4/26/17 To-do List
Contact Government Officials
- Trump has requested a special meeting with the entire Senate at the White House today. All indications point to his looking for permission to go to war over North Korea. China is asking Washington for patience. However, we know that Trump want to improve his ratings and needs to show that he is strong and decisive. He thinks that making a show of force would help him do both. Nothing Trump has done so far has been done in a careful, thoughtful manner. With two leaders such as Trump and Kim who are so volatile, this is getting more dangerous. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/world/asia/north-korea-nuclear-missile-program.html Let’s contact our senators and tell them to oppose a war decision and to impress that diplomacy, while it may be slow, is always the first choice.
- From Daily Action: Today's Daily Action is to call both of your Senators at (844) 241-1141 to demand an independent non-partisan commission, like the 9/11 Commission, to investigate Russian interference in the November election. After the House investigations became a debacle, the last great hope for Congress was that the Senate Intelligence Committee was going to get this right. For more info, click here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0k1qCMVpKZpQ2NzUHpfc1pwVWs
- From Postcards for America (PCA): HJ Res 46 introduced by Rep. Gosar (R-AZ) would encourage drilling in National Parks. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/02/01/this-lawmaker-wants-more-drilling-in-national-parks-and-he-just-became-more-powerful/?utm_term=.5e7d174128b5 Let’s use this guide from PCA to let our legislators know that we do not want this in our National Parks. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xXsXAnLKmRrAUG3JEQGmZ0aiPwQMB8-wUue4lL4uUyE/mobilebasic
- Our tax dollars should not be used to advertise Trump’s businesses. Even though it has been removed, let’s tell our oversight committees to investigate how it is that promotions for Mar-a-Lago appeared on State Department and US embassy websites. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/us/politics/mar-a-lago-winter-white-house-state-department.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur Contact: Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, 202-224-4751 or https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/contact; House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform: 202-225-5074; US Office of Government Ethics, 202-482-9300 or email: contactOGE@oge.gov.
- Both the Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-administration-moving-quickly-to-build-up-nationwide-deportation-force/2017/04/12/7a7f59c2-1f87-11e7-be2a-3a1fb24d4671_story.html?utm_term=.0dfd2b7b15ad) and the NY Times (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/13/us/detained-immigrants-may-face-harsher-conditions-under-trump.html) have reported in the last weeks on Trump’s plans to expand and harshen immigrant detention. Now Amnesty International has begun a campaign to let our MoCs know what we think of these plans and their projected expense to taxpayers like us: https://act.amnestyusa.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1839&ea.campaign.id=68620&ea.url.id=910522
- The White House has refused to release documents on Flynn to the House Oversight committee. Last month it was revealed that Flynn's lobbying office accepted $530,000 that likely benefited the Republic of Turkey. The Committee will require all of the documents to conduct a thorough investigation. http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/330410-white-house-rejects-oversight-request-for-flynn-documents Let’s let the White House know we want them to comply with the request by the House Oversight committee to provide the materials they requested on Flynn. https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/write-or-call
- Only eight states require genocide education as part of their curriculum. The Ann Frank Center for Mutual Respect has announced its “50 State Genocide Education Project” by announcing those state legislators who will be introducing such legislation. http://annefrank.com/50-state-genocide-education-project/ Let’s check this link and thank the legislators taking this on and follow and support the passage of these bills in our states.
- We have lived through trickle-down economics before and it failed. Trump is reported to want to cut the corporate tax rate to 15%, which will raise the deficit and affect generations to come: https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-wants-tax-plan-to-cut-corporate-rate-to-15-1493057898 Let’s let him know what we think of this: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20500
- CarsonWatch is joining hands with its national partners and allies for a national call-in day today – Wednesday, April 26th – to let Congress know that we support increased funding to the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). We can join in, click here: http://mailchi.mp/publicadvocates/action-alert-tell-your-representative-to-fund-housing-for-all
- Because he has no legislative accomplishments to point to in his first 100 days, Trump is bragging about the unprecedented number of executive orders he signed. Here's what Trump said about President Obama just one year ago: "The country wasn't based on executive orders. Right now, Obama goes around signing executive orders. He can't even get along with the Democrats, and he goes around signing all these executive orders. It's a basic disaster. You can't do it." https://www.apnews.com/e9f75e03bb7a41c1a44e9512d4990832/Trump-touts-executive-orders-he-once-lambasted Let's send him postcards with his own quote to remind him of his hypocrisy and to show that we're paying attention. The President, The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington DC 20500
- From one of our
own: The special election for Montana's
At-Large Congressional District is on May 25th. http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/330017-special-election-spotlight-shifts-to-montana
The DCCC has made a 'low six figure' contribution to Rob Quist's campaign.
Both Governor Steve Bullock and one of Montana's Senators, Jon Tester, are
Democrats, so this election is a winnable for the Democrats. Encourage the
DNC https://my.democrats.org/page/s/contact-the-democrats and the DCCC http://dccc.org/contact/ to do more to back Rob Quist:
send paid staffers and organizers plus more money to flip this district to
- Just in case you were wondering – the #resistance is #resilient. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/opinion/resilience-of-the-resistance-donald-trump.html?_r=0 Let’s find ways to take care of ourselves for the long haul.
- From one of our own: Indivisible Washington Environment Network is posting a Daily Docket for suggested topics for the EPA comments on Evaluation of Existing Regulations. Check them out here: https://sites.google.com/view/iwen/current-actions
- Ivanka was booed in Germany for promoting her family-friendly champion of a father https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/04/25/ivanka-trump-wants-to-help-female-entrepreneurs-they-say-her-dad-is-making-their-work-harder/?utm_term=.fae3baa0b6df Let’s send her a postcard to share our perspective on what is not family-friendly about her father: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20500
Petitions to Sign
- We know that the Trump administration, and specifically FCC chairman Ajit Pai, has put Net Neutrality under attack. What might be unclear, though, is just how big of a threat this is to all of us. It is about much more than selling your browsing history. Many aren’t aware that it’s thanks to Net Neutrality that anyone can mobilize online. When activists are able to turn out thousands of people in the streets at a moment’s notice, it’s because companies like Comcast aren’t allowed to block their messages or websites. The Trump administration is doing everything in its power to clamp down on dissent. If we lose Net Neutrality, it will have succeeded. Learn more about this issue (https://www.savetheinternet.com/net-neutrality-what-you-need-know-now). There’s a petition too (http://act.freepress.net/sign/internet_NN_trump), but best of all would be for us to bend our MoCs’ ears.
- ColorofChange.org wants us to join in their effort to tell Congress not to waste our tax dollars on building Trump’s wall. Let’s sign: https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/tell-congress-no-border-wall-money
- Real politics and law making isn’t riveting nor easy to follow. Long debates and votes scheduled at varying times make government hard to follow. How can the public stay abreast of legislation on issues that matter to them? http://www.cio.com/article/3191732/cloud-computing/open-media-project-increases-government-transparency-with-technology.html
- Moyers & Company has posted a useful update on the state of reproductive health legislation nationwide. Originally appearing in Mother Jones, it recounts current research from the Guttmacher Institute, a leading research and policy organization committed to advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights in the United States: http://billmoyers.com/story/state-reproductive-health-legislation-2017-not-exactly-expect/
- Swarm on! https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2017/04/25/why-a-decentralized-swarm-of-resistance-is-the-best-way-to-contain-trump/?utm_term=.729c367e8c78