4/11/17 To-do List
Contact Government Officials
1. The probably Russian influence on so many aspects of our politics and those of the world are troublesome indeed. The House and the Senate are working on investigations, but it is questionable just how non-partisan they can be. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-06/the-russia-probes-how-will-they-know-and-when-will-they-know-it Let’s continue to contact our legislators for an independent investigation….and sooner than later!
- From one of our own: Whoa, an actual bi-partisan bill that is in both the Senate and the House and could actually help people get jobs!!! http://www.govexec.com/management/2017/04/republicans-and-democrats-look-preserve-expand-obama-hiring-rule/136842/ Please consider asking your MoCs to support The Fair Chance Act!
- From one of our own: Here is a fun, creative April recess action. It’s a super simple video campaign that involves us posting 1-minute videos—the toolkit is here with sample tweets, boilerplate, etc. – please take it, use it, and share widely. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nFyIw35zGzrbx1DetpfbTcahihGe72rsIOw1B-ZOHkg/edit
- From the Brady Campaign: Congress is home for nearly two weeks and it's time to make some #GoodTrouble. We know there's a lot to say at upcoming town halls & meetings but we want to make sure our Representatives hear about ending America's epidemic of gun violence. We've set up a helpful guide here which includes a handy set of downloadable & printer-friendly town hall cards containing facts & questions about this issue plus agree/disagree signs. After yet another senseless shooting at an elementary school, this is critical.
- If our legislators hold sham town halls, Indivisible has a guide for that! https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resource/member-congress-holds-sham-town-hall/
- From one of our own: The census has to be able to count everyone so that in redistricting every vote will count: http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2017/04/trumps-threat-to-the-2020-census-000404 Let’s call all our federal legislators this week and tell them it's essential for our democracy to fully fund the Decennial Census.
- Another source of free printable (or to purchase) #resistance postcards: https://postcardsfortheresistance.tumblr.com/
- From one of our own: Have you guys heard of this? Send postcards to likely Dem voters in the GA 6th for the special election. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and they send you instructions and 5 addresses. It's quick, easy and kinda fun. I hope someday a stranger writes me to remind me to vote!
- The Indivisible Guide will be hosting its second Facebook Live event this Thursday, April 13th at 9pm ET. They are welcoming questions regarding Congress, the recess, and the Tax March, all of which can be e-mailed to email@example.com
- Let's register for the event and learn about policy priorities for this recess: http://bit.ly/2orK3GV
- Wetweet.org offers sample tweets for a variety of political issues, and walks you through the process of tweeting to your MoC. Let's utilize this great resource to let Congress hear our voices! http://www.wetweet.org/
- On July 1st, the Rise Up 5K will take place across the United States, with 100% of proceeds going to various charities and organizations. Learn more about the 5K, its causes, and find your local 5K event: http://riseup5k.org/about/
- The Women's March organization is hosting a Day of Action for Syria this Thursday, April 13th. They've suggested three ways we can participate: by attending a nearby vigil, by educating ourselves about what is happening in Syria, and by donating to organizations working with Syrian refugees: https://www.womensmarch.com/womenforsyria
- The Alliance to Reclaim our Schools is sponsoring a May 1st event called Build Schools not Walls. They are inviting us to a phone conference today in preparation of the event. Join Keron Blair, Executive Director of AROS, Randi Weingarten, President of the American Federation of Teachers, Jitu Brown, National Director of Journey for Justice, Jonathan Stith of the Alliance for Education Justice and others as they discuss the national movement to protect public education and win education justice. Tuesday, April 11th, 4:00pm Eastern, Call in #: (323) 393-4046, PIN: 607161
9. United Airlines overbooked a flight, as they often do, but things turned rough when a flight couldn’t find four passengers willing to give up their seats to accommodate four United Airlines employees who were flying standby. Doesn’t the definition of standby mean that one can fly IF there is an available seat? Forcibly removing and injuring a paying customer does not sound like good customer service. http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-united-drags-passenger-0411-biz-20170410-story.html Let’s let United Airlines know how we feel about this. Phone: (800) 864-8331 or Twitter: @united or Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/United/
Petitions to Sign
- The New Yorker satirist extraordinaire, Andy Borowitz, has helped create Families for Resistance to peacefully resist the Trump regime. They have recently launched a petition to boycott Trump's businesses in Central Park. Additionally, they are calling on the New York City government to cut ties with Trump. Let's join the boycott and sign the petition: https://www.change.org/p/boycott-trump-in-central-park
- Progressive Change Campaign Committee and Win Without War wants us to sign this petition telling Congress that any debate over Syria must start with the accepting refugees who make it through out time-tested and thorough vetting process. http://act.boldprogressives.org/survey/petition-syria-trump/
- Take a look at the great work by Sleeping Giant and Grab Your Wallet to bring about change with collective action (in the footsteps of MLK). http://www.cio.com/article/3188438/cloud-computing/how-tech-activists-harness-purchasing-power-to-bring-about-change.html
- Trump is used to TV ratings and tactics to bolster his ego. His first 100 days are not going especially well: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/donald-trump-first-100-days-237053
- The 2017 Pulitzer Prize winners were announced today. Several are for political reporting excellence. http://www.pulitzer.org/prize-winners-by-year