If you receive Rogan’s List via email, you may have noticed that you’ve not been receiving updates regularly. To address that, problem, we are now using a different email service called SpecificFeeds and that is whom the email will now be from. When you open the email, click on the text in the white box that reads “Rogan's List: Today's "To-do" List”. That will take you directly to the blog. Thank you for your patience as we work through this.
Contact Federal Government Officials
- Yesterday, it took Trump only an hour to write a negative tweet about Merck CEO Kenneth Frazier resignation from Trump's American Manufacturing Council following Trump’s insufficient remarks following the Charlottesville tragedy. It took three days for Trump to make a more-appropriate statement regarding the weekend melee. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/14/white-house-defends-trump-charlottesville-241604 Regardless of Trumps words, until he fires Steve Bannon, Sebastian Gorka, and Stephen Miller from the White House, his words are meaningless. Let’s continue to call the White House and our MoCs asking for their resignation. White House: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact
- Despite Trump’s more appropriate remarks yesterday, he also indicated that he was seriously considering pardoning Joe Arpaio who was found in contempt of court for racial profiling, calling Arpaio “a great American patriot”. http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-pardoning-sheriff-joe-arpaio/story?id=49210963 In pardoning Arpaio, Trump gives the signal that racial profiling is acceptable. Let’s contact the White House and ask how he justify saying that racism is evil and then pardon someone for racial profiling. White House: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact
- “…the Department of Justice and the FBI have opened a joint federal civil rights hate crime investigation. They will not only look at suspect James Alex Fields Jr. who is blamed for killing Heather Heyer, 32, and injuring numerous others, but also anyone else who may have been involved in planning the attack.” http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/08/13/feds-launch-civil-rights-investigation-into-charlottesville-violence/. This will be a real test for Sessions and the DOJ as Sessions has been accused for years of being racist himself. Let’s contact Sessions and tell him we are watching him and expect him to be objective: https://www.justice.gov/contact-us
- American citizens are being forced to hand over their phone and laptop passwords to security officials when they try to enter the United States (https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/04/the-steady-rise-of-digital-border-searches/522723/). We need to say enough is enough. A bipartisan group of members of Congress has proposed the Protect Data at the Border Act (S.823/H.R.1899) to prohibit these practices and ensure our digital devices are legally protected from unlawful search. Let’s see if our senators and representatives are on board, and if not contact them to ask them to support this bill.
- National Security Advisor, H.R. McMaster, said on Sunday that the Charlottesvills crash was terrorism. http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/346394-mcmaster-calls-charlottesville-attack-terror Let’s thank him for speaking up and calling it what it was. Contact McMaster via the White House: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact
- The violent white supremacist rally and march in Charlottesville occurred in part as a protest against the removal of a statue of confederate Robert E. Lee http://bit.ly/2uDkjaJ http://nyti.ms/2uzNFL5 It's past time for these symbols of bigotry and white supremacy to be removed. Let's contact our MoC to let them know that we support national efforts to remove Confederate monuments
- The Indivisible Guide has a new resource available to help us make sure our MoC are doing enough in response to the events in Charlottesville. Action items include asking Trump to denounce white supremacy, asking MoC to maintain funding to fight white nationalism, defunding anti-immigrant proposals, and protecting immigrants from deportation. Let's read through this resource, then use the action items to hold our MoC accountable: http://bit.ly/2vx9Hgn
- If you’re deported to Mexico, the US takes your personal belongings, and under an agreement with Mexico, is supposed to return them to you once you’ve crossed the border. But each year, around 120,000 people are deported to Mexico without having their cash, IDs, and cell phones returned to them. Without these items, these people are at greater risk of harassment, extortion, kidnapping, and sexual assault. https://www.themarshallproject.org/2017/08/08/when-the-u-s-deports-you-and-keeps-all-your-stuff#.2ys7vItOR Let’s contact our MoCs and ask them what they are doing to ensure that the US meets its obligations under its agreement with Mexico, and let’s tell Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Elaine Duke that the failure of the US to protect these people is unacceptable and we expect them to receive the personal belongings that are rightfully theirs. https://www.dhs.gov/contact-us
- CA: Representative Lou Correa (D-CA46) is displaying a painting from a local student that depicts Lady Liberty wearing a hijab. Conservative groups have protested the painting and want him to remove it. Correa said "that he had run the art past the Office of the Legislative Counsel and no legal issues exist with displaying the art. He said he would not remove the art, which is hanging as part of a contest among local student artists. “You take it in the context of a lady, probably a Muslim American — with all that’s going on, she’s a proud American,” Correa said. “That’s what it says to me.” http://thehill.com/homenews/house/345567-immigration-enforcement-group-demands-lawmaker-remove-painting-of-statue-of Let's let Representative Correa know that he has plenty of supporters: Lou Correa, 2323 N Broadway Ste 319, Santa Ana CA 92706
- Let's thank Airbnb for canceling the accounts of neo-Nazis who tried to use their site to book housing reservations/organize for yesterday's protest in Charlottesville, VA. http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2017/08/airbnb_s_ban_of_nazis_in_charlottesville_sets_an_important_standard_for.html. Let's also call on other tech companies to follow their example! We can start by following/supporting Sleeping Giants on Twitter or Facebook (@slpnggiants), an organization that has been doing good work "trying to stop racist and sexist ad media by stopping its ad dollars."
- Following the Charlottesville tragedy, the white supremacist website, Daily Stormer, posted a despicable article about the crash victim which portrayed their view of women: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0k1qCMVpKZpZ2xwNzg5U0pxVUk/view Amy Siskind, who keeps the weekly list of changes, called for GoDaddy to stop hosting the:website. So many citizens called and GoDaddy dropped the website: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/14/543360434/white-supremacist-site-is-banned-by-go-daddy-after-virginia-rally Let’s remember the power in our numbers and continue to speak out
- Yesterday, Daily Stormer found a new home after being registered by Google. Within hours, Google said that they, too, would ban the site: http://thehill.com/policy/technology/346505-google-to-ban-white-supremacist-site-that-was-forced-out-by-godaddy Let’s thank Google for doing the right thing and for doing it so quickly! 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043,
- From one of our own: "The shutdown of financial services has cramped Anglin, who has said the Daily Stormer might shut down if he loses his lawsuit against the Southern Poverty Law Center." http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-alt-right-money-20170811-story.html Funny, I just happen to have a link for donating online to Southern Poverty Law Center right here: https://donate.splcenter.org.
- Democratic state attorneys general are playing a leading role in the Resistance against Trump, and they’re going to be targeted at the ballot box for it. This fall, Mark Herring, the Virginia attorney general who has sued Trump to protect the Clean Power Plan and oppose the Muslim ban, is facing a well-funded challenge from a corporate defense lawyer (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-politics-attorneys-general-idUSKBN1AG17K). We can have his back and help him get his voters out to the polls by texting. Let’s sign up to text for the Herring campaign at this link: https://wevolunteer.openprogress.com/Groups/Info/17.
- Following Trump's grossly insufficient response to the white supremacist march and rally in Charlottesville, Merck CEO and Kenneth Frazier has resigned from Trump's American Manufacturing Council http://bit.ly/2uCGGB8 Let's thank Frazier for standing up against hatred and bigotry: https://twitter.com/Merck email@example.com 2000 Galloping Hill Rd. Kenilworth, NJ 07033
- Likewise, saying “"Our country's strength stems from its diversity and the contributions made by men and women of different faiths, races, sexual orientations and political beliefs," Kevin Plank, CEO of Under Armour also resigned from Trump’s American Manufacturing Council. http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/346563-under-armour-ceo-resigns-from-trumps-manufacturing-council Let’s thank Plank, too: http://investor.underarmour.com/company/contacts.cfm
- Team Internet, a group of volunteers from Battle for the Net (https://www.battleforthenet.com/teaminternet/ ) is looking for more volunteers to call and check in on net neutrality activists, to offer support and follow up on local events. We can sign up to become a Team Internet Call Team member and join the effort to maintain Title II Net Neutrality https://act.demandprogress.org/sign/sign-up-call-team-internet/
- "The Illinois Senate on Sunday approved a resolution calling for police to categorize neo-Nazi groups as terrorist organizations, according to the Chicago Tribune. The measure came as a response to Saturday's violence at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., during which one person died and scores more were injured. “It is vital that we stand in total opposition to the hatred, bigotry and violence displayed by the white nationalist and neo-Nazi groups in Charlottesville this past weekend,” said state Sen. Don Harmon (D), who sponsored the measure." Let's thanks Sen. Don Harmon for sponsoring this important bill against hate. http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/346436-illinois-senate-calls-for-neo-nazis-to-be-classified-as-terror Contacts info.: district office at 6941-B W. North Avenue, Oak Park, IL 60302 or Senator Harmon, 39th district, 329B Capital Building, Springfield, Illinois 62706 Then, let's contact our own state senators to tell them to follow Illinois' lead and introduce a bill to call out domestic terror organizations. Find my legislator: https://openstates.org/find_your_legislator/
- Sinclair Broadcasting will reach 72% of American households after their expansion with the Tribune Media with a little help from the FCC. Sinclair is known for providing right-leaning must-play stories to local news stations. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/06/trump-fcc-sinclair-broadcast-expansion-241337 Sinclair hopes to use this propaganda to move views to the right. We cannot stop their broadcasts from happening. We CAN become aware of which of news stations will be affected. Our power comes from changing the channel. Yes, we know we like the local newscasters and their familiarity. This is a price we must pay in these times. Let's make new TV friends. PBS is always a good option. We can also target advertisers for specific Sinclair programming. Let's check the Sinclair site to find out which of our local stations has been compromised prior to the expansion: http://sbgi.net/tv-stations/. and here are the Tribune Media brands they will be adding: http://www.tribunemedia.com/our-brands/
- Life After Hate, https://www.lifeafterhate.org/ , a nonprofit organization founded by ex-Nazis/white supremacists, helps members of America’s violent right-wing extremist groups to leave that life. Life After Hate was selected by the Obama administration to receive $400,000 grant from the Department of Homeland Security’s “Countering Violent Extremism” program. The organization planned to use the money to increase the direct services it offers to individuals, and to implement a social media campaign to counter the rising numbers of people who are radicalized online. In June, without explanation, the Trump administration withdrew Life After Hate’s grant award. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/23/playbook-dhs-extremism-life-after-hate-239889 Life After Hate is trying to make up the shortfall with a crowdfunding campaign. Let’s help by (1) liking and promoting their Facebook page, and, if we can, by (2) donating and asking our friends to consider donating as well. https://publicgood.com/org/life-after-hate-inc/campaign/help-life-after-hate-fight-on
- Let’s join Color of Change in seeking that all Confederate Monuments be removed from public places. The only places Confederate memorabilia should be is in museums that teach us about the past. https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/remove-all-confederate-symbols-america/
- While we are at it, let’s sign Credo’s petition on the same topic: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/Take_Down
Marches/events to attend/organize
- “On Monday, August 28th, 2017, one thousand ministers of all denominations will convene in Washington, D.C. to reaffirm their commitment to the social justice movement and stand in solidarity with the spirit and legacy of Dr. King. Clergy will hold the Trump Administration and Attorney General Jeff Sessions accountable in the wake of an increase in hate crimes, mass incarceration, and discrimination just to name a few.” For more information on the Ministers March For Justice (For All Religious Leaders From All Faiths): http://nationalactionnetwork.net/ministers-march-for-justice/
- October 27 - 29, 2017, the Women’s March is sponsoring the first Women’s Convention. For more information, let’s check here: http://www.womensconvention.com/
- “A Reformed White Nationalist Speaks Out on Charlottesville”; http://www.npr.org/2017/08/13/543259499/a-reformed-white-nationalist-speaks-out-on-charlottesville?sc=17&f=1001
- “Ten Ways to Fight Hate: A Community Response Guide”: https://www.splcenter.org/20170814/ten-ways-fight-hate-community-response-guide
- Another example of far-right disruption: https://www.lcv.org/article/lcv-targeted-right-wing-operatives-using-fake-identities/