4/19/17 To-do List
Contact Government Officials
- From Postcards for America: HConRes15 calls for a thorough investigation into Russian interference including possible collusion with Trump campaign. Let’s send postcards to our own reps asking them to support this. Our country needs some answers. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cCQwKcP1Lp-V-bGg_qH3qX8Q7BHPqmmimOqW1M0vn8o/edit
- Alt-right and anti-fascists who collided in Berkeley last weekend are fringe elements from both sides of the political divide. Some traveled great distances for less than positive reasons. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-berkeley-alt-right-20170417-story.html These folks do not represent us. Let’s make sure the White House knows that. https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact
- Trump has announced that he will not be making the White House visitor logs public. This lack of transparency does not bode well for an administration that is already deemed untrustworthy by the majority of its citizens (according to the latest Gallup poll). However, both the Senate and House have introduced legislation, which would require the president to disclose visitor logs for anywhere the president does business. Here's what we can do: 1) Contact our Reps and ask that they cosponsor and support H.R. 1711 https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1711, 2) Contact members of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, and tell them we support H.R. 1711 and expect it to proceed to a House vote: https://oversight.house.gov/subcommittee/full-committee/, 3) Contact our Senators and ask that they cosponsor and support S.721 https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/721, 4) Contact the members of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs and tell them we support S.721 https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/about
- Wouldn't it be great if filing taxes was easier? Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders just re-introduced The Tax Filing Simplification Act. http://thehill.com/policy/finance/276109-warren-introduces-bill-to-make-filing-taxes-easier We can help make this a priority. Let's tell our MoC's that we support this bill.
- From CAP Action: Maribel Trujillo, mother of four, is scheduled to be deported today. http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/fairfield/maribel-trujillo-will-be-deported-federal-judge-rules CALL 866-835-0995 NOW to tell DHS Sec. John Kelly to stop the deportation of Maribel Trujillo!
- While the White House undermines climate-change efforts with the blessing of Congress, let’s put pressure on our state legislatures. Carbon taxes incentivize shifts from fossil fuels to clean energy and energy efficiency. https://www.carbontax.org/states/ If you live in WA, OR, NY, MA, RI, VT, or Boulder, CO, write to your state reps and tell them to pass the bills that have been introduced there. If you live elsewhere, write your state legislators and demand that they file carbon tax legislation.
- The first Dreamer has been deported despite Trumps promises to protect children. Juan Montes, now 23, has been in the US since he was nine. Rep. King (R-IA) (of “somebody else’s baby” fame) had the nerve to tweet a toast to the Border Patrol saying “First non-valedictorian DREAMer deported. Border Patrol, this one’s for you,” and includes a photograph of a mug full of beer. http://thehill.com/latino/329414-steve-king-toasts-dreamer-deportation Let’s let this guy knows that his days in the House are numbered and that where ever we live, we will work to make that true.
- Are you a Twitter newbie and trying to figure out who to follow? We can build our network, and the network of the #resistance, by searching for the "Indivisible" groups in our states and "following" them. For example, a search for "indivisible CO" will yield at least six Colorado twitter accounts that affiliate themselves with the Indivisible Guide folks (@indivisibleteam). The people who run these accounts are usually quite active and organize local events, so following them is a great way for us to get informed about what's going on in our areas!
- We all have reservations, don’t we? Let’s call the reservations department at the Trump Hotel properties (855-878-6700) and tell them our reservations about Trump and his administration. Start your phone conversation by saying, “Hello, I’m calling about my reservations……..” Be polite!
- There is no Planet B -- Bees and other pollinators are in trouble—and our lives depend on them. We can each make a difference, one garden, one window box, and one outdoor pot at a time. The Pollinator Partnership offers free pollinator-friendly planting guides so you can help sustain the pollinators that, in turn, sustain us. http://www.pollinator.org/guides.htm
- Many of us are members of the Facebook group Postcards for America (we all should be!). It coordinates many postcard calls-to-action. They are in the process of creating chapters for each state so that we can get involved in the same kind of postcard actions within our own state. We can become even more involved by offering to coordinate a chapter for our state if it is not listed here yet: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1irceHaMlxTeSBL-cJvu5GZaXOuW4bJyZmEAzvYUWaYQ/edit
- Let's join MomsRising for their next tele townhall, on paid family and medical leave. The phone call will be next Tuesday, April 25th. RSVP here: http://action.momsrising.org/survey/KeepMarchingTeleTownHall_PFL
- The Women's March has launched their seventh action item, “We Belong Together”, as part of their 10 Actions/100 Days campaign. “We Belong Together” focuses on how children can participate in the resistance and build community, and lists out multiple ways we can participate. Let's check out the website and see if we can choose at least one action item that speaks to us: https://www.womensmarch.com/webelongtogether/
- Instead of focusing on the wrong that was done, this judge thought it better to praise the perpetrator in this rape case. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-utah-judge-bishop-rape-20170414-story.html The attitude of this judge is repugnant and speaks to some larger issues in our society. Let’s send a postcard to Judge Low (Judge Thomas Low, Utah County, 125 North 100 West, Provo, UT. 84601) and then a postcard to Director Jennifer Yim of the Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission at Utah State Capitol Complex, Senate Building, E-330, P.O. Box 142330, Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-6800 to call for his removal from the bench.
- Let’s keep up the pressure on Fox as they are considering letting Bill O’Reilly go. https://www.wsj.com/articles/fox-is-preparing-to-cut-ties-with-bill-oreilly-1492566611 Let’s call Fox News and support this decision. Snail mail: 1211 Avenue of the Americas, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10036 or phone: 212-301-3000
- RISE Stronger is working to become the largest citizen watchdog organization in the United States with the mission of empowering Americans to monitor and take action in response to the Trump Administration, Congress, and state and local governments. It is group citizens who want to hold our government and public officials accountable. Let’s all join RISE so that we can be part of this national effort: https://www.risestronger.org/
Petitions to Sign
- Two members of Congress, Rep. Ted Lieu and Sen. Ed Markey, have proposed urgent legislation to prevent the U.S. president from starting a nuclear war without a declaration of war by Congress. Let’s show our agreement: https://petitions.signforgood.com/TrumpNukes
- Let’s sign MoveOn's petition, asking Congress to pass the MAR-A-LAGO Act that calls for transparency in White House visitor logs: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/demand-transparency-in
- “What Happens When Women Legislate”: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/18/opinion/what-happens-when-women-legislate.html
- “How Liberals Fell in Love with West Wing”: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/04/how-liberals-fell-in-love-with-the-west-wing
- Bill Moyers is highlighting this article by Steven Harper as a necessary read -- all the reasons why we must work hard to oust Trump before we lose our democracy and our planet. http://billmoyers.com/story/trump-100-days-of-deconstruction/