4/10/17 To-do List
Contact Government Officials
- Many of us are still puzzling over last Thursday night’s air strike on Syria. Was it coincidental that it happened on the eve of Congress’ departure? On the same day that the Chinese president arrived? Most agree that 10-12 Tomahawk missiles would have been enough to do the job. Why 59 were used and yet the next day, the airstrips were functional and being used? And now, US warships are being deployed to the Korean peninsula? Are these a show of force to impress? To bolster Trump’s ratings? Garner media praise? No matter what, these are sudden, dangerous moves. http://www.smh.com.au/world/syria-air-strikes-why-the-prospect-of-a-us-war-against-russia-is-real-20170409-gvhdf7.html Let’s let Trump and our legislators know that we are not interested in World War III.
- Trump has nominated Sen. Mark Green (R-TN) as Secretary of the Army. Senator Green has a long history of LGBTQ discrimination. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/us/politics/mark-green-army-secretary-nominee-lgbt-criticism.html Call your senators and ask that they oppose Green as Secretary of the Army.
Let's call our representatives and demand that we give asylum to Syrian refugees. http://data.unhcr.org/syrianrefugees/regional.php 5Calls has a call script available: https://5calls.org/issue/recJelSda7trqff5W
- While Gorsuch was approved as justice to the Supreme Court, it took the GOP invoking the nuclear option for that to happen. Let's thank the senators who stood up against Gorsuch. NARAL Pro-Choice America has a "Thank you” form letter we can customize and send: http://actnow.prochoiceamerica.org/letter/170407_thank-you-senators/
- There is a growing bipartisan group in the House, the Climate Solutions Caucus, with its eyes on protecting the notion of climate change. http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/story/climate-solutions-caucus-led-south-florida-congressmen-expands Let’s thank the representatives who have joined and, if ours has not yet joined, let’s push a bit: http://citizensclimatelobby.org/climate-solutions-caucus/
- After 25 years working for the EPA, a staffer retired and wrote a letter to his boss, Scott Pruitt outlining his concerns under this new leadership. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/04/07/epa-staffer-leaves-with-a-bang-blasting-agency-policies-under-trump/?utm_term=.746affcf837a Let’s also write Pruitt a letter with our similar concerns: 1200 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20004
- We can still work on getting companies to stop advertising on O’Reilly’s TV show. We are having an impact. http://www.glamour.com/story/angies-list-is-the-latest-company-to-pull-ads-from-the-oreilly-factor This Google doc shows us who we still need to contact: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q_ZNcml-rN7I6XRakgXZdRQAxygVeB5P45zQYsZEQ_A/htmlview#gid=0 The doc gives us the company Twitter handle, but we can also find these companies on Facebook and by Googling the name of the company to find out other ways to contact them.
- A new website will let us fax art to Congress to help save the National Endowment for the Arts. https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-new-website-fax-art-congress-save-nea Let’s use it! https://artifax.us/
- The Movement for Black Lives will be hosting a webinar on April 12th called "Invest/Divest," which will discuss how we can move money away from organizations that do harm, and redirect our funds elsewhere. Registration: http://bit.ly/2lIcoYV
- Join Beyond the Moment's first action call this Tuesday, April 11th to learn about and share action items: http://bit.ly/2phGVdN
- Montana's special election is May 25th. Rob Quist is the Democratic candidate for Zinke's seat. Please send postcards to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the official campaign arm of the Democrats in the House, with the message "Montana House Seat Needs Your Support Now! Democrats can gain this seat with Rob Quist but they need the DCCC national support". Mailing Address: 430 S. Capitol St. SE Washington, DC.
- America Magazine is posing the question: Who is the most influential moral voice today? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScQwgIcsSQTOoeas4JFziqUqZ_UrjHsqOQcGdeT6GDt4me4sA/viewform
- Another opportunity to help flip Congressional seats! This one is called Sister District Project. “When you join the Sister District Project, you will be connected with your local home district team. After the primary elections in June, your team will be matched with a strategic, winnable race that needs your support. “ Check it out here: https://www.sisterdistrict.com/
- If you are not already following Dan Rather on Facebook, join the over two million of us who are. With his long and extensive background in covering politics, he is very insightful. Here’s the link: https://www.facebook.com/theDanRather/
- We can find today’s resistance tweetsheets here: https://resistancetweetsheets.wordpress.com/
Petitions to Sign
- Trump continues to remain silent on the Holocaust. http://forward.com/opinion/368631/anti-semitism-continues-trump-silent/?attribution=home-top-story-1-img Let’s join the Anne Frank Center for Mutual Respect in asking him to recognize the murder of six millions Jews: https://www.change.org/p/join-the-anne-frank-center-for-mutual-respect-in-asking-president-trump-to-recognize-the-murder-of-six-million-jews-on-yom-hashoah-holocaust-remembrance-day-on-the-jewish-calendar-monday-april-24-2017-thank-you
- In addition to a previous action item of calling Fox News to demand that they get Bill O'Reilly off the air, we can also sign CREDO Action's letter to 21st Century Fox, telling them to take a stand against sexual abuse and harassment and fire Bill O'Reilly: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/fox_oreilly/?t=1&akid=22516.11114362.ju7d0V
- Our weekly dose of Revel Reflect Recharge: http://tinyletter.com/revel-reflect-recharge/letters/let-s-review-the-concept-of-self-care
- Syria’s War: Who is Fighting and Why: https://www.facebook.com/ezraklein/videos/676576025863336/
- David Brooks, a conservative political and cultural commentator, is concerned about the upcoming incompetence crisis: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/opinion/the-coming-incompetence-crisis.html