4/24/17 To-do List
Contact Government Officials
- Here's something to try the next time we call our MoCs: let them know (politely) what people are saying about them on social media. While the DC staffs are undoubtedly the ones monitoring our representatives' social media accounts, it doesn't hurt to reinforce the message by summarizing the discussion for staff on our local offices. For example: "People on FB are really worried about Representative X's silence on recent military strikes. Has s/he made a statement yet?" OR: "Did you know there's a buzzy campaign on Twitter to urge Senator Y to have an in-person town hall? You should check out all the video questions folks have posted and let him/her know." Not only does this strengthen our message, but it also opens up the opportunity for real conversations with staff that, after all, have the most direct line to our MoCs!
- From RISE Stronger: Please call your U.S. Representative and both U.S. Senators to express your opposition to the Trump administration's short-term budget request for Fiscal Year 2017, which artificially insists on $33 billion in new defense and border spending and $18 billion worth of spending cuts elsewhere in order to prevent the federal government from shutting down on April 29. Instead, urge your Member of Congress to work across party lines to pass a "clean" spending bill that keeps the government funded at or near its current levels.
- Here’s a creative way to contact your MoCs about the ACA repeal/replace: https://messageinapillbottle.org/
- Not a single representative or senator who lives in the states that would be touched by the proposed border wall wants it built. https://www.wsj.com/articles/border-lawmakers-balk-at-donald-trumps-wall-request-1492802294 Let’ ask our legislators to talk with them and find out why in hopes they will agree.
- Trump’s 100th day is coming up on April 29th. Let’s let him know in writing how we think things are going: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20500.
- The March for Science demonstrated how much we care about truth, facts, and critical reasoning. It also shows how much we care that there be students who can become scientists (and other things!) http://studentdebtcrisis.org/current-student-loan-legislation/ Let’s push our MoCs to resolve the student debt crisis.
- From Rise Stronger: The EPA is calling for public comments on its regulations – the ones that protect us from polluted air and water, toxic chemicals, and climate change. The EPA needs to hear that Americans care about these protections, and are watching. There are two things you can do to pledge your support: 1) Show up or call in to one of five hearings and make an oral comment. The earliest hearing is this Monday, April 24 via phone at 11am EST. There are also hearings April 25, May 1, May 2 and May 9. More information here. and 2) Submit a written comment online by May 15.
- From Postcards for America: PCA for ALL STATES to Postcard your STATE ATTORNEY GENERALS in support of the investigation into Exxon led by AG Eric Schneiderman (NY) and AG Maura Healey (MA) Healey and Schneiderman are investigating whether Exxon discovered decades ago that human behavior is causing a rise in global temperatures and then lied about it. More details here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pVvC4A-kQ506u-YkUMH7BhNg7V6Jir2RT7ri7csQmg0/edit
- Prescription drug costs are continuing to rise. http://hub.jhu.edu/2017/04/03/drug-pricing-health-policy-expert-gerard-anderson/ Let’s all call our MoCs and ask that they cosponsor and support several bills that can bring down the high cost of prescription drugs. The Improving Access to Affordable Prescription Drugs Act of 2017 (S. 771) is a comprehensive bill to reduce drug costs by requiring drug companies to be open and honest about their pricing; let Medicare negotiate discounts; allow the importation of safe and affordable drugs from Canada; promote innovation from new funding for research and trials to awarding prize money for new cures; end tax breaks for Big Pharma’s constant TV ad campaigns; and boost generic drugs. Passing comprehensive bills is hard, and so here are two more bills that address individual issues: The Prescription Drug & Health Improvement Act (S. 348) is aimed at reducing Medicare part D prescription drug costs. The Affordable and Safe Prescription Drug Importation Act (S. 469; H.R. 1245), would amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to allow for the importation of affordable and safe drugs by wholesale distributors, pharmacies, and individuals.
- TheResistance Tweetsheets is looking at the first 100 days and so many broken promises. Go here for some good Twitter actions: https://resistancetweetsheets.wordpress.com/2017/04/23/13-broken-promises/
- On to the next march! This Saturday the People’s Climate Movement is sponsoring the main march in Washington, D.C. https://www.thenation.com/article/as-we-approach-the-peoples-climate-march-here-are-six-ways-to-fight-to-save-the-planet/ We can find sister marches here: https://peoplesclimate.org/sister-marches/
- Defensive tackle Alan Branch said that he could not go to the White House for the New England Patriots meeting with Trump because he’d never be able to look his daughters in the eyes again. https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2017/04/18/patriots-player-alan-branch-cites-donald-trump-lewd-access-hollywood-video-white-house-boycott/BP286z6OAAF9KEAIFUHxdJ/story.html Let’s thank him and the other 29 plays who chose not to attend for standing up for their beliefs: Alan Branch/New England Patriots, c/o New England Patriots, One Patriot Place, Foxborough, MA 02035
- “When being loyal involves not stating obvious truths, maybe you’re being loyal to the wrong thing.” A word to Republicans from conservative author and President Reagan’s speechwriter: https://www.wsj.com/articles/republicans-learn-the-limits-of-loyalty-1492727591 Let’s write her and thank her for speaking up and encourage her to continue speaking to the mainstream Republicans.. c/o Wall Street Journal , 1211 Avenue of the Americas , New York, NY 10036-8701
- The Rainbow Railroad, based in Toronto, is working to evacuate gay men from Chechnya. http://torontoist.com/2017/04/torontos-rainbow-railroad-responds-reports-gay-concentration-camps-chechnya/ They could use our help with donations. Here is their US site: http://americanrainbowrailroad.org/
- A West Virginia public school teacher, Sheri Sapp, tweeted out that Islam should be banned and that the world would be more peaceful without Muslims:
- http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Parents-and-students-react-after-Nitro-teacher-tweets-ban-Islam--420019034.html Let’s let her superintendent, Ronald Duerring, know why this is inexcusable for a public school teacher: email@example.com
- Postcards from Kate (weekday suggestions for expressing gratitude) had a particularly great idea: let’s thank Anita Hill for her pioneering courage in helping our society understand the harm of sexual harassment. Her address is: Professor Anita Hill, Brandeis University, 415 South St, Waltham, MA 0245
- 21st Century Fox has paid $98 million out in settlements and severance to deal with their culture of sexual harassment: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-mission-was-to-bring-down-bill-oreilly-the-final-days-of-a-fox-news-superstar/2017/04/21/00862918-2601-11e7-bb9d-8cd6118e1409_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_foxyear-615pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.32fc0e94aa36 How much more are they willing to pay to maintain their toxic culture? Let’s ask them: 21st Century Fox, 1211 6th Ave, NY, NY 10036
- Did you attend a March for Science on Saturday? If so, please take a moment to thank the police department in the city where you attended for supporting peaceful protests.
- From one of our own: Trump has declined to attend the White House Correspondents Association dinner this coming Saturday night, too thin skinned to handle a roasting. Instead, he will be boosting his ego by holding a campaign rally in Pennsylvania. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/22/trump-rally-100-day-white-house-correspondents-dinner-237483 People can visit https://www.donaldjtrump.com/schedule/ to reserve 2 tickets - and help keep the seats empty at the event!
- Jen Hofmann produces a weekly action checklist to stay engaged, but it also reminds us to take care of ourselves so we can keep resisting. Check out this week’s list: https://goo.gl/xevgF2
Petitions to Sign
- Here’s a petition for a 28th Amendment: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States." https://www.petition2congress.com/ctas/proposed-28th-amendment-to-united-states-constitution
- Let’s tell Congress to stop Trumps sneak attack on Social Security: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/trump_social_security
- A thoughtful read on the meaning of equal representation: https://www.northernexpress.com/news/opinion/equal-representation-equals-better-results-for-all/
- “BE in the world, even as you work to fix this part of it. Balance.” This week’s revel reflect recharge: http://tinyletter.com/revel-reflect-recharge/letters/unplug-and-resist
- America is regressing into a developing nation for most: https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/america-is-regressing-into-a-developing-nation-for-most-people