James Comey will testify in a public session of the Senate Intelligence Committee today, Thursday, June 8, at 10 am Eastern time. The testimony will be followed by a private closed-door committee session with Comey the same day. Here’s info on how/where to watch: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/7/15757530/james-comey-testimony-time-live-stream-congress-watch-online-former-fbi-director-trump
Contact Government Officials
- "President Trump may be the face of America’s withdrawal from the Paris climate accord, but, as deeper reporting is making clear, it’s the Kochs and their fellow fossil-fuel industry donors who really own the policy." http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/in-the-withdrawal-from-the-paris-climate-agreement-the-koch-brothers-campaign-becomes-overt Let’s let our legislators know that we, the people want them to act in the best interest of the planet and not corporate greed.
- Once again, defying science, Trump said the United States "will continue to be the cleanest and most environmentally friendly country on Earth,” We are well behind other countries in that respect and in, fact, we produce more carbon dioxide, which is the primary cause of global warming, than any other country except China. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/disregarding-science-trump-says-u-s-is-cleanest-country-on-earth/ Let’s use this information to help convince our governors and mayors join the newly-formed United States Climate Alliance.
- Former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper has said that Watergate “pales” in comparison to the Russian situation: http://time.com/4808685/trump-russia-watergate-james-clapper/ Please keep up the pressure on our a about this and the need for an independent investigation while also keeping our eyes on the health care ball.
- Representative Ted Lieu has introduced the "Supporting efforts to enact a bold jobs and infrastructure package that benefits all Americans, not just billionaires" (H.Con.Res. 63) concurrent resolution in the House http://bit.ly/2rLISl5 This resolution outlines progressive principles which should be taken into consideration and be evident in any infrastructure plan that is introduced to the House. Let's take a look at the plan http://bit.ly/2rLwAt4 and let our Representatives know that we want them to cosponsor and support this resolution.
- The latest reports are that Mitch McConnell is rushing the Senate to vote for Trump's plan to take health insurance away from 23 million Americans before the end of the month. (http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/05/obamacare-repeal-june-vote-239154)) They know the more people learn about #Trumpcare, the more they're going to turn against it, and they're hoping to ram it through before we can make our voices heard. We're not going to let them get away with it. Let's join the ACA Defenders team in calling folks in swing states to make sure they're letting their senators know they want them to say no: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfMiCjyVEprsCak0eifPbNorKx-C86ygqSasdbbLaA4gX874g/viewform.
- June 8th marks the 111th anniversary of the Antiquities Act, which allows the president to designate national monuments. It comes amidst Trump's unprecedented attack on America’s national parks, public lands, and oceans putting these places at risk of losing their protections from drilling, mining, and fracking.. The U.S. Department of the Interior is considering eliminating or shrinking at least 27 national monuments established by presidents from both parties since 1996. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/climate/antiquities-act-federal-lands-donald-trump.html Groups across the country are observing this anniversary by pushing to pass the one-million-public-comments-submitted mark for folks opposing the elimination/shrinking of public lands. Let's stand up and be counted among them here: https://engage.us.greenpeace.org/onlineactions/2xqjgJdawUCMWqDdKGzA-w2
- The endangered greater sage grouse, a western bird, is at risk again. Environmentalists were able to reach a bipartisan agreement in western states that have helped protect the greater sage grouse. This agreement is now threatened by Ryan Zinke's Interior department. http://www.journal-advocate.com/sterling-local_news/ci_31037496/battle-royale-looms-over-sage-grouse-habitat The greater sage-grouse is found in 11 of the 19 Western Governors' Association member states -- California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. Three (3) governors have already written a letter of support for the current sage grouse protections. We can thank them: 1) CO: Gov. John Hickenlooper (D) https://www.colorado.gov/governor/share-your-comments 2) NV: Gov. Brian Sandoval (R) http://gov.nv.gov/Contact/Email-the-Governor/ 3) WY: Gov. Matt Mead (R) https://sites.google.com/a/wyo.gov/governor/contact-us We can contact the other impacted eight (8) western state governors, especially if any of them our own governors, to ask them to commit to protecting the greater sage grouse. 1) CA: Gov. Jerry Brown (D) https://govnews.gov.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php 2) ID: Gov. Butch Otter (R) https://gov.idaho.gov/ourgov/contact.html 3) MT: Gov. Steve Bullock (D) https://governor.mt.gov/Home/Contact 4) ND: Gov. Doug Burgum (R) https://www.governor.nd.gov/contact-us 5) OR: Gov. Kate Brown (D) http://www.oregon.gov/gov/Pages/share-your-opinion.aspx 6) SD: Gov. Dennis Daugaard (R) http://sd.gov/governor/contact/contact.aspx 7) UT: Gov. Gary Herbert (R) https://gocentral.utah.gov/Request/Contact 8) WA: Gov. Jay Inslee (D) http://www.governor.wa.gov/contact/contact/send-gov-inslee-e-message
- NOAA is taking public comments through July 6 regarding the proposed seismic oil and gas surveys in the Atlantic Ocean (aka "Atlantic blasting"). http://www.noaa.gov/media-release/comments-sought-on-proposals-for-atlantic-geophysical-survey-interaction-with-marine We can submit our comments here: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/06/06/2017-11542/takes-of-marine-mammals-incidental-to-specified-activities-taking-marine-mammals-incidental-to and we can write to: Jolie Harrison, Chief, Office of Protected Resources, Permits and Conservation Division, 1315 East-West Hwy, Silver Springs MD 20910.
- United for Peace and Justice and Win Without War both urgently ask us to write and call our representatives to ask for their co-sponsorship of S.J. Res. 42, the Murphy-Paul-Franken legislation to block the sale of bombs to Saudi Arabia, or H.J. Res. 102, the Amash-Pocan equivalent in the House. This legislation may come up for a vote as early as Thursday, today. Let’s call 1-855-68-NO-WAR (1-855-686-6927) to reach the Capital switchboard which will automatically connect us to our legislators.
- Fox News host Neil Cavuto said to Trump that he is the problem rather than the ‘fake news media’: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/336679-fox-host-to-trump-fake-news-media-isnt-the-issue-its-you Let’s thank Mr. Cavuto for making this statement because it is going to take a lot more actions like this to turn the tide: Fox News, 1211 Avenue of the Americas NY, NY 10036
- Today, June 8 at 1pm our local time Pope Francis is asking every person on earth to take 1 minute and pray for peace, everyone according to his or her own tradition. http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2017/06/07/pope_francis_appeals_for_%E2%80%98one_minute_for_peace%E2%80%99_initiative/1317386 Let’s take one minute for peace.
- “I do not support a livable wage.” Those were the words that Georgia 6th Congressional candidate Karen Handel said on purpose during a televised debate this week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPkY-dhuI7w&app=desktop This special election is June 20th and there is still time to help Democratic candidate Jon Ossoff: https://electjon.com
- Have your kids experienced/witnessed bullying in school that is based on things Trump has said? Sadly, ours have, and it seems to be a growing phenomenon. https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertsamaha/kids-are-quoting-trump-to-bully-their-classmates?bftw&utm_term=.byBQV3LoO2#.fkkOJpl2q5 Let's talk to our children about what's happening and why it is never OK to make someone else feel scared. Even if it's something the President does. We are better than that.
- Donald Trump keeps Tweeting away, and while his staff insists it shouldn't be taken seriously the reality is that poorly spelled, poorly thought out statements by the President are still presidential statements. The designer behind the St. Louis manifest account has created a Twitter account that recreates all his Tweets in proper presidential statement format: https://www.vox.com/2017/6/6/15745954/trump-twitter-bot. This makes them seem as serious as they are, and solves the problem of how to keep up with Trump's tweets without giving him the satisfaction of following him. Let's follow this account at twitter.com/RealPressSecBot.
- Some of us might feel shy, or even afraid, at the idea of getting on the phone to our MoCs, whether at the state or federal level. Or, we prefer to collect our thoughts in writing. Well, Resistbot is a great answer for us. Just text RESIST to 50409 on your mobile and this clever little bot will help us contact Congress, and a lot more besides. No downloads or apps required. Resistbot is now available on Facebook as well: https://www.facebook.com/resistbot/ We can find out more on the various functions and features here: https://resistbot.news.
- Let’s join Postcards for America in sending our apologies for Trump to allied world leaders. Addresses can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16rts-4OuEi5uE8C2mj8zXzkNxn3z-6LQB6Y9u91cnEA/edit
- Breitbart ads continue to fall. https://digiday.com/media/breitbart-ads-plummet-nearly-90-percent-three-months-trumps-troubles-mount/ We can still help Sleeping Giants get rid of the rest of the ads by following these instructions: 1) go to Breitbart and take a screenshot of an ad next to some of their content, 2) tweet the screenshot to the company with a polite, non-offensive note to notify them of the placement, and 3) tag @slpng_giants so they can keep track of the progress. That’s it! We can also follow them on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/slpnggiants/
- Incisive editorial in Rolling Stone about need to call for Trump’s resignation: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/its-time-to-demand-donald-trumps-resignation-w486080
- One of the things that Americans Resisting Overseas does is share art from resisters around the world. The overseas group, JustFolk, submitted this moving song, which they describe as "an anthem of the resistance". If you are looking for something positive to share this week this could be a good option. https://americansresistingoverseas.com/2017/06/07/art-resist-coma-tonight-todd-kolod-sings-the-resistance-from-spain/
- One of the pussyhat co-founders has a new project for the knitters among us! “The goal is to knit blankets from 2,000 miles of yarn — the projected length of the border wall — over the next three months. “ http://mashable.com/2017/06/05/welcome-blanket-refugees-pussyhat-project/ For more info on how we can participate: https://www.welcomeblanket.org/