Contact Government Officials
- Speaker of the House Paul Ryan released a statement saying that the Paris climate agreement is a “raw deal” for America: http://www.speaker.gov/press-release/speaker-ryan-paris-climate-agreement-0 Let’s write to let him know what we think the raw deals are at this time: Speaker Ryan, H-232 The Capitol, Washington, DC, 20515
- While abroad in Singapore, Secretary of Defense James Mattis asked our allies to “bear with us” due to our new administration: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/03/james-mattis-donald-trump-paris-climate-accord-isolationism Once you let that sink in, please write to Mattis to ask what he thinks will change to improve this administration and why he stands by Trump: Secretary of Defense James Mattis, 1400 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-1400
- Rep. Glenn Grothman (R-WI) thinks that Planned Parenthood is not necessary because women can get their birth control at grocery stores: https://www.yahoo.com/style/congressman-thinks-buy-birth-control-003000684.html We can write to Rep. Grothman to let him know that our health care cannot be provided this way: 1217 Longworth HOB, Washington, DC 20515
- Denver has found a creative way to offset the deportation of legal immigrants (who can be deported for criminal activity): http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/22/denver-approves-sentencing-changes-immigration/ Let’s contact our own local governments to show them this example.
- Two important pieces of legislation are stuck in House committees, with motions to discharge having been filed. The first, the Presidential Tax Transparency Act (H.R. 305), would require the president to disclose the three most recent federal tax returns. The second, the Protecting Our Democracy Now Act (H.R. 356), would establish an independent commission to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 election and any ties to the Trump campaign. Once the discharge petitions reach the required 218 signatures, each bill will move on to the House floor for a full vote, where our Representatives will be held accountable for their position. Let's check each petition to see if our Reps have signed, and if they haven't, give them a call urging them to do so. Presidential Tax Transparency Act discharge petition: http://clerk.house.gov/115/lrc/pd/petitions/DisPet0001.xml Protecting Our Democracy Now Act discharge petition: http://clerk.house.gov/115/lrc/pd/petitions/DisPet0002.xml
- It is past time for Jared Kushner's security clearance to be suspended. Let's thank those House Representatives who have signed the letter to White House Counsel McGahn, requesting that Kushner's clearance be immediately revoked: http://bit.ly/2qNy0Sh http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/31/kushner-security-clearance-democrats-239001 If our Rep did not sign the letter, let's give them a call and share our thoughts on the matter.
- From Colorado Foothills Action Alliance: Please call/email our congressional representative to oppose the Financial CHOICE Act of 2017 (H.R. 10), scheduled for full House vote on Wednesday, June 7. This legislation would undermine the consumer protections provided by the Dodd-Frank Act, a financial reform law that was passed in 2010, which included the Volcker rule (prohibiting banks from making certain speculative investments and limiting banks in their relationships with hedge funds and private equity funds) and created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. H.R. 10 would repeal the Volcker rule, strip the CFPB of key enforcement powers by replacing its strong director and limiting its funding, and allow banks to bypass financial regulations that go back a half-century, putting the public at risk of another recession caused by irresponsible banking practices.
- The Governors of nine (9) states have now joined the United States Climate Alliance and declared their states' commitment to the Paris agreement. https://www.themarysue.com/us-climate-alliance/ Let's send an out-pouring of thanks their way via their websites. 1) CA: Jerry Brown (D) https://govnews.gov.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php 2) NY: Andrew Cuomo (D) https://www.governor.ny.gov/content/governor-contact-form 3) WA: Jay Inslee (D) http://www.governor.wa.gov/contact/contact/send-gov-inslee-e-message 4:) MA: Charlie Baker (R) (Please scroll down for contact form) http://www.mass.gov/governor/constituent-services/contact-governor-office/ 5) VT: Phil Scott (R) http://governor.vermont.gov/contact-us/message 6) OR: Kate Brown http://www.oregon.gov/gov/Pages/share-your-opinion.aspx 7) RI: Gina Raimondo http://www.governor.ri.gov/contact/ 8) HI: David Ige https://governor.hawaii.gov/contact-us/contact-the-governor/ 9) CT: Dannel Malloy http://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Governor/Contact-Governor-Malloy/Share-your-Opinion-with-the-Governor Let's also contact our own Governors if they are not among these and ask them to join the US Climate Alliance too.
- The GOP is pessimistic about an ACA repeal before the August recess. https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/gop-running-time-options-repeal-222719910.html Let's keep the pressure on our Senators, reminding them that we want them to oppose the AHCA. The 65 has a great call script we can use, with talking points tailored to our Senators stance on the bill: http://thesixtyfive.org/home
- Do we want a private corporation to run air traffic control? New fees on the use of inland waterways? New roads with new tolls? These are aspects of Trump’s “public-private infrastructure plan,” to be unveiled this week, for which not $1 billion, as promised, but a paltry $200 million in federal funds is dedicated in the Trump budget proposal, most of it meant to enable states and localities to entice private “partners” to foot the bill for upgrades: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/06/03/Trump-to-unveil-plan-to-privatize-air-traffic-control/8661496515968/ We need to make our opposition to the privatizing of public goods and services known to the White House and to our MoCs before Congress votes on any of these plans.
- Six years after getting a Twitter account, Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein sent his very first tweet to decry Trump’s Paris accord decision: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/goldman-sachs-lloyd-blankfein-donald-trump-paris-agreement-withdraw-twitter-first-ever-tweet-a7768436.html Let’s thank him for speaking up: Mr. Lloyd Blankfein, CEO, Goldman Sachs, 200 West St, 29th Fl, NY, NY 10282
- Did we attend any emergency climate rallies and/or the March for Truth over the weekend? Let’s take the time to thank the mayors and police chiefs in the cities where we rallied to show gratitude to their teams for supporting our rights to peaceful assembly.
- The ACLU released a statement about Trump’s decision to appeal the block of his Muslim ban:https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-freely/government-just-asked-supreme-court-revisit-muslim-ban-heres-what-comes-next and then as the London terror attacks were unfolding over the weekend, Trump used the opportunity to reassert the need for the ban: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/336246-trump-tweets-renewed-push-for-travel-ban-after-london-bridge-incident If you are not already financially supporting the ACLU, please consider doing so to whatever extent you can: https://action.aclu.org/node/58243
- On June 6, Jewish communities across the country will hold candlelight vigils to commemorate the anniversary of the day that the MS St. Louis began its fateful return journey to Europe. In 1939, the U.S. government denied safety to the hundreds of Jewish refugees on board. In 2017, our community will stand together to call on our elected officials not to make the same mistake again by denying safe haven to today’s victims of violence and persecution.” Let’s find a gathering near us or start one ourselves: https://www.hias.org/st-louis-vigils
- A noose was found at the Smithsonian new African-American history museum this week (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-nooses-hate-incidents-blacks-20170601-story.html), part of a sharp rise in hate crimes fueled by Trump's rhetoric. The independent journalists at ProPublica are trying to make sure good data exists on these crimes with their DocumentHate project. Let's follow them on Twitter (twitter.com/documenthate) and spread the word so that victims and witnesses know they can tell their stories there.
- UPDATE: One of the reasons Jon Ossoff is in strong position to #FlipTheSixth on June 20th is that the district is increasingly diverse - and his campaign is recognizing that by reaching out to Latino, Asian-American and Pacific Islander voters in their respective languages, to ensure that no language barriers prevent anyone from exercising their fundamental right to vote and that all communities in the district have their voices heard. (http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/04/georgia-special-election-ossoff-congress-sixth-district-demographics-215031) They're recruiting multilingual supporters for phone banking from now until Election Day. Let's check out this link for the Latino outreach team and this link for the Asian-American and Pacific Islander outreach team, see what language skills are needed, and sign up or share with folks we know who might be able to help. (Languages on the list INCLUDE: Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Hindi, Gujarati, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Tamil)
Petitions to Sign
- “Tell Sen. Cory Booker and other elected Democrats: Give up tainted campaign contributions from Jared Kushner or anyone associated with Donald Trump and his racist administration. Donate it to a cause in line with the core values of the progressive movement." Let’s sign here: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/Kushner_Booker_Dems_Money
- Bill Maher, who has a long history of bigoted comments, added to it on Friday by using the n-word on live television. (http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/03/531365550/bill-maher-apologizes-after-using-n-word-on-his-show) HBO has called his actions inexcusable. That's not enough. Let's join Color of Change and sign their petition asking for Maher to be taken off the air: https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/bill-maher/?sp_ref=308861053.176.181271.t.0.2&source=tw_sp. And then let's follow #GrabYourWallet co-founder Shannon Coulter's tips on how to apply pressure to HBO's PR department as well: https://twitter.com/shannoncoulter/status/871061799096926208
- “The Demographics of the Resistance” http://theconversation.com/the-demographics-of-the-resistance-77292
- Journalist and writer Sarah Kendzior gave a great speech at the St. Louis March for Truth that is worth the read: https://sarahkendzior.com/2017/06/03/my-speech-at-the-march-for-truth-in-st-louis/amp/
Is About How You Recharge, Not How You Endure”: