5/11/17 To-do List
Contact Government Officials
- It really is all about Russia and Trump.. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/10/comey-firing-trump-russia-238192 and Please keep up the steady drumbeat with your MoC about the need for a special investigation.
- In the aftermath of the Comey firing, we might want a “special prosecutor” (or an “independent counsel”) to take up the investigation of Russia’s involvement in the 2016 election. Although such a position was created after Watergate, Congress failed to renew the law under which it was created 1999. That’s why Democrat Mark Warner is calling for a “special counsel” and Republicans John McCain and Justin Amash want a “select committee,” both of them much more limited in their authority: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/us/politics/trump-rosenstein-comey-special-counsel-russia.html We need to bear this history in mind as we press our MoCs to take action in response to the firing of the investigator by the investigated.
- From one of our own: Several GOP legislators have expressed concern over Trump’s firing of Comey. https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-05-10/only-republicans-can-force-trump-s-hand-after-comey Check here for comments and how we can thank them: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BUKYMV-Sc7u5RhAbU3F72FZRE9Q693ADYOeUuplqECc/edit
- Mitch McConnell has convened a working group for the Senate health bill that is comprised of 13 men: http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/332587-mcconnell-downplays-all-male-healthcare-working-group and there is evidence that this is a bad idea: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on-leadership/wp/2017/05/09/a-lot-of-research-shows-that-putting-13-male-senators-in-charge-of-health-care-reform-is-a-lousy-idea/?utm_term=.83eaf8d0ef1e Let’s let McConnell know what we think of his choices: 317 Russell SOB, Washington, DC 20510
- FCC Chairman Ajit Pai is continuing to push to destroy net neutrality and open the door for a pay-to-play Internet. (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/technology/fcc-net-neutrality-ajit-pai.html) But they are accepting public comments on this proposal, and we should make our voices heard! We can use the Electronic Freedom Foundation's new tool, which makes it easy to do so: https://dearfcc.org/.
- Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) wants to look into Trump's Russian business connections and wants to see Trump's tax returns. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39860330 Let’s thank the senator and encourage him to keep up the good work. Lindsey Graham, 130 S Main St 7th Fl, Greenville SC 29601-5972
- Let's keep making our voices heard in the fight for net neutrality. John Oliver has recommended that we visit gofccyourself.com so that we can leave a comment with the FCC. http://thehill.com/policy/technology/332499-fcc-flooded-with-comments-on-net-neutrality-after-john-oliver-plea . We can also call our reps, to make sure that they support net neutrality as well. Script and phone number: https://5calls.org/issue/recXJyxhZ8DWuJzFd For more information on net neutrality, we can also check out this twenty-minute clip from Last Week Tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vuuZt7wak
- In response to the 217 Representatives who voted for the AHCA, the Indivisible Guide, Women's March, and the Townhall Project have created the Payback Project. The website is chock full of resources for holding our Reps accountable, understanding the AHCA, and finding local events. Let's join in, and make sure these Reps know that their votes are not going unnoticed: https://www.paybackproject.org/
- The Trump administration has been trying to get information about criminal activity of Temporary Protected Status Haitian immigrants in the U.S who came to the U.S. following the devastating earthquake in Haiti in 2010. http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/332480-us-looking-for-evidence-of-crimes-by-haitians-report Let's call United Stated Citizenship and Immigration Status (USCIS) and tell them to maintain protections for these Haitian immigrants: 1 (800) 375-5283 We can also call the Department of Homeland Security's comment line to let them know that USCIS Policy Chief Kathy Nuebel Kovarik's request for information on criminal activity of a specific ethnic group is unacceptable: 202-282-8495
- Even though Jeff Sessions recused himself from investigations related to Russia's involvement in the Trump campaign and the 2016 election, he still recommended that Trump fire FBI Director James Comey, who was heading up the investigation http://bit.ly/2py3wU3 This is not what recusal looks like. It is past time that Jeff Sessions resign as Attorney General. Let's call the Department of Justice and our own MoC to tell them we want the Attorney General's resignation. DOJ Comment Line: 202-353-1555 We can also sign CREDO Action's petition: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/sessions_resign
- Majority Leader McConnell still refuses to name a special prosecutor despite the recent firing of FBI director, Comey. McConnell dismissed Democratic calls for the Justice Department to appoint a special prosecutor. "Speaking on the Senate floor, McConnell said a new investigation would "only serve to impede" existing probes such as one under way in the Senate intelligence committee." http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-comey-replacement-idUSKBN1861HKLet's tell McConnell that we want an impartial investigation now. DEMAND SPECIAL INVESTIGATION Mitch McConnell's office numbers. 202-224-2541 (DC); 270-781-1673 (Bowling Green); 502-582-6304 (Louisville); 859-224-8286 (Lexington); 606-864-2026(London); 859-578-0188 (Fort Wright); 270-442-4554 (Paducah)
- In case we’ve not yet contacted the Dept. of Justice with our request for a bipartisan, independent investigation, now is a good time: https://www.justice.gov/doj/webform/your-message-department-justice
- The United State of Women has developed a program to help bring learning and skills-based training to cities across the country, to help women work towards equality for all. Let's register and learn how we can make a greater impact in our communities: https://www.theunitedstateofwomen.org/galvanize/
- The University of Michigan is hosting a free teach-out, "The Future of Obamacare: Repeal, Repair, or Replace?" on May 12 which will take an in-depth look at the ACA, its provisions, and the impact that different changes could have. http://bit.ly/2q36m5T Let's register and take advantage of this great learning opportunity: http://bit.ly/2qTng8h
3. The rights of trans Americans continue to be threatened by the Trump administration and Republican lawmakers across the country. (http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2017/0426/For-trans-children-and-their-families-a-time-of-growing-uncertainty) It's going to take a strong grassroots efforts to keep making progress towards the society we want. We can get involved in that fight by signing up to volunteer for the National Equality Action Team: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSez9LdIyPbx9pLuM4qhZ0U4MDckE-DGEYHpPDaFq_hEzujA6w/viewform.
- If you happen to live in NYC or will be spending Vacation time there this summer, here is a place you will want to visit, COUP, a bar in the East Village donates ALL PROFITS to causes that trump undermines including Planned Parenthood and ACLU. "Exactly what organizations will receive the money will depend partly on the rotating list of guest bartenders, who will work one of Coup’s two bars and pick a nonprofit to support. People like Natasha David of Nitecap, Giuseppe Gonzalez of Suffolk Arms, and Ivy Mix of Leyenda have already signed up. Visiting bartenders from out of town have also agreed to guest bartend." https://ny.eater.com/2017/4/6/15210452/coup-nyc-anti-trump-bar
Petitions to Sign
- Let’s join in MoveOn.org’s petition to Speaker of the House Ryan and the House of Representatives in asking for a bipartisan, independent investigation into the Trump administration: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/enough-is-enough-create
- 350.org, an international effort to raise awareness of the need to decrease carbon dioxide concentration in the atmosphere to 350 parts per million, has a petition for us to sign to let the world know that even if Trump does not agree, that we the people want our country to move ahead with the Paris Agreement: http://act.350.org/sign/paris-response?akid=s431581..XK84rS
- The Grand Canyon is among the national monuments being considered for mining. Let's add our names to this petition from Sum of Us: https://actions.sumofus.org/a/grand-canyon-uranium
- “The American Civil Liberties Union issued a “travel alert” today informing anyone planning to travel to Texas in the near future to anticipate the possible violation of their constitutional rights when stopped by law enforcement.” https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-issues-texas-travel-advisory
- “The U.S. Senate on Wednesday rejected a resolution to revoke an Obama-era rule to limit methane emissions from oil and gas production on federal lands, dealing a blow to President Donald Trump's efforts to free the drilling industry from what he sees as excessive environmental regulation.” We asked our senators to stand up for this and they did! http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-idUSKBN18620F
- “John Dean, a former White House counsel under former President Richard Nixon who was charged with obstruction of justice for his role in Watergate, said it's Trump – not Obama – whose behavior reminds him of the scandal that forced Nixon from office.” https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2017-03-21/nixon-counsel-during-watergate-says-trump-administration-showing-how-damn-guilty-they-are
- And, a bit of levity from one of our favorites! http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/watch-melissa-mccarthy-become-sean-spicer-in-snl-promo-w481757