To broaden the exposure of Rogan’s List and to encourage more people to work with the #resistance, please share this link for Rogan’s List widely on social media and with your friends: http://roganslist.blogspot.com/
Contact Government Officials
- Prior to Trump’s decision to withdraw the US from the Paris climate agreement, 22 Republican Senators wrote him a letter urging him to do so. These 22 Senators have strong financial ties to oil and gas (which is strange in this situation because many prominent oil company CEO’s urged Trump to stay in the agreement): https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/01/republican-senators-paris-climate-deal-energy-donations Seventy percent (70%) of Americans favor staying in the Paris agreement. https://www.geospatialworld.net/maps-show-70-of-americans-support-us-as-part-of-paris-climate-deal/ Are our Senator(s) on this list (within the article)? If so, let’s get in touch with them to express our sentiments.
- We need to keep up a steady drumbeat and make sure our elected officials know we're not going to forget how disastrous Trump turning his back on climate science is. (http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/01/politics/trump-paris-climate-decision/index.html) Act on Climate is organizing calls to the Senate where we can punch in our phone numbers, get talking points and be connected to the right people - let's join them in making these calls: http://www.actonclimate.com/article/trump-withdraws-from-paris/.
- From one of our own: The Trump administration made secret efforts to remove the sanctions against Russia, and is now moving to restore the two Russian compounds shut down in December as a result of Russian meddling in our election. What more has to happen before Congress becomes alarmed by this pro-Russia bias? http://www.newsweek.com/trump-white-house-secret-efforts-lift-russia-sanctions-putin-619508 America needs answers. Let’s ask our MoCs to work with fellow members of Congress to establish an independent, transparent, non-partisan commission to investigate Trump-Russia.
- From one of our own: DAPL still trying to cover up its finding of burial sites along the pipeline route. Why? Because it would give validity to the Tribe's claims regarding their historical easement to that area. And still no reason for why they were running all over recent grave sites on Turtle Island. Greed overriding their humanity. http://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/PSC-issues-Dakota-Access-hearing-notices-425552564.html Let’s contact our legislators and remind them that they would not allow this to happen through Arlington Cemetery. This land is just as sacred. Let’s also contact the North Dakota Public Service Commission: 600 E. Boulevard, Dept. 408, Bismarck, ND 58505-0480 or 877.245.6685 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- GEO Corrections Holdings, Inc., a subsidiary of the private prison company GEO Group, donated to a pro-Trump super PAC during the 2016 election; a move which was arguably illegal, as federal contractors cannot make political donations http://bit.ly/2ryHLqZ A complaint was filed in November of 2016 by the Campaign Legal Group, a nonpartisan campaign finance watchdog, yet there seems to be no word of any progress being made since the filing. The GEO Group stands to profit immensely through the Trump Administration, with Jeff Sessions' reinstatement of the "War on Drugs" where people will be convicted and placed in prison for lesser crimes, ICE's rounding up of immigrants to be placed in detention facilities, and Trump's stated focus on "law and order." Let's send a message to the Federal Elections Commission that we expect them to follow through on Campaign Legal Group's complaint, and investigate the GEO Group. We can e-mail them at email@example.com and we can sign Color of Change's petition to the FEC Commissioners: https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/no-pay-for-play/
- Since the president has made it clear that combating climate change is not on his agenda, let's focus our efforts locally. We can call our state Governors and ask them to commit to the standards set in place by the Paris agreement. 5calls has more information, a call script, and phone numbers available: https://5calls.org/issue/recCfiQl5iqBu2tDh
- In a very unconventional move, “White House press aides since Tuesday have been directing all reporters asking about any of the probes to contact the president’s New York-based outside counsel, Marc Kasowitz.” In doing so, “They’re saying both that the government is no longer responsible for addressing these issues and someone who the president pays privately is. That’s new territory.” http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/02/trump-officials-russia-investigation-marc-kasowitz-239078 Let’s let the Office of Government Ethics know that we do not think this is appropriate. https://www.oge.gov/web/oge.nsf/Organization/Contact%20Us?opendocument
- While the transgender fight for equality is slowly taking place in the U.S. court system, some states are moving to shield their transgender citizens from discrimination through legislation. Most recently, Oregon Governor Kate Brown just signed HB 2673 into law, making it easier for individuals to change the name and gender identity on their birth certificate http://bit.ly/2s1m17M Let's make sure that our own state is moving to protect the LGBTQ community. We can check out the Transgender Law Center's interactive map to see how our state currently measures up https://transgenderlawcenter.org/equalitymap , then contact our legislators to let them know we want them to introduce and/or support LGBTQ policies.
- Mike Pence recently said, "… for some reason or another, this issue of climate change has emerged as a paramount issue for the left in this country and around the world." http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/336070-pence-for-some-reason-climate-change-is-a-key-issue-for-the-left Let’s let Pence know that science knows no political ideology.
- “A national coalition of press groups urged a congressional ethics panel on Friday to consider disciplinary action against Montana's newly elected congressman, who is charged with throwing a reporter to the ground during a confrontation a day before the election.” https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2017-06-02/press-groups-urge-congressional-probe-on-assault-of-reporter Let’s let the Office of Congressional Ethics know that we agree and want a recommendation sent to the House Ethics Committee. We should not normalize our legislators as assaulters. Contact them here: https://oce.house.gov/contact-us/
- Looking for more ways to fight back against Trump on the Paris Agreement? Check here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HdhqrzJ36nyJEF_lvDLnD7JT_hJeQSaS2Ku4L6JZkkA/edit
- The March For Truth is today. “The legitimacy of our democracy is more important than the interests of any party, or any President. So, we will rise together to call for a fair and impartial investigation, for the pursuit of truth, and for the restoration of faith in our electoral system and the Office of the Presidency.” We can find our marches here: https://www.marchfortruth.info/
- One of the direst consequences of Trump’s withdrawal from the Paris Climate Agreement is his refusal to honor our obligation to contribute $3 billion by 2020 to the Green Climate Fund, designed to help developing countries reduce emissions and adapt to unavoidable changes set in motion by historic emissions (for which the US is overwhelmingly responsible): https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/06/02/trump-will-stop-paying-into-the-green-climate-fund-he-has-no-idea-what-it-is/ Many giant corporations have publicly touted their support of the agreement, among them GE, Google, Goldman Sachs , Shell, Microsoft, Amazon. Given their current billions in profits (https://www.forbes.com/top-public-companies/list/#tab:overall), let’s ask these corporations to follow the Michael Bloomberg's lead (https://phys.org/news/2017-06-billionaire-bloomberg-pledges-million-climate.html) and put their money where their mouths are. Collectively, they could easily make up the $2 billion the US still owes. Perhaps we can at least help save the financial viability of the Paris accords.
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk and Disney CEO Bob Iger have dropped out of Trump’s business advisory board because of Trump’s decision to leave the Paris climate accord: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/02/elon-musk-and-disney-boss-quit-trumps-business-panel-over-paris-pullout Let’s thank them for this important form of leadership: Mr. Elon Musk, Tesla Headquarters, 3500 Deer Creek Road, , Walt Disney Company, 500 S Buena Vista St, Burbank, CA 91521
- From one of our own: While we are at it, let’s let some of the others remaining on Trump’s advisory board know what we think. Details here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0k1qCMVpKZpN1JhWVRjZnpOSk0
- The fantasy that Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner would be moderating forces on Trump is falling away: http://thehill.com/video/in-the-news/335956-fmr-obama-aide-ivanka-trumps-reputation-will-suffer-if-president-withdraws If you have not already been in touch with her about her complicity and him about why he needs to step away from our republic, now would be a good time to reach out: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC, 20500
- Trump tried to co-opt the city of Pittsburgh in his Rose Garden speech about the Paris climate agreement but the Mayor of Pittsburgh, Bill Peduto, is not having it: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/335994-pittsburgh-mayor-fires-back-at-trump-my-city-will-follow-paris Let’s thank Mayor Peduto for standing up: Office of the Mayor, 512 City-County Building, 414 Grant Street,Pittsburgh, PA 15219
- One of our best hopes of stopping Trump's attacks on our climate is through the courts (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/05/03/environmental-groups-sue-trump-administration-over-offshore-drilling/?utm_term=.50350294ac4c). That makes leading environmental law groups like Earthjustice more important than ever. Let's show them support by donating here.
- Many kids get most of their daily nutrition at school. With school ending that means there will be many hungry kids this summer. If we have or know of a school-aged student in need of breakfast and lunch this summer, text FOOD to 877877 and receive a message back with a location closest to where they can get free summer meals. Or, check here: https://www.fns.usda.gov/summerfoodrocks Please copy and paste and share!
Petitions to Sign
- Let’s tell the Federal Election Committee to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 election: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/FEC_Russia
- “We, the people of the United States of America, sign on to the Paris Agreement: https://petitions.moveon.org/sign/we-the-people-sign-onto
- And, because apparently the Paris news was not enough, we now know that Trump will appeal the travel ban case to the Supreme Court: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-idUSKBN18T09Z
- Here is the weekly edition of RISE Stronger’s United States of Resistance: https://www.risestronger.org/newsroom/wearetheresistance
- Here’s a lesson on gerrymandering we can all use: https://www.facebook.com/georgehtakei/videos/10154613778973059/
- And, our weekly dose of Small Victories: http://www.peaceisloud.org/blog/small-victories-issue-22