Contact Federal Government Officials
1. Until now, in the last ten years only Burundi, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Kyrgyzstan and Nigeria have received “early warnings” by a UN committee regarding racist situations. Today, the United States was added to that list. “A UN committee charged with tackling racism has issued an “early warning” over conditions in the US and urged the Trump administration to “unequivocally and unconditionally” reject discrimination.” https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/23/charlottesville-un-committee-warns-us-over-rise-of-racism Let’s let our MoCs and the White House know that this is totally unacceptable and that they need to take all necessary steps to remove us from this early warning status.
2. One of the reasons that Trump’s evangelical team is sticking by him, and why he feels emboldened, is that they all have a strong belief in dominionism theology which seeks to form a nation based on Christian beliefs and principles. They firmly believe that God has chosen Trump to lead this change. We’ve been warned about this before: https://www.csindy.com/coloradosprings/bigots-racists-and-dominionist-christians-rejoice-in-trump-presidency/Content?oid=4318202 Even the Pope has spoken out against this and other fundamentalists: https://www.ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/vatican-speaks-out-against-fundamentalism-again Our MoCs need to know that we the people believe in an inclusive America that values diversity
3. Influential House Republicans like Rep. Jim Jordan are still threatening to create a global economic crisis by stopping Congress from raising the debt ceiling (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-18/house-conservatives-split-over-debt-ceiling-as-showdown-nears). Each day brings us closer and closer to the deadline and makes these games more and more dangerous. Let’s call our members of Congress and tell we want a clean hike of the debt ceiling as soon as possible. And let’s also tell them to support Senator Brian Schatz’s effort to eliminate the debt ceiling (http://thehill.com/policy/finance/345667-top-dem-seeks-to-abolish-debt-ceiling), so there’s never again a question over whether the United States will pay its bills. (And when we do, let’s tweet our support to Brian Schatz and tag it with #RogansHeroes!)
4. “Under DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), nearly 800,000 undocumented young people came out of the shadows at the invitation of the U.S. government to apply for work permits and temporary permission to stay in the country. Now the government is threatening to dismantle DACA, putting all these young people at risk of deportation from the only country they call home.” Let’s use this from the ACLU to support the 2017 Dream Act to protect these young people: https://action.aclu.org/secure/support-dream-act
5. From Postcards for America: “Black lawmakers are launching a “root out racism” campaign this week that they say is intended to hold the Trump administration accountable for its actions on race.” http://thehill.com/homenews/house/347448-black-lawmakers-launch-root-out-racism-campaign-vs-trump Let’s take a look at some of the pending legislation supported by the Black Caucus and start showing our support, too! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wLs5BRIFGjTDSuA6Ig2WrpZEPI-CczwItG7_Crw5uTo/edit
6. Riccy Perdomo, a young Kentucky mother of two, who has been protected as a Dreamer under DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), has been detained and is scheduled to be deported. When her family called ICE they were told that since Trump has been in office that DACA no longer exists. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/08/23/ice-detains-young-ohio-mother-who-has-legal-status/595355001/ In an updated story, her family cannot locate her as ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) will not disclose her location: http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/boone-county/family-says-they-cant-locate-nky-woman-detained-by-ice Let’s contact ICE on behalf of this young mom who has done nothing wrong. She needs to be reunited with her family here. https://www.ice.gov/contact
1. AZ: Concerned that the First Amendment rights of protesters were violated after Trump’s campaign rally on Aug 22 in Phoenix, the ACLU of Arizona is seeking evidence in the form of eyewitness testimony, video, and photos from those who were tear-gassed and pepper-sprayed by police. https://www.aclu.org/news/police-failed-protect-first-amendment-rights-protesters If we attended the protest and believe our civil liberties were violated or know someone whose were, let’s tell the ACLU by filing a complaint here: https://action.aclu.org/secure/az-complaint-form or submitting photos or video here: https://www.dropbox.com/request/7HexPhNnAwwDiMMe4S1O .
1. "At one point, Trump was interrupted by two protesters [during his Phoenix rally last evening], who were quickly led out of the arena by security, giving Trump's supporters something to videotape and share on Facebook or Snapchat. “Don't bother,” Trump said, as the crowd booed. “It's only a single voice. And not a very powerful voice.” I feel like the "don't bother, it's only a single voice" is our rallying cry. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/08/23/as-trump-ranted-and-rambled-in-phoenix-his-crowd-slowly-thinned/?utm_term=.56c77c6fbf86 Several of Trump’s claims were fact checked: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/aug/22/fact-checking-president-donald-trumps-campaign-ral/, but the two sentences about being a single voice and not being very powerful deserves our attention. Let’s let Trump know that we are much more than a single voice and that we ARE, indeed, powerful. https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact
2. .For those of us on Twitter (if you don’t have an account, this is the time to get on board), #TheResistance Tweetsheets produced these tweets in response to Trump’s Tuesday rally in Phoenix: https://resistancetweetsheets.wordpress.com/2017/08/23/racistinchief-holds-a-rally/
3. "On September 18 - 24, more than 42 cities are taking action for the Renter Week of Action & Assemblies to fight back against gentrification and housing systems that gouge our paychecks, segregate our neighborhoods, destroy our cultures and evict our families." Let's join Homes For All in fighting for the right to housing. We can find an event nearby, or if there isn't one yet, host one: http://bit.ly/2crhG64 Let's also be sure to check out the Action Toolkit to learn more about the specific goals of the Renter Week of Action, as well as learn how to coordinate a local day of action: http://bit.ly/2wmxJfu
4. The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) has created a handy how-to guide on writing a Letter to the Editor, specifically concerning Confederate monuments. We can use the map they provide to locate the nearest monument, then read through their sample letter to help us formulate our own letter http://bit.ly/2vIEPYP
5. This fall, there are elections up and down the ballot in the critical swing state of Virginia. With a strong turnout, we can hold the governorship and make progress in turning the state legislature blue (http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/vcu-poll-northam-holds--point-lead-over-gillespie-in/article_ff0209df-b860-5086-967e-3468fddd996c.html). Postcards for Virginia is organizing folks across the country to write personal postcards to voters in the state to make sure they get out to the polls. Let’s sign up to help here: https://www.postcards4va.com/.
6. Nice work to all in the resistance who stood up to the madness of the government seeking information on visitors to an anti-Trump website: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/22/donald-trump-protest-website-back-down-dreamhost-ip-address Let’s use this as motivation to keep speaking up!
7. Idaho State Rep Bryan Zollinger shared on social media an article suggesting that Charlottesville mighthave been a Democrat-arranged ruse aided by Obama: http://www.postregister.com/articles/news-daily-email-todays-headlines/2017/08/18/rep-shares-article-saying-charlottesville-was-# And then he doubled down on the claim: https://www.yahoo.com/news/idaho-republican-insists-apos-apos-150318534.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma Let’s let know Rep. Zollinger know what we think of this insidious form of conspiracy theory: https://legislature.idaho.gov/legislators/membership/2017/id4276/
8. From Postcards for America: Charities continue to cancel events at Mar-a-Lago: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/21/545090109/list-of-charities-shunning-trumps-mar-a-lago-resort-keeps-growing Let’s encourage some more to do the same: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h6Nqji_i8akAj6HhP3ifDnhtsdb3Z3JhHbOfmoJ5ec0/edit
9. “A prominent coalition of American rabbis has decided not to hold its annual conference call with the president to mark Jewish holidays, citing Donald Trump's remarks on the recent violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, as supporting "those who advocate anti-Semitism, racism and xenophobia."” http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/23/trump-rabbis-high-holy-days-telephone-call-241952 Let’s thank Rabbi Steven Fox of the Central Conference of American Rabbis which usually coordinates the call. We can contact him here: 355 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10017 or (212) 972-3636.
10. Propaganda watch: A new Harvard study has found that (1) coverage by center-right to left-leaning media followed traditional professional news practices—but right-wing media stuck to “partisan-disciplined messaging” and the attention it got skewed to the very far right, and (2) mainstream coverage amplified Trump’s agenda over Clinton’s, giving prominence especially to immigration. https://cyber.harvard.edu/publications/2017/08/mediacloud Let’s google-search contact information for our favorite newspaper or other news organization and do the following: 1) send them the link to the Harvard study, 2) tell them to report on the study’s findings, and 3) tell them that propaganda is major issue and we want them to cover it regularly.
1. Let’s stand with the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare in telling Congressional Republicans to keep their hands off Medicare: http://handsoffmedicare.org/
2. When Congress resumes after Labor Day, their first order of business needs to be actions to fight white supremacy. Let’s show we agree by signing this petition by the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund: http://democrats.pages.ontraport.net/cville
Marches/events/teleconferences to attend/organize
1. Today, Thursday, August 24th, the ACLU's Jeffrey Robinson will be hosting a livestream to discuss the history of the Confederacy and Confederate monuments in the United States. Let's sign up and tune in to help better inform ourselves against hateful rhetoric: http://bit.ly/2wnFtxz
2. On September 9th, 2017, StopETP, a growing coalition of communities and organizations that care deeply about our rights to clean water, clean air, a stable climate, and a democratic society, holding a national day of action. Let’s check here to learn more and to see where we can attend or how we can host a gathering: http://waterkeeper.org/new-nationwide-coalition-unites-to-stop-energy-transfer-partners/
1. The Washington Post has been tracking trump's lies and the number now exceeds 1,000. "At the president’s current pace, he averages nearly five claims a day. Many are repeats of claims that have been previously debunked." You can check out the full list here.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims-database/?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.ff7616bd6278 and read the story here. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/08/22/president-trumps-list-of-false-and-misleading-claims-tops-1000/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.9bb6d4861881
2. “Why Trump Can’t Quit the Alt-Right” - http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/taibbi-why-trump-cant-quit-the-alt-right-w498515
3. “We’ve Never Been Here Before” by Garrison Keillor - https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/weve-never-been-here-before/2017/08/22/1312e7fa-873c-11e7-a50f-e0d4e6ec070a_story.html?utm_term=.0b184f68b44d