5/8/17 To-do List
Contact Government Officials
- Time is getting short to get in our comments on the Trump- proposed EPA regulations roll-backs. Here are 23 of them: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/05/02/climate/environmental-rules-reversed-trump-100-days.html?smid=tw-share Comment here: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=EPA-HQ-OA-2017-0190-0042
- For those of us needing a little help figuring how to do the comments on the EPA, this explanation from our friends at Indivisible Ventura should help: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qGumuye1NZGY4AK13dabAbdfvQL9sO1vOpzChft1v8o/edit?usp=sharing
- It seems that not all the GOP representatives actually read the healthcare bill that they passed. Nonetheless, we the people want to hear from them what is in the bill and why those who voted for it, did. Rep. Maloney (D-NY) has said that if those GOP members won’t go to tell their constituents, then perhaps the Dems in the House should. http://thehill.com/homenews/house/332199-dem-if-republicans-dont-answer-questions-on-health-bill-dems-should Let’s ask a Dem to come talk about it at a town hall in our district.
- As we know, the House did not hold any hearings on Trumpcare (there were nearly 100 on the ACA) so they did not glean any information from expert witnesses. If they had listened they would that many healthcare organizations are against it. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/doctors-health-groups-denounce-ahca-health-care-vote/ Let’s make sure to ask our senators that they take the time to listen to these folks…..and us.
- On May 4, Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed a "campus carry" law "legalizing the concealed carry of firearms in some areas of public college and university campuses." This is part of a wider trend. As NPR reports, "At least 10 states now allow some form of campus carry and nearly 20 bills were introduced across the country by state lawmakers just last year." Disturbingly, campus carry also seems to be a priority for the NRA: "The NRA's lobbying arm has said supporting student activists ... is an increasing part of a strategy to grow membership." http://www.npr.org/2017/05/04/526971357/flipping-on-the-issue-georgia-gov-signs-campus-carry-bill . For those of us in Georgia, let's call Gov. Deal to let him know that guns on campus are never a good thing: 404-656-1776. For the rest of us, Wikipedia has a well-researched article on the subject, which includes an up-to-date chart on what is allowed in each state. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campus_carry_in_the_United_States. Let's call our governors to let them know we don't think that gun rights and college campuses mix.
- Congressman Raul Labrador in Idaho sparked outrage at a Town Hall on Friday when he said that “nobody dies because they don’t have access to health care”: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gop-congressman-nobody-dies-because-they-dont-have-access-to-health-care/ Since a study at Harvard showed that approximately 45,000 people die annually due to lack of health care: http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2009/09/new-study-finds-45000-deaths-annually-linked-to-lack-of-health-coverage/ let’s check in with Labrador about his math: Rep. Raul Labrador, 1523 Longworth HOB, Washington, DC 20515
- Well done, Resistance! Mark Green has withdrawn his nomination to be the Army Secretary. He cited false and misleading attacks as the issue although he was being directly quoted. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/mark-green-trumps-pick-army-post-drops-amid-growing-criticism/ Let's use this as motivation for the work we are doing and let’s keep our eyes on this position, to see who the third nominee will be.
- NY Congressman Chris Collins admitted that he did not read AHCA and then seemed confused about the effect it would have on his own district: http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/04/collins-says-didnt-read-health-bill-proves/ Please consider contacting Collins: 1117 Longworth HOB, Washington, DC 20515 and keep up your communication with your MoC.
- MomsRising is celebrating Mother’s Day by delivering many mini-Statue of Libertys to Trump and other officials: http://action.momsrising.org/sign/Statue_of_Liberty_FreedomJustice/?source=blog You can get involved in their efforts and/or send your own homemade Statue of Liberty postcard to Trump to honor the Mother of Exiles: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20500
- Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Arizona) submitted a resolution that threatens to repeal the National Park Service’s authority to manage private drilling for oil, gas and minerals at 40 national parks, according to the National Parks Conservation Association. The day after his resolution was referred to the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, he was selected to chair its Subcommittee on Energy and Mineral Resources. He also accepted money from big energy. http://fox6now.com/2017/02/03/the-rep-who-introduced-national-parks-drilling-bill-got-250k-from-big-energy-tmwsp/ It is evident that this empowerment includes allowing significant drilling in our National Parks. We need to contact these subcommittee members to let them know that our national parks are precious and we do not want to see them opened up to drilling. The link to the subcommittee and its members is here: is: http://naturalresources.house.gov/energyandmineralresources/
- In the flurry of the past week, the House Financial Services Committee passed the Financial CHOICE Act (H.R. 10), which would overhaul Dodd-Frank and ease regulations against big banks, decreasing protections for consumers. http://www.cutimes.com/2017/05/04/house-committee-approves-choice-act-durbin-amendme Let’s call our Representatives and tell them to oppose the Financial CHOICE Act. 5Calls has more information and a call script: https://5calls.org/issue/recIY5BMUytUixNbV
- Senators Kamala Harris and Dianne Feinstein have introduced legislation, which would help agricultural workers gain citizenship: S.1034 - A bill to improve agricultural job opportunities, benefits, and security for aliens in the United States, and for other purposes. http://lat.ms/2pJDtKj The bill is currently in the Senate Judiciary Committee , and it only has four cosponsors. Let's call our Senators and the Judiciary Committee to tell them we support this legislation. https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/about/members
- The FCC is probing Stephen Colbert’s comments about Trump on a recent show after receiving complaints about it: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/332132-fcc-probing-colberts-trump-putin-joke?amp A satirist on late night TV responding in unprecedented times does not need punishment. Please take a moment to share the opposite of a complaint with FCC Chairman Ajit Pai: Ajit.Pai@fcc.gov
- The link below is the map on the status of the National Popular Vote legislation. If this legislation passes in enough states to add up to 270 electoral votes, then each State will submit their presidential winner based on the popular vote in that state. States that have passed this bill to date have 165 votes so far. http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/state-status Let's make our votes count. Check out your State and let's tell our reps we want this legislations passed.
- It will be tougher to pass the healthcare bill in the Senate. There are some vulnerable Republican senators. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/obamacare-repeal-republicans-health-care-law-democrats/525555/ Let’s write to these senators to let them know that we will not accept a healthcare bill that leave millions uninsured because of pre-existing conditions, cuts Medicaid for our most vulnerable, and gives tax cuts to the wealthy. Let's also use this opportunity to tell them what we do want such as Single Payer. Let’s write to: 1) AK: Lisa Murkowski, 1900 First Ave Ste 225, Ketchikan AK 99901-6059, 2) AZ: Jeff Flake, 6840 N Oracle Rd Ste 150, Tucson AZ 85704-4252, 3) CO: Cory Gardner, 102 S Tejon St #930, Colorado Springs CO 80903-2231, 4) ME: Susan Collins, 1 Canal Plz Ste 802, Portland ME 04101-4035, 5) NV: Dean Heller, 8930 W Sunset Rd Ste 230, Las Vegas NV 89148-5010, 6) OH: Rob Portman, 37 W Broad St Ste 300, Columbus OH 43215-4180, 7) PA: Pat Toomey, US Federal Bldg, 17 S Park Row B120, Erie PA 16501-1156, 8) WV: Shelly Moore Capito, 48 Donley St Ste 504, Morgantown WV 26501-5900
- Both the American Medical Association and the American Hospital Association, as well as nurses and patient groups, have come out in strong opposition to the AHCA, but health insurers have remained silent. The reason? They stand to make even more money. http://billmoyers.com/story/why-big-insurance-adores-the-american-health-care-act/ Let’s make sure our senators know that we know big pharma and profit-making insurance companies are part of the problem.
- Here's another story of a U.S. citizen being subjected to an unconstitutional iPhone search at the border as he re-entered the U.S. after a trip to Brussels: https://www.aclunc.org/blog/why-did-government-search-artist-s-iphone-border. We should know that "Searches at the border must comport with the Fourth Amendment, and as the U.S. Supreme Court made clear in , the privacy rights afforded by the Constitution absolutely extend to the information on a cell phone. Yet the government maintains that it can search travelers’ electronic devices at the border without a warrant, probable cause, or any justification at all." Let's continue to insist on our rights, and make sure to report illegal and intrusive Customs and Border Protection behavior to the ACLU.
- We all now know that part of the solution is to make sure we have good people running for office at all levels. Some of us have been thinking about it. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/01/a_guide_to_resources_for_running_for_office.html If we are a woman and are not sure where to start, we can start here: https://secure.emilyslist.org/page/s/20170207_ads_rtwrun If we are young and progressive, we can start here: https://www.runforsomething.net/
- Ellen DeGeneres has stated that since he stands for everything she does not believes in, she will not have Trump on her show. http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/332068-ellen-tells-matt-lauer-trump-against-everything-i-stand-for Let’s write to her and thank her for all she has done for so many and for standing for right: Warner Bros. Studio 11, 3000 W Alameda Ave., Burbank, CA 91505
- RISE Stronger has incredible teams of volunteers working on bringing new tools and initiatives to the Resistance movement, and is specifically looking for help in the following areas: 1) United States of Resistance Mapping Project – Research and Data Entry, 2) The People’s Calendar - Quality Control, 3) Communications - Graphic Designers, 4) Communications - Social Media Gurus, and 5) Communications - Communication & Marketing Associates. If we can fill any of these needs, for more information click here: https://risestronger.org/newsroom/join-the-resistance-volunteer-with-rise-stronger
- Rooted in Rights, a disability rights group, and the National Council on Independent Living are asking for video submissions for the #IAmAPreExistingCondition campaign. The campaign is working towards humanizing those of us who will be affected by the AHCA, so that our senators can associate the dangerous effects of this bill with real people. http://bit.ly/2pPXjFj
- In a special election on May 25, the Democrats hope to elect Rob Quist to fill the at large House seat vacated by Ryan Zinke, Trump’s Interior Secretary. GOP outside groups have reputedly poured more than $2.5 million into his opponent’s campaign: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/montana-election-rob-quist-bernie-sanders-greg-gianforte/525657/ Aside from contributions--which can be made through Act Blue https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/quist-ads-dd --we can call to urge our fellow citizens to let the GOP know that all elections are not up for sale. Our Revolution is organizing phone banking for Quist over the two weeks prior to the election. Regardless of where we live, we can sign up here and help: https://go.ourrevolution.com/page/s/call-quist
- The Sierra Club is doing some exciting work in furtherance of the climate movement, beginning with a special Climate Resistance Telebriefing on Monday evening, May 8. For more information and to rsvp, go to https://sierra.secure.force.com/events/details?id=70131000001yOhEAAU&formcampaignid=70131000001yOZIAA2.
Petitions to Sign
- Eventbrite continues to offer a platform to white nationalist hate groups across the United States. Let's tell Eventbrite that we need them to stand up against hatred and bigotry, by cutting off hate groups from their platform. Color of Change has more information and a petition we can sign, to be sent to Julia Hartz, Eventbrite's CEO. https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/eventbrite-stop-sponsoring-hate-groups/ We can also send the CEO a tweet @juliahartz letting her know that we find her company's support of white supremacists to be unacceptable.
- Let’s sign this petition to the Nebraska Public Service Commission to fight the Keystone XL pipeline. https://act.credoaction.com/sign/nebraska_keystone_xl
- Sec. of the Interior Zinke, who will visit Bears Ears and Grand Staircase early this coming week, said the department, for the first time, is seeking public comments on national monument designations. Public comment is not required when presidents create monuments under the Antiquities Act. The request for comments "finally gives a voice to local communities and states when it comes to Antiquities Act monument designations," Zinke said in a statement. "There is no predetermined outcome on any monument." Let’s sign this petition to Zinke asking him to leave these monuments alone: https://bearsearscoalition.org/action/
- “How to Stay Sane if Trump is Driving you Insane: Advice from a Therapist” https://firstname.lastname@example.org/how-to-stay-sane-if-trump-is-driving-you-insane-advice-from-a-therapist-42e982195e22
- We know that the well-being of we the people was not at the heart of Trumpcare, but Warren Buffet hits it spot on: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/06/527193477/the-oracle-of-omaha-condemns-republican-health-care-bill-at-berkshire-meeting
- He may have called them “false and misleading attacks”, but our outcry was heard and Mark Green has withdrawn as nominee for Army Secretary:. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/mark-green-trumps-pick-army-post-drops-amid-growing-criticism/ Let's use this as motivation for the work we are doing and let’s keep our eyes on this position, to see who the third nominee will be.
- A recent Pew Research Center survey revealed that more Americans are leaning toward government-sponsored healthcare. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/13/more-americans-say-government-should-ensure-health-care-coverage/ Even Trump likes single-payer system: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/05/donald-trump-single-payer-australia-bernie-sanders But single-payer is not public option. http://www.pnhp.org/docs/sp_vs_publicoption.pdf Let’s note that many of our legislators will try to turn a conversation about single payer into one about the public option, which would not cover as much. Let's stay focused in asking for Single Payer.