Contact Government Officials
Reports say that call numbers are low – please call.
Every day, make at least one call.
- The Trump administration continually works to erase our LGBTQ+ community. The Department of Commerce has released their 2017 Equal Opportunity Employment statement, and language protecting sexual orientation and gender identity is gone http://bit.ly/2sFlkRM Let's give the Department of Commerce a call and let them know that we value our LGBTQ+ community, and expect them to do the same (202) 482-4883 We can also send an e-mail to express our thoughts on the matter firstname.lastname@example.org While we are at it, let’s call our MoCs about this as well. We value everyone.
- "She's arranged tournaments at Trump golf courses, served as the liaison to the Trump family during his presidential campaign, and even arranged Eric Trump's wedding. Now President Trump has appointed longtime loyalist Lynne Patton -- who has zero housing experience and claims a law degree the school says she never earned -- to run the office that oversees federal housing programs in New York.” http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-chooses-family-event-planner-run-n-y-housing-programs-article-1.3251314 Let’s tell the White House that we need experienced people to run these programs and that this is disrespectful to the professionals who work tirelessly in public housing: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20500
- Connecticut Senator Chris Murphy found a very compassionate way to talk about the Congressional baseball practice shootings without taking his eyes off the prize of better gun control: https://m.facebook.com/notes/chris-murphy/im-going-to-play-baseball-tonight/10155086217928961/ Let’s be in touch with our own MoC to be a voice against the notion that what we need are MORE guns. We can also thank Senator Murphy for being a stalwart advocate on many fronts: 136 Hart SOB, Washington, DC 20510
- While we are at it, we know that "Lawmakers are debating a range of heightened security measures following Wednesday’s shooting that critically injured House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, with a growing number of Republicans even seeking to carry their own guns into the Capitol for personal safety." http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/15/congress-baseball-shooting-carry-guns-239613 We all know this makes no sense! Let's tell our Reps that common sense gun laws work. Let's ask them to get assault weapons off the streets; no more large ammunition clips; if you are no fly, you are no gun; and create a three day waiting list on a national gun registry.
- From Postcards from Kate: Florida's Congresswoman Stephanie Murphy (D-07) decided to run against a popular incumbent last year after he accepted a donation from the NRA in the days following the shooting at Pulse. She won. One of her first acts was to sponsor legislation that would make it possible for the federal government to learn more about how to prevent gun violence. H.R.1478, the Gun Violence Research Act, would overturn prohibitions on research into gun violence, and it's currently languishing in the House subcommittee on Health. Read her remarkable story (http://www.vogue.com/article/congresswoman-stephanie-murphy-florida-pulse-nra ), and send her thanks for her hard work via snail mail. Congresswoman Stephanie Murphy, 225 E Robinson, Suite 525, Orlando, FL 32801
- Mark Sanford (R-SC) called out Trump for being part of the reason for the divisiveness in the US. http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rep-mark-sanford-trump-partially-blame-polarization/story?id=48063542 We can send "Thank you's" to: Mark Sanford, 530 Johnnie Dodds Blvd Ste 201, Mt Pleasant SC 29464-3083.
- Radioactive waste is flowing freely into the Columbia River in Washington state. https://www.courthousenews.com/radioactive-waste-still-flooding-columbia-river-epa-says/ Let's tell Scott Pruitt that we support the clean-up effort and want to see it fully funded. Mail him here: Scott Pruitt, EPA, 1200 Pennsylvania Ave NW, MC 1101A, Washington DC 20460.
- Republicans and Democrats came together to oppose the 30% budget cuts to the EPA. https://www.buzzfeed.com/zahrahirji/republicans-and-democrats-blast-epa-budget?utm_term=.wpZOORad3v#.mnMBBJZ51v Let's tell our representatives that we want the EPA to be fully funded.
- Trump and his FCC chair are going after Obama's efforts on net neutrality. They want big telecom companies to be left to police themselves, allowing them to create fast lanes for those that they favor or those who can pay and slow lanes for everyone else. (http://thehill.com/policy/technology/336502-groups-plan-internet-wide-day-of-action-for-net-neutrality) Next month, Internet freedom advocates and progressive activists will stage a huge Day of Action on July 12. Let's help out by signing up for updates on it, sending a comment to the FCC and calling our members of Congress. We can find tools from The Nation here: https://www.thenation.com/article/join-activists-companies-planning-big-day-action-save-net-neutrality/
- Powerful and concise editorial in the New York Times about the Senate health care process: https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/the-silence-of-the-hacks/?_r=0 If we have a Republican Senator let’s be in touch with him/her and encourage friends and family in our state to do the same.
- Many of our citizens do not have proper ID. The Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington, D.C. has an I.D. Ministry designed to help struggling people obtain this, and other necessary documents. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/what-happens-to-people-who-cant-prove-who-they-are/2017/06/14/fc0aaca2-4215-11e7-adba-394ee67a7582_story.html?utm_term=.b5d35339a06d Let’s check out what they do and see if we can make this happen in our own communities: http://foundryumc.org/fridaymission/
- Trump’s disdain for international cooperation, his climate change “skepticism,” and his hostility toward science has done in another federal agency. In a false economy, Energy Secretary Rick Perry is closing the 11-person Office of International Climate and Technology, which works with other countries to develop clean energy technology and plays a leading role in the annual international Clean Energy Ministerial: http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/338027-energy-department-closes-international-clean-energy-office We should let Perry know that we want the US to work with the world on ways to arrest climate change: 202-586-5000 (FAX: 202-586-4403)
- Here is a broken campaign promise to celebrate: The Trump administration has decided to “keep in place the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) policy, allowing undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as children to remain in the country.” http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/338117-trump-breaks-campaign-promise-to-deport-dreamers The Dreamers get to stay! However, the next part of the Obama protections, which Trump is rolling back before it begins, Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents (DAPA) which is the “program [that] intends to offer a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrant parents whose children are either residents or citizens of the U.S.” https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2017/06/trump-rolls-back-dapa-program/530571/ So, while the Dreamers will be able to stay, some of their parents may not. The same goes for undocumented parents who had children while in the U.S.; the children may stay, but not the parents. Let’s let the White House and our MoCs know that we are not about splitting up families. They need to find a way to citizenship for these parents.
- EMAIL ADDRESS CORRECTION: "Conservative talk show host Sean Hannity responded to a bombshell report claiming President Trump is under investigation for obstruction of justice on Wednesday and called on special counsel Robert Mueller and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein to resign Wednesday. Mueller and Rod Rosenstein? Recuse themselves, resign immediately,” Hannity said on Fox News. The conservative firebrand cited Mueller’s conflicts of interest with ousted FBI Director James Comey as reason for him to resign." The Fox News star dismissed the Washington Post’s report, saying the newspaper is “once again citing anonymous sources as if they haven’t been wrong enough recently.” This "journalist" from FOX needs to start telling the truth. http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/337905-hannity-calls-on-mueller-rosenstein-to-resign Let’s tell Hannity and Fox News that the Washington Post is real news and his uninformed comments are misleading the public especially when we all need to hear the truth. Contact: 1) FOX NEWS +1-888-369-4762, email@example.com and 2) HANNITY: tweet. @seanhannity
- One of the ways we can fight back against climate change is by working to reduce carbon pollution. Cool Effect helps us accomplish this by finding projects around the world which have proven to reduce carbon emissions, thoroughly vetting them, then placing them on their website where we can help crowdfund each project. We can learn more about the organization, and find projects to fund here: https://www.cooleffect.org/coollection/coollection
- June is Immigrant Heritage Month. I Am An Immigrant is helping us celebrate this. Let’s see if there are any events near us and join in: https://www.iamanimmigrant.com/events/
- In honor of the 49 victims of the Pulse Night Club mass shooting, members of Orlando's LGBTQ community have partnered with GLAAD to launch #HonorThemWithAction. Part of this is the Remember Pulse: 49 Days of Action campaign, in which a list of action items will be posted every Monday, for seven weeks. To participate, we can visit the Honor Them With Action website https://honorthemwithaction.org/49days/ or text "honor" to 99000. To help make sure we are using effective, supportive language in our actions, and for sample tweets and posts, we can also check out the Honor Them With Action Toolkit: https://honorthemwithaction.org/toolkit/
- Another march is gearing up. This time it is an Impeachment March on July 2nd and they are popping up globally. We can find more info here on sister marches and how to stage our own to add to the growing number: http://www.impeachmentmarch.org/ We can also follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/impeachmentmarchworldwide/
- On June 20th, the United Nations sponsors World Refugee Day. We can learn more about it as well as access events and actions: http://www.unhcr.org/refugeeday/us/ We can also join Women’s March Global to find more information and actions we can take: https://www.womensmarchglobal.com/
- Here is another nifty way to find your federal legislators: https://www.contactingcongress.org/ Once we input our address, not only does it tell us the all the addresses and phone numbers of our people in Washington, but it also gives other details as well including links to their social media, a link to email them, Let’s check it out!
- How did we end up with a science denier in the White House when a majority of Americans believe in climate change? Well, one reason is that millions of environmentalists are registered to vote and don't show up to the polls.(http://www.wbur.org/cognoscenti/2016/12/27/environmentalists-dont-vote-nathaniel-stinnett) The Environmental Voter Project is trying to make sure that doesn't happen in the next election by having people sign a pledge to vote - and thus signing themselves up to receive reminders when elections come up in their area. Let's all sign the pledge and share it with our environmentalist friends and family members: http://www.environmentalvoter.org/blog/care-about-environment-heres-what-you-can-do-right-now.
- It may be a fine line, but there is a difference between actual news and promotion. Megyn Kelly’s interview with InfoWar’s Alex Jones crosses that line. Advertisers are backing away from the show. http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/13/media/megyn-kelly-alex-jones-advertisers/index.html We need to contact the last two companies still advertising during the show and ask them why they are the only ones left. Allstate Insurance. Customer Service 1-800-255-7828 // PR: firstname.lastname@example.org and Geico. PR team: email@example.com // Customer Service 1 (800) 861-8380
- An op-ed piece in the NY Times asks whether it’s “Time for a Doctors’ March on Washington”: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/opinion/ahca-doctors-march-on-washington.html Whether it is or not, we should mobilize our own doctors—a majority of whom nation-wide have expressed deep reservations about Trumpcare—and encourage them to contact their members of Congress. They are a constituency with tremendous clout!
- In January, Trump was saying that drug prices had to come down, shocking the CEOs of big pharma in attendance at a White House meeting. https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-01-31/trump-meets-with-drugmakers-as-industry-fears-price-controls. Now, Trump's so-called "Drug Pricing and Innovation Working Group" is singing a different tune. Instead of taking the powerful pharmaceuticals industry to task, the Working Group now seems to be focusing on policies that would benefit big pharma and hurt patients. http://khn.org/news/exclusive-white-house-task-force-echoes-pharma-proposals/ Let's talk with our healthcare providers about how they think this will affect the affordability of our prescriptions, and ask them to speak out about this to the FDA, the only research agency to be represented on the working group.
- Trump has rolled back protections for endangered whales, other marine mammals, and sea turtles. http://billmoyers.com/story/trump-axes-protection-for-endangered-whales/
- A good LA Times op-ed about Sessions: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-mason-sessions-defense-shut-up-20170615-story,amp.html
- Here is this week’s “United States of Resistance” from Rise Stronger: https://www.risestronger.org/newsroom/senatedestroyshealthcare
- And, our weekly dose of “Small Victories” http://www.peaceisloud.org/blog/small-victories-issue-24