1/4/17 To-do List
There is no special way to attack this action list. If it seems overwhelming, just do the first two items to make it easier. If you have a little more time, do the third….and the fourth…. Or, choose items that speak to your heart. Some people cut and paste the list, print it off and take it with them so they can check items off while they are out and about during the day and just waiting or driving. Others click and do items as they work on their computer or phone. There is no right way to do this. Just do something! Remember, too, that many of the suggestions made on earlier days are still doable.
- If you are going to march in Washington, make sure to register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/womens-march-on-washington-official-tickets-29428287801?aff=es2
- Here is a questionnaire to fill out if you are going to the Women’s March: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdzAOhSz5i7Vw88k9z7s5crNKsjmtoFigkb1jSuAQJ3-57uKg/viewform?c=0&w=1
- Let’s add a few other news sources to the media outlets that reported that the GOP changed its mind based on a Trump tweet rather than constituents’ calls. Voice your truth here and let them know there will be more of this to come. They will be hearing about us often in the years to come! CNN: http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form2a.html?1 NPR: http://help.npr.org/customer/portal/emails/new NBC: http://www.nbcnews.com/contact
- Initially started in 2010 as a progressive response to the Tea Party, the Coffee Party Movement is something to check out. We could all infuse this group with our fervor! https://www.facebook.com/coffeeparty/
- Here is a MoveOn petition telling Congress that we need and expect its members to protect our civil liberties, and to use your congressional powers to obstruct anything that violates our core values as diverse Americans. http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/dear-members-of-congress.fb48
- Call your representative and your Senators to decry any plan to repeal the ACA with no replacement plan. Find your legislators here:
- Call your senators and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (who is reported to not support McCain's effort) to express your expectation that the Senate would want a full investigation of the allegations of a foreign power interfering with our election. Perhaps add that the fact that some members of the incoming administration are saying there is no evidence of hacking, the director of the CIA is saying wait for the report (because there is) -- shouldn't that be reason enough to demand an inquiry? http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/russian-meddling-doubters-wait-see-report-says-brennan/ Find your legislators here:
- Join with the League of Women Voters and allied organizations calling for a Hill Call-in-Day. Call your senators and your representative to say you understand Elizabeth Warren will be introducing a measure to specifically require the PEOTUS not have any conflicts of interest, and that you support that expectation -- and expect that your senator does as well. Perhaps add if Warren doesn't do it, you would love it if they did. Find your legislators here:
- Call your senators and representatives that we already have an effective method of terms limits. There are many multi-term legislators who are very responsive. It is called voting. U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and U.S. Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.) today proposed an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to impose term limits on members of Congress. The amendment would limit U.S. senators to two six-year terms and members of the U.S. House of Representatives to three two-year terms. Find your legislators here: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- Help us extend civil rights protections to all LGBT Americans. The Equality Act would address the massive loopholes in our legal system that protects bigots and homophobes who discriminate under the guise of religious freedom. But with extremist right-wing conservatives controlling Congress, we have no chance of passing it without unprecedented grassroots support. Please sign here showing your support for the Equality Act: http://go.fightforequality.org/page/s/co-sponsor?
- Please sign the Organize for Action petition regarding the ACA: https://www.barackobama.com/protect-obamacare/?
- The House wants to pass a bill that would make it easier to negate regulations proposed by Obama during his last years. https://www.countable.us/bills/hr21-115 Contact your representative to let him know how you feel about this Midnight Rules Relief Act of 2017: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- The REINS (Regulations from the Executive in Need of Scrutiny) Act of 2017 is to be voted on by the House soon. The tea-partiers have tried to get this passed since 2017. https://www.countable.us/bills/hr26-115 Contact your representative to let him know how you feel about this: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- Here is a handy list to see our senators ranked from most conservative to least conservative. We need to start working on Republican senators who are the least conservative and see what we can do. If these senators are from your state, please start engaging them! https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/report-cards/2015/senate/ideology
- A Facebook bot is being worked on as a way to contact Congress. Take a look and sign up to be kept up-to-date: http://callparty.org/
- Here is a link to the senators on the education committee who will be evaluating DeVos on January 11 for the position of Secretary of Education. Please use the links provided here to let them know how you feel about her nomination. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WiCFrDF19x3kd8Seh1yrCfhKOUc7WddFUVO2F5HPFqw/mobilebasic
- Here is an easy way to get your representatives' numbers in your phone. Text 520.200.2223 and in the message line put your zip code. The return message is the contact info for your reps!
- The Senate Judiciary Committee will be vetting Sessions for Attorney General on January 10. Here are the members of that committee so you can contact them: https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/about/members
your Senator to publicly support Sen.
Ben Cardin’s resolution for Trump to
“Comply with Constitution by Truly Severing Relationship with Private Business.”
Joining Senator Cardin in introducing his resolution as original co-sponsors are Senators: Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.); Harry Reid (D-Nev.); Dick Durbin (D-Ill.); Barbara A. Mikulski (D-Md.); Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.); Ron Wyden (D-Ore.); Jack Reed (D-R.I.); Tom Carper (D-Del.); Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.); Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.); Tom Udall (D-N.M.); Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.); Michael Bennet (D-Colo.); Al Franken (D-Minn.); Chris Coons (D-Del.); Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.); Chris Murphy (D-Conn.); Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii); Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.); Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.); Ed Markey (D-Mass.); and Cory Booker (D-N.J.). Find your senator here: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- Today, Sen. Bernie Sanders reminded his fellow senators today, with displays and quotes during floor speech on repealing the ACA, that in May 2015 that Trump said he was the only GOP candidate who wanted to keep Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security. Just in case our senators did not hear him, let’s tell them again by signing this: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/tell-congress-hands-off-medicare-social-security and calling them: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page