4/28/17 To-do List
Contact Government Officials
- We all know that Russia remains the major story of this administration. We need to keep up a steady drumbeat with our MoC about Russia: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-greatest-single-achievement-almost-never-gets-mentioned/2017/04/26/6465447e-2aab-11e7-b605-33413c691853_story.html?utm_term=.732fbf08bcb7
- Is this Senator Enzi’s (R-WY) idea of more civility? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/04/26/a-u-s-senator-says-a-man-wearing-a-tutu-kind-of-asks-for-it Let’s remind him what civility really looks like: Senator Mike Enzi, 379A Russell Senate Office Building, Washington, DC, 20510
- We like the idea of moving manufacturing back to the states to support American workers who are treated better than those in some other countries like those who produce Ivanka’s line. http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/04/25/ivanka_trump_s_clothing_line_made_by_chinese_factory_workers_earning_1_an.html Let’s ask Ivanka and her dad to set an example and show other companies how this can be done by bringing ALL their manufacturing back to the states. https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact
- The Ninth Circuit Court has stayed more than a couple of Trump’s executive orders and he’s threatened to shut them down for usurping his power. Sen. McCain (R-AZ) and Sen. Flake (R-AZ) appear to agree with this have introduced legislation this week to do so. Sen. Daines (R-MT) and Sen. Sullivan (R-AK) also put forth similar legislation this week. The ninth circuit court, which covers California, Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, Alaska, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho and Montana, plus Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands, is the largest appellate court in the USA. The senators proposing this legislation come from conservative states and unsaid in the legislation but a long held belief by conservatives is that this court is too liberal in its decisions. However, their stated reason is that the court has too many cases. "Ninth Circuit Judge Alex Kozinski, a Ronald Reagan appointee, said Thursday that every attempt to split up the court has been misguided. By staying large, he said, the circuit can reallocate judges to where they’re needed most. The reason for the backlog over the years, he said, has been largely the result of open seats staying vacant for months, and a resistance to adding more judges to the circuit. “The problem is not solved until you appoint more judges.” The court is opposed to the split. http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-says-hes-absolutely-looking-at-breaking-up-the-9th-circuit-court-2017-4 Let’s let our senators know that we don't want the ninth circuit court split either and want them to vote no on these pieces of legislation.
- Scott Pruitt may be in violation of the Hatch Act by using his position in the EPA to campaign for the Oklahoma GOP. http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/330578-dem-pruitt-violating-anti-campaigning-law-with-gop-fundraiser We can file a complaint with the Office of Special Counsel. https://osc.gov/Pages/HatchAct-HowToFile.aspx
- Let's join Senator Al Franken (D-MN) and 130 MoC's in calling for Betsy DeVos to reinstate critical student loan borrower protections. https://www.franken.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=3681 Betsy DeVos, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20202
- "U.S. President Donald Trump has signed an executive order to allow national monument designations to be rescinded or reduce the size of sites as the administration pushes to open up more federal land to drilling, mining and other development." Trump and his Republican colleagues are making the predictable argument that states, not the federal government, should have the right to decide "which land is protected and which is open for development." http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-interior-monuments-idUSKBN17S1MH 31 senators, led by Tom Udall (D-NM), have sent an open letter to Trump objecting to the EO. Why don't we join Udall in telling Trump "Americans care deeply about the National Monuments and their voices should be considered if you proceed with any potential changes to the monument designations." We can let 45 know by sending him an email or calling him: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact. On Twitter, there is a hashtag associated with critique of this EO, so let's use it in our tweets: #MonumentsforAll.
- Since so many of us have already called our members of Congress to demand they #StopTrumpcare, here's something else we can do to protect our health care. We can all sign up with the ACA Defenders Team at this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfMiCjyVEprsCak0eifPbNorKx-C86ygqSasdbbLaA4gX874g/viewform. They will give us people to call in swing districts, provide us scripts to have them call their wavering members of Congress, and let us connect them right to their elected officials. With the Republicans proposing a "compromise" that's even worse for people with pre-existing conditions. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/04/27/this-amendment-could-revive-the-gop-effort-to-reform-health-care-here-is-its-potential-impact-explained/?utm_term=.97f9cc04a2a6), we need to put as much pressure as possible where it's most needed. All that's needed is a phone and a computer or tablet!
- Senate & House Judiciary Committee Leaders have reintroduced bipartisan legislation to counter rising prescription drug prices https://www.leahy.senate.gov/press/leaders. Let’s thank those involved in the Senate: https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/about/members and the House: https://judiciary.house.gov/subcommittee/full-committee/
- Perhaps it is for his ego or to line his pockets further, but Trump will be holding a rally this weekend rather than attend the annual White House Correspondents Dinner. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/22/trump-rally-100-day-white-house-correspondents-dinner-237483 Let’s let Trump know that both of these activities is very unpresidential and do not do much to unify the country: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact
- Trump is making his much-anticipated return to NYC on May 4 to meet with Australia’s prime minister Malcolm Turnbull aboard the decommissioned aircraft carrier USS Intrepid: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/nyregion/new-york-braces-for-trumps-first-return-as-president.html For those of us in the New York area, the Working Families Party has joined with Resist Here to organize a “welcome home” protest we can join, too! https://www.facebook.com/events/1198328846946489/
- “A Republican state representative from Belknap County, New Hampshire, accused of posting offensive and misogynistic comments in the online forum “The Red Pill” is refusing to “disappear,” despite calls by top GOP and state officials — including Gov. Chris Sununu — for him to resign.” http://www.newhampshire.com/state-government/Calls-for-state-rep-to-resign-grow-after-Red-Pill-revelations-04262017 Let’s write to him with our thoughts on what he should do: Rep. Robert Fisher, 107 North Main Street, Concord, New Hampshire, 03301
- Oh, Fox, sexist comments from your anchors? Didn’t the reaction to Bill O’Reilly teach you? http://thehill.com/homenews/news/330816-fox-host-jesse-watters-announces-vacation-following-backlash-over-ivanka-trump Let’s let Fox News that there is no place for sexism, racism, or any other kind of abusive language or behavior on news shows or amongst its employees: Fox News, 1211 Avenue of the Americas, NY, NY 10036
- The Peoples Climate March is this Saturday in Washington DC with sister marches around the country. More info here: https://peoplesclimate.org/
- The Trump administration has set up a hotline for us to report alien crimes at VOICE: Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement. This has nothing to do with public safety; in fact, immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than are the native-born: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/us/politics/trump-voice-immigrants-crime.html Apparently, the hotline has been getting lots of calls about outer space alien crimes. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39731085 Let’s make sure that we help with this endeavor by reporting those pesky out-of-this-world beings or join with #HearOURVoice, a project of the New York Immigration Coalition, and counter this effort by sharing our stories about why immigrants matter. Call 1-855-48-VOICE
- Here’s another way to counter Trump’s VOICE program, “Rep. Tony Cárdenas (D-CA) along with Jared Polis (D-CO), Norma Torres (D-CA), and Pramila Jayapal, (D-WA) announced the start of the http://lapostexaminer.com/cardenas-torres-polis-jayapal-announce-saint-promote-role-immigrants-america/2017/04/27 Let’s send . The taskforce will collect and share stories of documented and undocumented immigrants who have positively contributed to U.S. society through heroic or lifesaving acts.” our SAINT stories to Rep. Polis at Jared.Polis@mail.house.gov with the subject: I need to report a SAINT.
- From one of our own: A tip to stay safe -- When you see petition or donation sites, go to a WHOIS search (such as https://www.whois.com/whois/ ) and type in the domain name and see where the domain is owned, registered and managed. For instance, I just deleted a couple of donation links from a group called "crowdjustice[dot]org. That domain is registered, owned and managed in Panama. Panama does not have to adhere to the United States FCC laws and regulations. Your information - name, address, phone number, email address, BROWSING HISTORY, credit/debit card information - all of that can be up for grabs by anyone in the world that wants to buy it. Stay safe everyone!!
- Pretty and colorful postcards are fun, but for the price you can’t beat the stamped postcard for 38-cents from the US Post Office. If they are not available at our local post offices, we can order them here: https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?categoryNav=false&navAction=push&navCount=0&atg.multisite.remap=false&categoryId=cards-envelopes&productId=S_222110
- Nine major corporations stand particularly to profit from Trump’s agenda, especially those who finance immigrant detention and private prison companies. Corporate Backers of Hate has initiated a campaign to pressure the CEOs and the Boards of these corporations to end their collaboration with Trump’s anti-immigrant, anti-labor policies. http://time.com/4755885/trump-protests-corporations-activists/ Let’s check it out and see how we can help: http://www.backersofhate.org/en/
- Out-door clothing provider Patagonia is threatening to sue over Trump's National Monument executive order! Let's write to thank them for being good corporate citizens. http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/330788-patagonia-threatens-to-sue-trump-over-national-monuments Patagonia, 259 W. Santa Clara St., Ventura CA 93001
Petitions to Sign
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has returned nearly $12 billion to families ripped off by big banks, student loan servicers, credit card companies and predatory lenders. But Republicans in Congress have introduced legislation to start the process of gutting the CFPB. Let’s join the AFL-CIO in telling the White House and Congress to keep the CFPB: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/big-banks-need-a-watchdog-dont-gut-the-consumer-bureau
- Common Cause, a nonprofit, nonpartisan citizen's lobbying organization promoting open, honest and accountable government, gives us an insight into the ethics of Trump’s first 100 days showing it may be the most corrupt in our history. They also offer a petition as well. Let’s read and sign: https://stateoftheswamp.com/
- It’s not only Trump’s first 100 days it is ours as well. Fortunately, re-act has kept tabs for us: https://medium.com/@reactletter/the-peoples-100-days-58c089235c9c
- Bryce Covert, the economic policy editor at ThinkProgress, has written a very important op-ed piece on the Democratic “unity tour.” Covert makes clear the problem with the Democratic party’s efforts to subordinate “social issues,” like reproductive rights, to “economic” ones as if these were separable: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/opinion/why-abortion-is-an-progressive-economic-issue.html
- Eleven people, in a class action lawsuit, have sued Fox News for “intolerable” racial bias. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/business/media/fox-news-racial-discrimination-lawsuit.html
- Once again there are not enough votes to pass the ACA replacement so the vote is being delayed. Let’s hope the result is eventually the same as last time. We deserve something better, as promised. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/27/house-republicans-obamacare-repeal-votes-237685