1/24/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
If you see Rogan’s List in a closed or secret FB group, remember that if you share it, it only goes to your FB friends who are already part of the group. So, if you want to share it on your FB page so all your friends can see it, you will need to copy/paste the link. Thanks for sharing! We are doing good work, everyone!
- "On Saturday, Sen. Ben Cardin (MD) joined Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey in reintroducing the amendment. Co-sponsoring were Sens. Cory Booker of New Jersey, Sherrod Brown of Ohio, Chris Coons of Delaware, Dianne Feinstein of California, Kirsten Gillibrand of New York and Ed Markey of Massachusetts in reintroducing the constitutional amendment first proposed in 1923." http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bal-cardin-equal-rights-amendment-20170121-story.html Voice support to your senator! Find them here:
- The MoveOn conference call on Sunday evening has called for an action called “Resist Trump Tuesdays”. For more information how you can participate, go here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16S9Ho0EEI9wgx6Si3X_Grb2TeTm_Jla5x5S6nTWJOG0/edit
- To let them know we are watching, please help call out Indiana state senator Jack Sandlin for his offensive statement about “fat women walking” referring to Saturday’s march. http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/01/23/indiana-state-senator-under-fire-fat-women-post/96939462/ His office number is 317-232-9414 or 317-232-9400. His twitter handle: @Sandlin4Senate
- To help understand what Trump is doing with the media, this short video by former Labor Secretary Robert Reich should help: https://www.facebook.com/RBReich/videos/1412811858731406/
- The Women’s March put all our legislators, local, state, and federal, on notice that WE are watching them. Feel free to send friendly postcards to your legislators and key other legislators letting them know this. Here is a suggestion for your message: “You can be assured that I and my friends are watching your votes closely and will, in turn, vote accordingly when you're up for re-election." Find your legislators here: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- Call the House
Judiciary Committee members to oppose H.R. 586: "To provide that life
shall deemed to begin with fertilization." This bill was sponsored by Rep. Hice (R-GA). If he's your rep, give him a call to
let him know what you think of his bill: (202) 225-4101 Otherwise, a list of Committee members can be found
- The vote on DeVos as Secretary of Education has been delayed until January 31st to allow more time for the HELP committee members to go through DeVos's financial holdings and ask her questions. There is still time to call on members of the HELP committee to oppose DeVos as Secretary of Education. You can find phone numbers and a sample script on the Network for Public Education Action website here: http://npeaction.org/2017/01/21/breaking-devos-vote-delayed-january-31/
- One of our own has assembled an amazing document with links to a ton of resources--everything from information on where your congressperson gets donations to information on contacting media outlets. There is SO MUCH in this Resources for Resistance: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XRumsBplhEcRg33UlCotrLeb21NCeyF5ft8fFyf2d0Y/edit
- Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) and Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.), in both chambers of Congress, introduced legislation to name the Muslim Brotherhood a “terrorist organization” and (the real point of the bill), shutter several American Muslim civic and civic rights organizations by supposed association. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/how-an-obscure-policy-effort-could-hurt-american-muslims/2017/01/11/8ce93184-d76e-11e6-b8b2-cb5164beba6b_story.html?utm_term=.956fe09fc79a Please contact your legislators to tell them not to strip American Muslims of their law-abiding civic and civil rights organizations. Find your legislators here: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- U.S. House Reps. Dave Trott (R-MI), and Debbie Dingell (D-MI), have introduced the "Preserve Our Lakes and Keep our Environment Safe (LAKES) Act", which would direct federal regulators to decommission the controversial Enbridge Line 5, that goes through the Great Lakes, if a 12-month study finds it poses a significant risk. : Let your Congressman & Senators know you support their actions at the federal level, and then take it to the states. We cannot let our Great Lakes become contaminated. http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/01/bipartisan_bill_in_congress_ta.html Find your legislators here: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- Gaslighting may be a term you have heard or will hear in discussions of Trump. It is a psychological term that refers to manipulating someone so that they question their own sanity. Here is a short helpful article to explain it: https://www.socialworkhelper.com/2016/01/25/the-social-poison-of-gaslighting-and-how-to-deal-with-it/ Here is how this tactic is being used by the new President: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/opinions/donald-trump-is-gaslighting-america-ghitis/ Once you are aware of this type of manipulation, you are better prepared to see it and deal with it.
- If you live in the states of Colorado, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Washington, Virginia, North Dakota, or Indiana, Republican lawmakers are moving to criminalize and increase penalties on peaceful protesting. Five states initiated this legislation prior to Saturday’s March, but more have done so since, with other states likely to follow. https://theintercept.com/2017/01/23/lawmakers-in-eight-states-have-proposed-laws-criminalizing-peaceful-protest/ While these may well be negated in court at some point, let’s help them not become law in the first place. Find your legislators here: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- In 1984, the Reagan Administration, announced a new policy, the Global Gag Rule, which forbids foreign NGOs from receiving US Family Planning funds if they perform, counsel or refer women for abortion services, or advocate for the liberalization of abortion laws where they work. Obama recinded this rule when he became President. Trump has signed an executive order reviving this rule. http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/abortion/315652-trump-signs-executive-order-reinstating-global-gag-rule-on
- Republican lawmakers are quietly laying the groundwork to get rid of federal land and national parks. “We didn’t see it coming. I think it was sneaky and underhanded. It exemplifies an effort to not play by the rules,” said Alan Rowsome, senior director of government relations at The Wilderness Society. “This is the worst Congress for public lands ever.” For more information read this: http://www.businessinsider.com/congress-lays-groundwork-to-get-rid-of-federal-land-and-national-parks-2017-1 Find your legislators here: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- While the White House comment line (202-456-1111) appears to be no longer functioning, the White House switchboard line (202-456-1414) is. https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/write-or-call
- Cuts for the arts are forthcoming. Trump reportedly will eliminate both the National Endowment For The Arts and the National Endowment For The Humanities, and privatize the Corporation For Broadcasting .
- http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/donald-trump-budget-cuts-arts-humanities-nea-neh-npr-cbs-president-a7536741.html These are all so very important to the quality of our lives as citizens. Please let your legislators know how you feel: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- You know who doesn't care what your zip code is? The media. We are all their consumers; we fund their organizations, either directly via subscriptions or indirectly via ad revenue. Here are two ways to interact with the media:
a) Contact them when you feel they do quality work or make responsible choices. For example, CNN did an excellent job of refusing to blindly air the White House Press Conference live. Instead they listened to the content, and reported on what was newsworthy, rather than being a mouthpiece for the Administration. http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/21/media/sean-spicer-press-secretary-statement/
b) Call out news orgs when they normalize misinformation, as when The Wall Street Journal tweeted that the White House "disputes inauguration attendance estimates", as opposed to reporting that Press Secretary Spicer flat out lied about attendance estimates. http://www.wsj.com/articles/white-house-disputes-inauguration-attendance-estimates-1485057689?mod=e2
Use this link to locate contact information for the media: http://fair.org/take…/media-activism-kit/media-contact-list/