Contact Federal Government Officials
- Amidst the sparklers and cookouts, we have a real opportunity to honor “liberty and justice for all” by continuing to speak up about the health care bill in the Senate. Far right and libertarian Senators Mike Lee and Rand Paul are warming to Trump’s idea to repeal the ACA now and replace later which sounds disastrous at best: http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/340437-gop-sens-push-possibility-of-repealing-then-replacing-obamacare VOX has put together an easy-to-read chart on where wavering Republicans stand on Trumpcare: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/3/15905512/senate-health-care-bill-mitch-mcconnell-one-chart (scroll down in article for chart) Please continue to contact your Senators over the holiday recess to make sure they know where their constituents stand. McConnell is looking for any path that can pass not any path that serves Americans.
- In the fall of 2015, the EPA finalized a rule which set federal limits on the amount of toxic metals that may be allowed in power plant wastewater; wastewater which, in turn, is then dumped into our nation's water resources. However, it looks like the Trump administration, with Scott Pruitt at the helm of the EPA, is looking to delay the compliance deadlines for the rule http://wapo.st/2ocNBJb http://bit.ly/2uhCCm1 Let's take advantage of the public comment period, and let the EPA know that we do not want the compliance date to be moved back. The Sierra Club has a comment we can edit and send to the EPA http://bit.ly/2uC2cBt
- On Thursday of last week, the Senate passed the Russia sanctions bill (S. 722) after making the necessary tweaks required by the House http://cnn.it/2s7PnhF Still, it is sitting in Committee in the House, with no vote being taken yet. Let's call our reps, and the Chairman of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs and ask that they support S. 722 and move it to a House vote ASAP: https://5calls.org/issue/recgJ9hzeJ68f1unI
- Trump is proposing eliminating heating aid for low-income Americans. Again, his decision is based on other than fact. http://www.wcvb.com/article/trump-proposes-end-to-heating-aid-for-low-income-americans/10251853 Several senators have asked him to reconsider. Let’s let our MoCs know that our most vulnerable deserve better than this.
- White House adviser (homeland security and counterterrorism) Thomas Bossert said on ABC News, after viewing Trump’s violent CNN video for the first time, that Trump is the “the most genuine president”: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/02/trump-tweets-bossert-240180 Let’s let Mr. Bossert know what we consider to be genuine about Trump – like for example his sexism: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20500
- The Reddit user claiming “artistic” credit for the version of the wrestling video that Trump tweeted out representing violence against CNN has quite a vile history of sexist, anti-Semitic, and anti-Muslim posts: https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/the-intersect/wp/2017/07/02/a-reddit-user-who-wrote-about-stabbing-muslims-is-claiming-credit-for-trumps-cnn-video/ We can use this time to check in with Ivanka Trump about her concern about the “viciousness” of Washington; with Jared Kushner about his father-in-law promoting someone anti-Semitic; with Mike Pence about abiding the principles of his Christian faith; and with Sarah Huckabee Sanders about her assertion that Trump does not promote violence. All can be reached at The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20500
- "One of the Justice Department’s top corporate crime watchdogs has resigned, declaring that she cannot enforce ethics laws against companies while, she asserts, her own bosses in the Trump administration have been engaging in conduct that she said she would never tolerate in corporation. Trying to hold companies to standards that our current administration is not living up to was creating a cognitive dissonance that I could not overcome," http://www.ibtimes.com/political-capital/justice-departments-corporate-crime-watchdog-resigns-saying-trump-makes-it Republicans in the house need to publicly call out the president and his staff for their behaviors. Let's ask the Republican leaders and all our governors to call out the president on his actions and condemn his behaviors in stronger words and actions. We are losing the best of the best as they leave their government posts. These are the folks that have been protecting us.
- We can finally send some love to Attorney General Jeff Sessions who publicly vowed vigilant pursuit of violence against transgender victims and other hate crimes. http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2017/06/29/jeff-sessions-federal-hate-crime-laws-transgender-240087 We need to show the attorney general that we notice when he does something of which we approve and encourage him to keep it up. Write him here: Jeff Sessions, Dept of Justice, 950 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington DC 20530.
- Congressman Jamie Raskin (D-MD) introduced HR1987, a bill to create an oversight committee that can declare if the president is incapacitated. http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/340392-more-dems-sign-onto-bill-to-impeach-trump The bill already has 21 Democratic co-sponsors. Let's check to see if our Democratic representatives are among them and contact them if they are not. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr1987/details
- Among the long list of devastating cuts the Trump administration is seeking is drastically reducing funding for programs at the Department of Housing and Urban Development. (http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/19/hud-budget-cuts-housing-programs-238610) Manufactured Housing Action is organizing Resisters to contact their senators to block these cuts, along with reductions to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Let’s join their efforts here: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/tell-your-representatives-to-stand-against-cuts-to-social-security-and-health-care.
- FL: Let's celebrate Independence Day by protecting a fundamental American right. Florida bans former felons from voting for the rest of their lives, one of only three states to do so, due to a law that dates back to Jim Crow. This law bars almost 1.7 million people from voting, including 1 out of every 5 African-American adults. (https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/04/21/florida-supreme-court-approves-ballot-question-on-voting-rights-for-ex-felons) Floridians are fighting to get a question on next year’s ballot that would restore voting rights, and they need our help. Let’s check out www.miamirights.com, where those of us in Florida can sign the petition to make sure this issue goes before the voters and where all of us can donate to support their efforts.
- ALL: If you have not yet taken action in your state about the voter election commission request for information (contacting your governor and secretary of state), this might be motivating: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/01/trump-voter-fraud-panel-hackers-240168 Use this for contacts and more info: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tTkRseESfZ-DSlk7GbcBz_8DDDbxFzOhzrUiOaj11bY/edit#gid=0
- ALL: "The National Popular Vote bill has now passed a total of 35 state legislative chambers in 23 states. The National Popular Vote bill will take effect when enacted into law by states possessing 270 electoral votes (a majority of the 538 electoral votes). It has been enacted into law in 11 states possessing 165 electoral votes (CA, DC, HI, IL, MA, MD, NJ, NY, RI, VT, WA). The bill will take effect when enacted by states possessing an additional 105 electoral votes." What is your state doing on this issue? You can check it out here and encourage your state to move on this issue. Let's get this passed before 2020. One person, one vote. The popular vote should be the pathway to the White House. http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/state-status
- MANY: A group of Republican attorneys general are calling on Trump to end the DACA (Dreamers) Program, which protects eligible immigrant youth who came to the US when they were children from deportation. "And if he doesn’t, they’re threatening to sue and force him to." https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/29/15895458/trump-daca-dreamers-immigration. This anti-immigration stance is not what made America great. 10 state attorneys general and one governor (Idaho) signed the letter to Trump. Those of us who live in the following states should call our state AGs to let them know that we don't agree with or support their stance on DACA: TX, AL, AR, ID, KS, LA, NE, SC, TN, WV.
- MANY: Fight voter suppression! Automatic Voter Registration, which increases voter registration rates by making voter registration a matter of opt-out rather than opt-in, has been approved in Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Oregon, Vermont, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Where do our states stand? Visit https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/automatic-voter-registration and scroll down to find out. Then let’s contact our state reps and governor and urge them to pass Automatic Voter Registration in our states.
- Local elections never get the publicity that federal elections do, and when they’re not on the usual day in November it’s easy to miss out on the chance to make your voice heard. That’s led to distressingly low turnout in local elections in the United Sates. (http://www.citylab.com/politics/2016/11/in-the-us-almost-no-one-votes-in-local-elections/505766/) So the developers at NewFounders have released the EveryElection app, which will let us know when every election from federal to local is coming up, how and where to vote, and let us find information on the candidates. We can download it for iPhone here, with web and Android versions now in development: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1249127649.
- From one of our own: On twitter and looking to have a little fun today? #DearKrisKobach and let him know all your useless secrets. Make sure to tag Kobach and Pence in your tweets!
- Our friends at #TheResistance Tweetsheets have given us some more tweets especially for Independence Day! https://resistancetweetsheets.wordpress.com/2017/07/03/happy4th/
- Here’s a petition from CREDO to protect medical marijuana. It’s been reported that Jeff Sessions wrote a private letter to congressional leaders, demanding permission to prosecute medical marijuana providers and patients. Now he’s going after sick people. https://act.credoaction.com/sign/protect_medical_marijuana?t=2&akid=23850.12667004.BKgiap.
- Families belong together. A British-Iranian woman has been jailed for over a year in Iran on unspecified charges following a visit with family. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/02/british-iranian-woman-jailed-in-tehran-in-state-of-despair-iran-nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe Let’s sign this petition to the British Prime Minister to help free her: https://www.change.org/p/free-nazanin-ratcliffe
Marches/events to attend/organize
- Search for Congressional town halls, protest/rallies, and other events in your area: https://www.risestronger.org/events
- Happy Birthday, U.S.A! http://www.adweek.com/creativity/droga5-brings-together-descendants-of-americas-founders-for-its-first-ancestry-com-ad/
- Excellent piece in The Atlantic about Trump and Twitter’s harassment policies: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/the-president-of-the-united-states-is-testing-twitters-harassment-policy/532497/
- If we need comfort as the nation’s “patriots” celebrate Independence Day, we can find it in the 3-day “Fearless Cities” summit in Barcelona, attended by urban organizers and elected officials from around the world: https://www.thenation.com/article/these-cities-might-just-save-the-country/ Active resistance, it demonstrates, “is alive and thriving all over the globe—nowhere, perhaps, more so than in the cities and towns. . . . From fossil-fuel and private-prison divestment drives to anti-austerity protests and experiments in clean-energy production, urban areas have been busy building visionary movements and making humane policy. When Trump announced his intent to withdraw from the Paris accord on June 1, it was cities—more than 300 of them—that stepped up to declare that they would uphold this country’s commitments to the climate goals.”