterparts, and have had repeated cases of civil rights violations. Let’s sign on: http://act.corybooker.com/page/s/end-private-prisons
- The House has already passed the bill, so let’s sign Mark Kelly’s letter asking Congress to not allow severely mentally ill veterans purchase guns. As Gabby Gifford’s husband, he knows what a gun in the wrong hands can do. https://secure.americansforresponsiblesolutions.org/page/signup/VA-firearms-letter
- From Reba (one of our own) who spent a year as a policy fellow in a US Senate office and now is a federal science policy professional: This is the rule of thumb: the harder it is for a constituent to do, the more weight it is given. Which makes sense - people are driven to undertake a "heavy lift" (in any situation) when they are most passionate and involved and care the most. Members and their staff know this - it is basic human psychology. So they pay attention when constituents do things that are hard/ time-consuming/ personal/ require commitment. That is, in rough order: show up in person (at an office, or a town hall, or a local protest); call them on the phone; send a *personal* email that includes a personal story and is written in your own words, from your personal email account. That's it. Faxes, petitions, social media, postcards create buzz and PR but are not much of an influence on a member. And there is no way around that.
- A reminder why business people should not be running schools or governments: https://www.facebook.com/fusionmedianetwork/videos/1860159380676698/
- “Fixing Relationships This Election Has Broken” http://johnpavlovitz.com/2017/03/22/fixing-relationships-this-election-has-broken/