Contact Federal Government Officials
1. Breaking reports last say Trumps is getting serious about ending the DACA program: https://www.axios.com/trump-seriously-considering-ending-daca-2476724345.html Let’s let our MoCs know we don’t agree with this. Let’s also take part in these other actions from Action Together Network: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0k1qCMVpKZpNW9DN1BZR2pUT0E
2. On August 18, two (2) freshmen representatives, Adriano Espaillat (D-NY13) and Dwight Evans (D-PA2) introduced HR3660, the No Federal Funding for Confederate Symbols Act. In this piece in the Hill, they explain their reasoning: http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/347887-remove-confederate-symbols-from-their-place-of-reverence-on Thirty-four (34) Democratic representatives have already signed on as co-sponsors. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr3660/details Let's ask our own representatives to support HR3660 if they have not already. We can thank the bill's sponsors at: 1) Adriano Espaillat, 163 W 25th St, New York NY 10027. 2) Dwight Evans, 7174 Ogontz Ave, Philadelphia PA 19138.
3. The Florida panther needs our help. We have until Tuesday, August 29 to submit public comments to the US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) regarding their determination on whether or not to remove the Florida panther from the Endangered Species Act. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/editorials/fl-op-editorial-florida-panther-protections-20170822-story.html We can send our emails of support for the Florida panther and maintaining its endangered status to: David Shindle at the FWS at email@example.com. (We are out of time to send letters.)
4. Trump is threatening to shut down the government if Congress does not fund his wall. http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/347737-trump-not-backing-down-on-shutdown-threat-over-border-wall Let’s tell our MoCs to stand up to him and make it clear that he can't extort his way to a wall that the majority of Americans don't want.
5. “Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke recommended Thursday that President Trump alter at least three national monuments established by his immediate predecessors, including two in Utah, a move expected to reshape federal land and water protections and certain to trigger major legal fights.” https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/08/24/interior-secretary-recommends-trump-alter-a-handful-of-national-monuments-but-declines-to-reveal-which-ones/?utm_term=.776d1607c1a0 Now, let’s make sure our legislators know that Trump's attack on our wild spaces to help the fossil fuel industry is unacceptable and must be stopped.
1. UT: Candidate Kathie Allen (D) for Utah's 3rd congressional district has announced that she will not be accepting corporate donations. Deseret News article. Let's consider rewarding Kathie Allen for her bold, correct decision by contributing a small amount to her campaign. Her success at crowd-funding may help other candidates choose this model for funding their campaigns.
1. A new app for iPhone and Android users is make it even easier for dangerous people to get their hands on guns. TacSwipe, aka “Tinder for Guns,” is designed to let people buy and sell guns and gun accessories to strangers in their area – no questions asked (http://www.nibletz.com/usa/texas/dallas/tacswipe). The app provides no information for getting background checks, leaving it up to buyers and sellers to do the right thing, and of course does not prevent people under 18 from downloading despite the fact that in most areas you must be 18 to buy a gun. Let’s join the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence in asking Apple and Android to reject this app: https://secure.everyaction.com/UDaIc8I_NE61-c_Bg02hNQ2?emci=496ef63b-af82-e711-80c2-000d3a1049cf&emdi=ab33226e-af82-e711-80c2-000d3a1049cf&fn.
2. MoveOn.org is taking a leadership role in organizing the Resistance, and they’re using the latest field tactics to do it. They’ve launched a volunteer texting team to make sure they reach out to as many of their members as possible when it’s time to take action. Those of us who are interested can learn more and become part of the team here: https://front.moveon.org/training/#.WYvQFlGGPIW.
3. From Postcards from Kate: Evette Dionne writes the Our History series at Teen Vogue, exposing difficult but critical stories of history to the light, allowing us to reckon with them in real time. Read her recent illuminating piece on suffrage and civil rights, and then send her a card encouraging her work. Also, if you don't already subscribe, now's as good a time as any: Address: Evette Dionne, Teen Vogue, 1 World Trade Center, 29th Floor, New York, NY 10007
4. This weekend is our last chance to get our National Park senior passes for $10. Starting Monday, the price goes up to $80. If we are not near a national park, we can order a senior pass for an additional $10 fee. More info can be found here: https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/senior-pass-changes.htm
5. America Magazine has a survey concerning out thoughts on removing Confederate statues from public places. We can participate here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/americamagazinestatues
6. From Chop Wood, Carry Water: Let's all write a quick note to Amazon's PR department and ask why their company is still advertising on Alt-right, Nazi-loving, Steve Bannon-run Breitbart. Remind them that 2600 other companies have taken a stand against hate and tell them that, PR-wise, fascism is NOT a good look for them. Email here: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: (206) 266-1000 or mail: 410 Terry Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109
7. “The goal of the ad isn't to boost sales or drum up excitement on a new product launch, but to highlight the need to protect America's public lands. Patagonia's first, and perhaps last, advertisement taps into one of Patagonia's core values of protecting and preserving our lands.” https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2017/08/24/44-years-patagonia-released-first-commercial-clothing/#4d7b33c43c80 Let’s watch the ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCVNk0H9Erc&feature=youtu.be, then let’s thank Patagonia: http://www.patagonia.com/customer-service.html
1. When Congress resumes next week, they will be facing the confirmation hearing for Sam Clovis -- a racist, homophobic, anti-science radio talk show host -- to be the USDA’s Chief Scientist. http://blog.ucsusa.org/karen-perry-stillerman/is-sam-clovis-a-scientist-a-racist-9-questions-the-senate-should-ask Let’s sign this petition from Friends of the Earth telling our senators to reject him: http://action.foe.org/p/dia/action4/common/public/index.sjs?action_KEY=22285
2. Let’s join Human Rights Watch in telling Trump to stop emboldening white supremacists: https://goo.gl/fzTMsE
Marches/events/teleconferences to attend/organize
1. Let’s join RISE Stronger on Wednesday, August 30 from 7-8pm EDT for a webinar discussing how to build a roster of progressive democratic candidates for 2017 and beyond. RSVP here.
2. Those of us who want to up our resistance skill set may want to consider attending a convention being held by the Women's March folks this October. Participants will leave inspired and motivated, with new connections, skills and strategies for working towards collective liberation for women of all races, ethnicities, ages, disabilities, sexual identities, gender expressions, immigration statuses, religious faiths, and economic statuses." Register here: http://www.womensconvention.com/. (While tickets are not cheap, there is a Scholarship fund we can apply to if necessary.)
1. “What Trump Has Undone” - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/08/24/what-trump-has-undone/?utm_term=.df6486bdefb0
2. This week’s United States of Resistance: http://us16.campaign-archive1.com/?e=b1c76e5791&u=953a8f18603fd20ee5e2bec0a&id=0af561d9f8
3. And, as usual, our weekly dose of Small Victories by Peace is Loud: https://peoplepower.org/freedom-cities.html#toc-whatis