4/1/17 To-do List
Many of us in the #resistance are realizing that we need to make some changes in order to become sustainable and be here for the long term. To that end, Rogan’s List, will begin taking a proverbial day of rest. In doing so, YOU will also get a day of rest…at least from me! Starting this weekend, there will be no Sunday edition. – Susan Rogan
Contact Government Officials
- From The Loyal Opposition: “Urge your House member to call for the House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-CA) to be replaced as head of the Committee’s investigation into Russian interference in our election and the Trump campaign’s ties to Moscow, along with associated leaks.” More info and script here: https://www.theloyalopposition.net/daily-ctas/daily-call-to-action-march-31st-2017/
- From one of our own: Let's please all do this: pick a Bill, any Bill, and send a letter to your rep announcing that you like that Bill and would like to buy his vote. Ask him his going price on bills and how much one is worth vs another, and if he takes VISA or personal checks. Explain that you understand he is for sale. Maybe you know he'd sell out to anyone for the right price. Send a copy of your letter to your local newspaper as well. Have fun!
- When DeVos said that picking a school should be like choosing among Uber, Lyft or a taxi it is just another poor analogy that shows just how out of touch this administration is with so many of its constituents. https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/answer-sheet/wp/2017/03/29/devos-picking-a-school-should-be-like-choosing-among-uber-lyft-or-a-taxi/ Let’s all send DeVos postcards asking her “What about the folks who take mass transit or walk?” Department of Education Building, 400 Maryland Ave, SW, Washington, DC 20202
- We need to stay vigilant regarding the healthcare situation. Unless the ACA is replaced with something better for all of us, many medical communities will suffer. Here’s an example: http://www.bridgemi.com/public-sector/obamacare-survives-some-rural-hospitals-may-not Let’s keep reminding our legislators that we ALL need access to quality healthcare.
- Donald Trump wants to make deep cuts to the USDA. His plan would result in slashing many key conservation programs by more than 50%. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/trump-seeks-47-billion-in-cuts-to-usda-discretionary-spending/2017/03/15/c8fd5622-09ab-11e7-b77c-0047d15a24e0_story.html?utm_term=.9f31974dc251 We can use this handy link from Friends of the Earth to tell our senators not to let this happen: http://action.foe.org/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=21492
- From Green Action Together: “Withdrawing from the International Paris Climate Agreement and from all of our strategies for meeting our emissions targets is WRONG! We signed this agreement with practically every other country on earth to combat the devastating effects of climate change.” Let’s click here find more info and three calls to action: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9lQJQTQrNbMUl9BOEhlM1M5Sm8/view
- ‘You’re right Joe, but I can’t do anything about it because if I do the Koch brothers or somebody is going to drop $5 million into my race and I’ll lose my primary.’” This is why we need to change how we finance elections. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/joe-biden-merrick-garland-republican-senators-236720 Let’s tell our legislators that we think it is time for publicly-funded, transparent elections. Citizens United has to go!
- Even though he recanted his words, we all got the drift when Rep. Yoho (R-FL) claimed that Rep. Nunes (R-CA) ““…works for the president. He answers to the president.” http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/ted-yoho-misspoke-devin-nunes-works-for-the-president-236705 Perhaps, all our legislators need the reminder that they work for US. Let’s tell them.
- Each day another piece comes to light that makes the need for an independent investigation even more important. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-probing-whether-trump-aides-helped-russian-intel-in-early-2016/ Let’s keep telling our MoCs that this is the right way to go to get to the bottom of this.
- Sen. Collins (R-ME) and Sen. Murkowski (R-AK) voted against their party, but voted for women in the H.J. Res 43/ Title X vote this week. Let’s thank them. A) Sen. Collins: https://www.collins.senate.gov/contact and 2) Sen. Murkowski: : https://www.murkowski.senate.gov/contact/email or https://www.murkowski.senate.gov/contact/office-locations
- The winner of this year’s Google contest for young people to create a doodle about what they see for the future should give us all great hope: https://doodles.google.com/d4g/ Let’s all send Sarah congratulations at her school: Sarah Harrison, Bunnell High School, 1 Bulldog Blvd, Stratford, CT 06614
- Sign up to get “United States of Resistance”, a weekly industry newsletter sharing the top news from across the resistance. https://www.risestronger.org/sign_up
- From one of our own: For those of us out west who want to take part in a Cesar Chavez Day march in person in this weekend, we can find where the United Farm Workers are hosting them here: https://secure.ufw.org/page/event/search_simple. For the rest of us, we can find details on how to march virtually and participate here: http://ufw.sollink.net/_board.php?mode=view&b_code=take_action&b_no=19168&page=&field=&key=&n=
Petitions to Sign
- Let’s tell the NCAA to Reject North Carolina’s Fake HB2 Repeal – add our names here: https://actionsprout.io/0F2FEA
- KitchenAid sponsors several women’s golfing events. Let’s tell KitchenAid that we don’t think they should sponsor a golf event at a Trump golf course when we know his attitude toward women: https://act.weareultraviolet.org/sign/kitchenaid_usga/
- Here’s a fascinating looks at the information war: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/uw-professor-the-information-war-is-real-and-were-losing-it/
- Just WOW: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/obama-officials-made-list-russia-probe-documents-keep-them-safe-n741146?cid=eml_nbn_20170331
- Let’s sit back and enjoy recalling the successes of the past week with this link to “Small Victories”: https://www.peaceisloud.org/blog/small-victories-issue-13.