1/26/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
- Political activism advice from Michael Moore, “Every day, you have to contact your member of Congress or your—one of your two senators. Every day. It takes three minutes. Wake up, brush teeth, make coffee, contact Congress. That’s the new morning routine. The phone number is (202) 225-3121. You call that number any time of the day or night, a human being answers it. There’s an actual 24/7 switchboard. Call that number.” (at an anti-Trump rally in New York, January 19, 2017)
- Trump has signed executive orders to 1) build a wall on the Mexican border, 2) cutoff federal funding for "sanctuary cities" that shield migrants in the country illegally, and 3) expand detention space for migrants who have been caught and being shipped back to their home countries. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/25/trump-take-executive-action-border-sanctuary-cities/97035086/
- Since Kellyanne Conway called the marches on Saturday "pointless, it might be helpful to send Kellyanne a note or postcard of "I marched because..." Don't think it will change her mind but she needs exposure to a broader perspective. Attn: Kellyanne Conway, C/O The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington D.C. 20500
- Trump needs to get the message from the majority of Americans that we value and need the benefits of the ACA. Let’s show him how many of us feel that way. Send a postcard or letter to Donald Trump with the simple message: “Don’t make America sick again. Improve the ACA. Don’t repeal it.” Send to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20500.
- The mobilization of millions of women all across the globe on Saturday was a stunning accomplishment. Over 500,000 marched in DC in solidarity with women from every background. From toddlers to octogenarians, surrounded by partners and spouses and friends, the areas surrounding the National Mall were filled with messages of hope and resilience. As we marched, we were surrounded by the landmark Smithsonian museums, but one was missing -- the one dedicated to women's history. Consider committing $5 or more to help build the National Women's History Museum on the National Mall in Washington, DC. We made history on Saturday, now let's help build our history museum. https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/nwhm_jan2017-email?refcode=em20170124-wmw-gb
- Some people are having their own postcards made reflecting issues that are important to them. If you’d like to do that, Visaprint is having a 50% off sale right now through the end of the month. http://www.vistaprint.com/
- Here is a piece by strong woman from the right who understands why it was important to march and wrote to help others understand. http://www.womenyoushouldknow.net/why-i-marched-a-letter-from-a-pro-life-republican-anti-government-making-womens-decisions-stay-at-home-mom/ Such thoughts are so assuring to us that we can find common ground.
- From MomsRising: The U.S. Senate has started voting on Trump’s cabinet nominees. It’s an understatement to say that this isn’t a normal cabinet, nomination process, or election. These nominees represent and promote hateful ideals and policies that are harmful for our children and our economy. We cannot stay silent because these dangerous cabinet nominations hurt our children and families, threaten our economy, and tear at the fabric or our democracy. Join us in telling the U.S. Senate not to confirm a Cabinet of Bigotry. Click to sign onto a letter to your U.S. Senator about the cabinet nominees: http://action.momsrising.org/sign/put-stop-cabinet-of-bigotry/?t=4&akid=8675.2464717.UOMRie
- From MomsRising: Childcare now costs more than college. This is a national emergency. Parents need safe, enriching places for their children to be so they can go to work, kids need high-quality childcare so they can thrive, and childcare workers need fair pay. We need solutions at every level! Sign up now to urge your city leaders to make early education and childcare a priority by delivering the Strong Start for Strong Cities city resource guide to your local leadership. Click to help urge your city leaders to get moving on childcare: http://action.momsrising.org/signup/StrongStart_2016/?t=6&akid=8675.2464717.UOMRie
- President Trump just instituted a gag order to all employees in the Environmental Protection Agency and the USDA, however public outcry reversed that decision for the USDA. That means scientists are barred from communicating with the public about taxpayer-funded work. It’s ridiculous, and we must stand against this. Let’s join with the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee to demand that the gag rule be revoked: http://action.dccc.org/petition/trump-epa Furthermore, Trump is now mandating that political staff review EPA scientific studies before being released. This is highly unusual. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-epa-studies-20170125-story.html
- Join in Bernie Sanders organization, Our Revolution, to oppose the Dakota Access and Keystone pipelines: https://go.ourrevolution.com/page/s/DAPL-keystone-XL
- Marchers: Consider sending a note to mayors who allowed marches to be hosted, to police departments who keep our marchers safe, and to transit authority who adapted schedules to support our large gatherings. Thank them for being true patriots by upholding freedom of speech and the right to peaceably assemble.
- From Sierra Club: The Keystone XL pipeline was rejected because it was determined not to be in the country's best interest, and the environmental review of the Dakota Access Pipeline was ordered because of the threats it poses to the Standing Rock Sioux's water supply. Show President Trump that we will continue to fight these pipelines every step of the way. https://www.addup.org/campaigns/fight-back-trump-approved-keystone-xl-and-the-dakota-access-pipeline/petition/fight-back-trump-approved-keystone-xl-and-the-dakota-access-pipeline If you are on Twitter, also send him this tweet: .@realDonaldTrump isn't standing w/the people -- these pipelines aren't in our national interest & we will #resist! #NoKXL #NoDAPL
- The National Park Service (NPS) is coming in for some hard times with this administration. NPS is an agency of the United States federal government that manages all U.S. national parks, many American national monuments, and other conservation and historical properties with various title designations. Take a look at this encouraging video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ykvO8UN3g0&feature=youtu.be Weekend Protest Opportunity: Visit a National Park close to you. Buy something in the gift shop, and tell a park ranger thank you. Find your Park here: http://findyourpark.com/
- Trump’s gag rule on many government agencies has cause them to create unofficial Twitter accounts so that they can still fulfill their responsibility of getting information to us taxpayers. Please consider following them to support them and to keep informed: @AltForestServ @AltNatParkSer @Alt_NASA @RogueNASA @altUSEPA @Alt_CDC @AltHHS @alt_fda @Alt_NIH @altusda
- If you are not already on Twitter, this would be a good day to sign up. So much will be happening there that you won’t want to miss. This will help you get started in just a short time: https://www.lifewire.com/tutorial-intro-to-using-twitter-2654622
what the United State of Women is all about by watching this
Consider joining them to find
action items for the issues you care about: http://www.theunitedstateofwomen.org/ Check out a week of action planned for February 18th-25th, coinciding with the
first Congressional recess: http://www.theunitedstateofwomen.org/weekofaction/
- Due to the real threat that this administration is anti-science, there is a Scientists’ March on Washington being planned. “Although this will start with a march, we hope to use this as a starting point to take a stand for science in politics. Slashing funding and restricting scientists from communicating their findings (from tax-funded research!) with the public is absurd and cannot be allowed to stand as policy. This is a non-partisan issue that reaches far beyond people in the STEM fields and should concern anyone who values empirical research and science.” Here’s their March for Science FB page: https://www.facebook.com/marchforscience/ and their closed FB group page if you feel you fit: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1862739727343189/ For more info and to sign up for updates: http://www.scientistsmarchonwashington.com/
- Please consider signing the MoveOn.org petition to Trump to not stop refugee settlement in the United States. We have a safe, proven system that works as outlined here: https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2015/11/20/infographic-screening-process-refugee-entry-united-states. Sign here: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/do-not-stop-refugee-resettle
- In addition, there is a White House petition asking Trump to not base refugee status on religion or country of origin: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/do-not-halt-refugee-resettlement-lower-number-we-resettle-or-stop-resettlement-based-religioncountry-origin
- Let’s join the League of Conservation Voters in thanking Sen. Peters for his opposition to Pruitt and for calling him out for attacking the EPA's lifesaving public health standards. https://secure3.convio.net/lcv/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=3707&s_src=FBAds&s_subsrc=champs
- Tell your mayor to stand
up to Trump and expand sanctuary cities. Mijente, a Latinx and Chicanx
organization focused on social progress, shows us how: https://action.mijente.net/efforts/tell-your-mayor-to-defy-trump-expand-sanctuary/near/new
- Data shows that the kind of voter fraud that Trump want to target in his investigation, is very small and rare. We all know that voter suppression is a much more substantial issue and affects large numbers. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/25/trump-seeks-major-investigation-into-unsupported-claims-of-voter-fraud/?utm_term=.4d26f8900e6b Please join People For the American Way, an organization that affirms and works to preserve the fundamental values that define the American Way, in seeking to have a real investigation of this kind of voter fraud. https://secure.pfaw.org/site/SPageNavigator/action.html?survey_id=11743
- While you are at it, the DNC wants to know who will stand with them to protect voter rights: http://my.democrats.org/page/s/protect-our-voting-rights
- And lastly, please take care of yourself. We all need each other. This is going to be a long and drawn out process. Take some hints here on self-care lessons for the resistance: https://medium.com/the-coffeelicious/how-to-stayoutraged-without-losing-your-mind-fc0c41aa68f3#.jpoi1qs4n