If you receive Rogan’s List via email, you may have noticed that you’ve not been receiving updates regularly even though they have been being published. To address that problem, we have switched to a different email distribution service called SpecificFeeds.
Beginning soon, instead of coming from Susan Rogan, all Rogan’s List updates will come from “SpecificFeeds” and the subject will be “roganslist – new message”. It may go to your spam folder, so check there. They are not spam.
When you open the email, click on the text in the white box that reads “Rogan's List: Today's "To-do" List”. That will take you directly to the blog.
Thank you for your patience as we work through this.
Contact Federal Government Officials
- Historian Kevin M. Kruse tweeted yesterday that “If the GOP wants to make it clear it has absolutely nothing to do with white supremacists, it should restore the full Voting Rights Act.” Let’s look at what has happened to the VRA: http://www.yesmagazine.org/people-power/its-time-to-restore-and-strengthen-the-voting-rights-act-20170810 Let’s use this opportunity to tell our MoCs that restoring and strengthening the VRA is the right thing to do to stand on the right side of history.
- The Department of Health and Human Services has cut funding for the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program (TPPP), shortening grants from five years to three years long http://bit.ly/2vpUCNE This is especially concerning, as it marks a possible shift in focus under the management of Valerie Huber; a supporter of abstinence-only education. Let's contact HHS Secretary Tom Price, and ask that he reinstate full funding for the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program: 202-690-7000Secretary@HHS.gov U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W. Washington, D.C. 20201. We can also contact our MoCs and ask that they include funding for the TPPP in the 2018 appropriations bill.
- Every child deserves a family, and bigotry should not prevent a potential loving parent from giving them a good home. Members of Congress led by civil rights hero Rep. John Lewis have proposed legislation to prevent discrimination against LGBT Americans who want to foster and adopt children (http://thecolu.mn/26680/franken-mccollum-introduce-bill-bar-discrimination-adoption-foster-care). Let’s call our members of Congress and express our support for S.B. 1303 and H.R. 2640, the Every Child Deserves A Family Act.
- Representative Pramila Jayapal, along with 30 cosponsors, has introduced a resolution to remove individuals in the Trump administration and White House who have supported white supremacists http://bit.ly/2wPW22u http://bit.ly/2vYWLRv Let's contact our Representatives and ask that they cosponsor and support H.Con.Res. 77: "Condemning fear-mongering, racism, anti-Semitism, bigotry, and violence perpetrated by hate groups"
- Environmental justice is a civil rights issue, one that the EPA has a record of ignoring—and it’s only gotten worse under Trump. https://theintercept.com/2017/08/13/exxon-mobil-is-still-pumping-toxins-into-black-community-in-texas-17-years-after-civil-rights-complaint/ Predominantly minority or low-income communities suffer terrible health consequences because of the unequal application of environmental protection laws and regulations. Let’s contact our MoCs and ask them make environmental justice a priority of legislation and oversight, and let’s demand that EPA administrator Scott Pruitt ensure environmental justice for all communities in the US. 202-564-4700
- AR: "The fact that Arkansas is one of just a few states without a hate crime law is gaining a lot of attention. Representative Greg Leding of Fayetteville said he and another state senator began drafting legislation before the 2017 session, but the bill never left committee. Leding said we need to make it clear to not just people, but also businesses and industries that hate has no place in Arkansas." http://5newsonline.com/2017/08/15/arkansas-is-one-of-few-states-without-a-hate-crime-law/ Let's be sure Arkansas moves forward on this issue. Let's call and write the reps today to get that bill moving and tell them we are not tolerant of hate or hate crimes. Contacts: http://www.arkansashouse.org/member
- From one of our own: In the wake of the horrific and violent demonstration by white supremacists In Charlottesville, the issue of Open Carry has never been more important. Let’s check here to how we can help make changes: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0k1qCMVpKZpclhMejFYelB6ZU0
- Think Trump is bad? Well, he is, but he couldn't be where he is without the open support of racists in the Republican Party. For example, Steve King, a member of the United States House of Representatives from Iowa's 4th congressional district, is a notorious bigot and regularly makes statements in support of white supremacy. He's entirely unapologetic about it, too. Want to help the person running against him? One of Democratic candidates is J.D. Scholten, who is officially kicking off his run on August 25. Attend the launch event, or contribute to his campaign, here: https://www.facebook.com/events/716814078525621/.
- Many are concerned that there is a movement afoot for Trump to fire Mueller. Let’s click on TrumpIsNotAbovetheLaw.org for rapid response plan if that happens. Our organization can sign up to partner here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScKZIdjDkC_T0ca8l97E0mRSfLbKCpACy_ioIwaS7-dFOeqUw/viewform#response=ACYDBNiX3aAxn7VjynyXQhZCbl02nnZnFB8-_wAmaoZUkH-kHlGx7A__QuY5tz4
- The wave of voter suppression efforts is moving forward at the state level even faster than at the federal level (http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/states-push-new-voter-requirements-fueled-trump-n780611). We have to make sure we fight attacks on the right to vote wherever they come up. Let’s check the voting rights menu at this link to see if our state legislators are considering legislation that restricts voting, and if they are, let’s contact our state legislators and tell them we want them to oppose those drives: https://openstates.org/find_your_legislator/.
- Over 2500 companies have pulled their advertising from Breitbart http://bit.ly/2hbUgkX Let's keep up the effort and join Sleeping Giants in taking away ad dollars from the white supremacist news site. Per Sleeping Giants: "1. Go to Breitbart and take a screenshot of an ad next to some of their content. 2. Tweet the screenshot to the company with a polite, non-offensive note to notify them of the placement. 3. Tag @slpng_giants so we can keep track of the progress." We can also follow Sleeping Giants on Twitter (@slpng_giants) and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/slpnggiants/
- Thanks to Chop Wood, Carry Water: Go to Shaun King's new Woke Folks Facebook page and follow it. He's doing important racial justice work and needs our help. For today let's do an action he's recommended for one of the activists savagely attacked by white supremacists this weekend: Contact the Attorney General of Virginia, Mark Herring. Demand that he prosecute the five white supremacists who brutally attacked Deandre Harris. PHONE: (804) 786-2071 email: firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com (Michael Kelly, Director of Communications)
- Tyler Magill, the University of Virginia library staff member who was beaten by white supremacists in Charlottesville last weekend has suffered a stroke. http://www.chronicle.com/article/uva-employee-suffers-a-stroke/240942 A family friend has started a GoFundMe account to help lessen his current financial burden. Let’s help if we can: https://www.gofundme.com/tylers-stroke-of-genius
- With so many students heading off to college soon, the events of the past weekend are undoubtedly on their minds and their parents’, too. Let’s pass along this advice to students and their families: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0k1qCMVpKZpRzFwT0N1QVJhNW8
- Many of us are looking for suggestions on what to read to help us understand race issues better. Let’s take a look at this list and get reading! https://www.bustle.com/p/17-books-on-race-every-white-person-needs-to-read-76401 While we are at it, here’s a book list for kids to share with families, friends, and teachers: http://www.readbrightly.com/books-to-help-kids-understand-the-fight-for-racial-equality/
- Hate speech from any governmental official is Let’s sign this petition to the Governor of Michigan to denounce the hate speech by the Kalkaska, MI village president: https://www.change.org/p/michigan-governor-denounce-kalkaska-village-president-jeff-sieting-s-hate-speech-9c287c70-a5fb-477d-9240-e25e9e0e1836
- Here is a White House petition calling for the White House to not censor the leaked government report detailing the devastating impacts of climate change: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/publish-climate-science-report-without-political-interference-and-censorship
- Let’s help get Merriam Webster change the definition of racism to reflect that it is a system of power, not just bigotry. http://bit.ly/2u8hLFt
Marches/events to attend/organize
- “The Drive for Our Lives bus is hitting the road for the August Congressional recess. Join us in the critical fight to protect every American’s access to quality, affordable health care” We can an event near us here: https://www.savemycare.org/tourevents/ And we can stay tuned with updates from the “Drive for Our Lives” bus tour by following @SaveMyCare.
- On September 9, ACT for America, is holding a series of protests in cities across the country. The Center for New Community and Muslim Advocates is sharing a coalition letter to Mayors of cities where the protests have been confirmed urging them to condemn this hate and speak up for inclusion in their cities. You can review and sign the letter here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdxSz8Mz2FG1I2a5ZhfXQHbaIghosZ9tKffl9-OrF1UVDoDJQ/viewform
- Good news: Texas bathroom bill died in House committee: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-lgbt-idUSKCN1AW038
- Worth checking out: David Swanson, director of WorldWithoutWar.org, alerts us to the “top ten misconceptions” about Charlottesville: http://davidswanson.org/top-10-misconceptions-about-charlottesville/
- Jared Kushner’s grandmothers’ touching immigration story: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/31/jared-kushner-grandmother-refugee-holocaust