3/14/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
Contact Government Officials
- The ACA was a long, thoughtful, drawn-out process, despite what the GOP said at the time. https://www.facebook.com/RepRaskin/videos/1480564678623186/ Let’s ask our legislators to slow down and do this replacement with the due process they thought important years ago. We, the people, deserve better than this this.
- The CBO numbers have come out on the GOP healthcare bill, and they are dismal: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/13/us/politics/affordable-care-act-health-congressional-budget-office.html?mwrsm=Facebook Let’s use this to help us understand them: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/12/upshot/five-things-to-look-for-in-the-cbo-report-on-health-care-reform.html?_r=0
- With this is mind…….From one of our own: Senators--even Democrats--are reporting they aren't getting that many calls opposing Trumpcare. Maybe people are call weary, but we need to step it up. Call, call, call!
- The Expanded and Improved Medicare for All bill, introduced by Rep Conyers (D-MI), has 65 co-sponsors. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/676 While a long shot, it is an option: http://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus/la-fi-lazarus-medicare-for-all-20170203-story.html Let your legislators know that you know there are other, better ways to handle healthcare.
- The query assumes failure, but we know it is not always true. The White House wants to hear how the ACA has impacted our lives. Let’s tell our stories here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/obamacare-share-your-story
- The SCRUB act (Searching for and Cutting Regulations that are Unnecessarily Burdensome), H.R. 998 would give an unelected commission influence over Congress to get rid of regulations over environment, health, and workplace safety. It has already passed the House. Call your senators and ask them to oppose this act. Indivisible Guide has scripts available: http://bit.ly/2n0VQvr
- Call the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs and ask them to oppose the REINS Act. They will be voting this Wednesday, March 15: https://5calls.org/#issue/recesZBPgCxPOfZYZ
- Let’s not forget about the Russian interference problem. Every day call members of the House Intelligence Committee asking for an independent investigation. We will not let them bypass this. Find members here: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/committees/HLIG
- The Trump campaign wants us to evaluate his first 50 days. Let’s kindly do so here: https://action.donaldjtrump.com/president-trump-first-50-survey/
- We Watch and We Vote is a new postcard initiative that begins on March 15 and runs indefinitely. We are urged to regularly send postcards to those in government using either handmade or downloaded postcards with eyes on them and messages conveying that we are watching and we will be voting. Be creative!
- There are pro-Trump “Make America Great Again” marches scheduled for Mary 25. Details here: http://www.magamarch.org/ Let’s organize ourselves as needed. Their FB group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/magamarch/
- From on of our own: Concerned by the shortage of government experience and early missteps by Trump administration officials —including President Trump — a group of lawyers is launching a watchdog organization that will seek to track the administration's ethics and expose potential conflicts, fraud or other wrongdoing. : http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/13/new-legal-watchdog-seeks-trump-administration-records-sunshine-week/99034426/ Check them out and get updates: https://www.americanoversight.org/
- CrowdPac just came up with a great idea and started up a fund to oppose Rep. Steve King (R-IA) given all the insane white nationalist statements he has been making including his recent tweet "We can't restore our civilization with somebody else's babies." More info here: https://www.crowdpac.com/campaigns/193142/kick-out-racist-white-nationalist-steve-king
- Click here for free downloadable professionally-designed resistance postcards: http://www.postcardsfromthepeople.com/ If you use any of these, snap some photos and post on social media with the hashtag #PostcardsFromThePeople P.S. They are also looking for more artists and designers to join them!
Petitions to Sign
- Let’s add our names to this list of leaders who know that recusal is not enough. Sessions needs to resign as Attorney General: https://petitions.signforgood.com/resignsessions
- 45 and the GOP are trying to dismantle the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau which has returned millions of dollars to citizens and continues to protect us from fraud. Let’s sign Sen. Harris’ (D-CA) petition to help save the bureau: http://go.kamalaharris.org/page/s/cfpb
- Indivisible Guide has an extensive collection of information on the ACA, including scripts, explainers, and talking points: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources-2/2017/3/10/save-the-aca-1
- Read the latest “Weekend Reading” by the Southern Poverty Law Center: http://tinyurl.com/hryals7
- “Protest and Persist: why giving up hope is not an option”: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/13/protest-persist-hope-trump-activism-anti-nuclear-movement