4/7/17 To-do List
Contact Government Officials
- Rep. Nunes has recused himself from the House Intelligence Committee’s work on the investigation on Russian influence in the election. “The California Republican suggested he made the decision because he said several “leftwing activist groups” filed accusations against him with the Office of Congressional Ethics. He said their charges are “entirely false and politically motivated.” “ WE were among those leftwing activist groups! http://www.cbsnews.com/news/devin-nunes-recuses-himself-from-russia-probe/ Now, let’s thank him for doing this and making the process less contentious.
- Now that the Senate has approved the nuclear option, the confirmation vote on Gorsuch for Supreme Court is set for today at 11am. Only 51, and not the original 60, votes are needed for his confirmation. http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/327601-senate-advances-trump-supreme-court-pick-after-triggering-nuclear-option Here is how the votes went yesterday: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/06/us/politics/gorsuch-supreme-court-vote.html Let’s use this link to get after ALL these senators to tell them we do not want Gorsuch, nor do we want to confirm any SCOTUS nominee until we have a president who is not under investigation. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XpnUJdUuMvhszIX3RWJ8b0N7F3UYQHVFAB56DS4v3DE/edit#gid=0
- From The Network for Public Education has prepared a toolkit called School Privatization Explained. Each one page fact sheet is designed to correct the misinformation that De Vos and others have used to push school privatization. From charter myths to ESAs, we pull off the masks. There are also maps so we can see where our states stand. https://networkforpubliceducation.org/9121-2/ Let’s use this information with our legislators (federal and state) and our local communities to support public education.
- The Secret Service has to forgo some of its usual activities to stay within their budget so that they can adequately provide security to the Trump family. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/us/politics/secret-service-trump-first-family-protection.html Time to let our legislators know we never intended our tax dollars to stop the Secret Service from doing all their jobs so that they can provide this kind of wide protection to three residences and traveling adult children.
- With talk of increasing our military budget and Trump’s seeming instance on proving his toughness, there seems to be an expansion of war powers that is going unchecked. After the bombing of the Syrian airport last night, this is all too true. http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2017/04/trumps-dangerous-expansion-of-executive-war-powers-000387 Let’s let our legislators know that we want diplomacy and sanctions to be our first line of defense and that when a military response is needed that Congress needs to be part of the decision-making process.
- The folks at Resistance Manual are now up and running on Facebook and Twitter! Let’s follow them! Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ResistanceManual/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/resistmanual
- Over 60 companies have stopped advertising on Bill O’Reilly’s Fox News show. There are still over 50 companies to go. We can help! This list will show you the Twitter handles, but we can find these companies on Facebook and through a Google search as well. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q_ZNcml-rN7I6XRakgXZdRQAxygVeB5P45zQYsZEQ_A/edit#gid=0
- The Environmental Defense Fund is sponsoring a webinar presentation, “Responding to Arguments by Climate Change Skeptics” on Thursday, April 20 at 8pm EDT. RSVP here: https://goo.gl/n9nDgv
- After the recent horrific attack in Syria, many are wondering how to help. One significant thing we can do is to provide funding for those organizations who are working directly with the victims: 1) The White Helmets: https://www.whitehelmets.org/en, 2) Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS): https://www.sams-usa.net/donate/, 3) Union of Medical Care and Relief Organizations: https://uossmtr.nationbuilder.com/help_gas_attack_victims_in_idlib, 4) Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders): http://www.msf.org/en/donate. More about the attack: More about the attack: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/world/middleeast/syria-gas-attack.html?_r=0
- Angie's List has come out against the boycott of ad buys on O'Reilly. Let's tell Angie's List that we do not support sexual predators. On Twitter: "Angie's List rejects O'Reilly #boycott. It's time to cancel your membership to Angie's List" http://wapo.st/2o5RAdX
- While it is wonderful to see companies separating themselves from O'Reilly, we also need to make sure that Fox is hearing from the rest of us. Let’s contact Fox News and ask them to take Bill O'Reilly off the air: 1 (888) 369-4762 or comment on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FoxNews or on Twitter: @FoxNews or via snail mail: 1211 Avenue of the Americas New York, NY 10036.
Petitions to Sign
- Join Free Speech For People's campaign to revoke the corporate charter of The Trump Organization, Inc., in New York State. http://org2.salsalabs.com/o/7003/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=24606&track=IDTNEmail
- Let’s join UltraViolet in demanding the firing of Bill O’Reilly and his boss, Bill Shine to start cleaning up the sexual harassment culture at Fox News: https://act.weareultraviolet.org/sign/fox-sexual-harassment/
1. Part four of the LA Times editorial series on Trump: http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-ed-trumps-war-on-journalism/
- How bots are being used influence elections: http://www.cio.com/article/3188011/election-hacking/how-to-make-fake-friends-and-influence-people-politically-with-botnets.html
- On Jan. 21, 2017, after the Women's March, people gathered in All Souls' sanctuary to sing Leonard Cohen's "Anthem." https://youtu.be/CyvHPuE0ZNQ