4/13/17 To-do List
Contact Government Officials
- Trump is now threatening to withhold insurance payments as a tactic to get Democratic legislators to the table for healthcare reform. http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/328572-trump-threatens-to-stop-key-obamacare-payments-report Let’s let our MoCs know that we think this is blackmail and we will not tolerate it.
- From a group of resistance friends in Belmont, MA: Thank Rep. Ted Lieu (D-CA) for his clarity, humor, and trolling tweets that make the point. Address: 5055 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 310, Los Angeles, CA 90036
- While our legislators are home during this April recess there is much for us to do. https://www.thenation.com/article/with-members-of-congress-home-in-their-districts-help-bring-back-the-resistance-recess/ We need to keep up with our reps – thanking them when appropriate and keeping them aware of our concerns: 1) the Russian influence on the election and in the current administration, 2) that Bannon needs to be removed from the White House, 3) that Trump needs to show his taxes.
- From Postcards for America: PCA against the convening of a Constitutional Convention during which the Constitution could be rewritten. Write your State Representatives to ask them to Vote No on a Constitutional Convention. More info: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1STJpmhlSxYIhuuqNiS81980OSMaINcDlXdHZKIRWypc/edit
- The Trump administration has been creating a wider and wider divide between itself and the Jewish population. From not acknowledging Jewish victims on Holocaust Remembrance Day, to appointing anti-Semites to various positions in the administration, to skipping the White House Passover Seder, and now to Sean Spicer's now-viral comments regarding Hitler and "Holocaust Centers." It's time for the administration to take responsibility and be held accountable for their actions. http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/4/12/15270970/trump-administration-holocaust-denial-sean-spicer Let's contact our MoC and tell them we want Spicer to resign. For those of us who will be attending townhalls, or meeting with our MoC, we can make it a point to call for Sean Spicer's resignation.
- According to Trump's draft budget proposal, the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative is set to be completely eliminated. Protecting our Great Lakes from degradation is something we should all be concerned about. http://wapo.st/2puKE7Q Let's contact our MoC and tell them that we cannot lose this funding.
- In line with Trump's attack on immigrants is the proposed budget increase for detention centers. This cannot stand. http://nyti.ms/2oAnmQO Let's call on our MoC and ask them to block the increase in detention centers. 5Calls has more information and a call script available: https://5calls.org/issue/reck4iANy2Sj6dz2R
- As Elizabeth Warren tweeted,” In the choice between students & student loan companies, Betsy DeVos made clear she stands with companies that cheat & squeeze borrowers.” http://fortune.com/2017/04/12/betsy-devos-student-loans-obama/ Let’s contact our legislators and ask that they find a way legislatively to reinstate those protections that DeVos withdrew.
- “Kathleen Hartnett White, who says carbon emissions are harmless and should not be regulated, is a top contender to run the Council on Environmental Quality, the White House’s in-house environmental policy shop…” http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/donald-trump-kathleen-hartnett-white-climate-skeptic-job-237172 Our legislators need to know from us that this is not a good call. Our country needs people who believe in science.
- Public comment is always called for when regulations are changing. The EPA is now calling for public comment on the proposed rollbacks in regulations. https://www.epa.gov/laws-regulations/regulatory-reform Let’s make our voices heard.
- For a quality daily #resistance video update, let’s consider following Elizabeth Cronise McLaughlin on Facebook. She is fast-paced, energetic, and spot-on! https://www.facebook.com/elizabethcronise
- While James Thompson may have lost the special election in Kansas on Tuesday, the margin was so small that it gives great hope to 2018 when he will run again in the general election. We were all part of this growing movement to elect non-Republicans to Congress. The special election in Georgia next Tuesday can still use our help. We can join in a phone bank effort for the Democratic candidate Jon Ossoff here: https://electjon.com/volunteer/
- In the past, I’ve encouraged others to start action lists, like this one, for their own states since there is so much happening on that level of government as well. Happily, Michigan has done that! If you are from Michigan, subscribe to the miactionlist here: http://www.miactionlist.org/ If you are not from Michigan, consider creating something like this for YOUR state!
- More people are interested and involved in politics than ever before. In addition to the resistance work we are doing trying to change things, some of us are thinking of running for office. Let’s all think a little more about it. In addition to federal positions, there are city, county, township, state appointed boards as well as elected offices. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/cover_story/2017/01/how_to_run_for_office.html Let’s take a look at how we might be become active in this way, too.
- Let’s find a Resistance Recess event to attend during this April Congressional recess: https://www.resistancerecess.com/event/resistance-aprilrecess/search/
- This is the time for us to make plans for the People’s Climate March on April 29 in Washington, D.C. Let’s get more information and check out sister marches here: https://peoplesclimate.org/
- From Rise Stronger: Attending a town hall over the next two weeks? The Washington Post wants to help fact check what your members of Congress are saying at town halls around the country. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/04/11/dear-readers-help-us-fact-check-your-congressional-district-town-halls/?utm_term=.fd2d452aaf0c Here's who to contact: You can tweet them (@myhlee or @glennkesslerWP), find them on Facebook (Fact Checker or Michelle Ye Hee Lee) or email to email@example.com.
Petitions to Sign
- This week’s tragic shooting in San Bernadino is just another example of why it's so important for Congress to pass legislation that would keep guns out of the hands of domestic abusers. Let’s join Americans for Responsible Solutions asking Congress to do this: http://action.americansforresponsiblesolutions.org/page/s/close-the-gap
- Let’s join Sen. Stabenow in telling Trump to release his tax returns: https://act.myngp.com/Forms/4504855870030874624
- “The History of Self-Care: From its radical roots to its yuppie-driven middle age to its election-inspired resurgence” http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2017/04/the_history_of_self_care.html
- The newest VoteVets.org ad is very pointed and sincere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--0iAyVV96k&feature=youtu.be
- Time to bone up on our rights as airline passengers: https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights