Contact Federal Government Officials
1. Russian manipulation of the American electorate didn’t end after the 2016 election. “The same social media networks that spread Russian propaganda during the 2016 election have been busily amplifying right-wing extremism surrounding the recent violence in Charlottesville, according to researchers who monitor the activity.” https://www.propublica.org/article/pro-russian-bots-take-up-the-right-wing-cause-after-charlottesville Let’s tell our MoCs that this ongoing dynamic threatens our national security and ask them what they plan to do about it.
2. Trump’s Department of Labor is attempting to roll back Obama-era protections meant to help more than 13 million people get the overtime pay they deserve (http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/27/534597018/labor-department-rethinking-obama-era-overtime-pay-rule). But they’re going to need to write a whole new rule to do it, and that means they have to listen to us now. Their changes are open for public comment until September 25th. Let’s join Rise Stronger and tell them to preserve the rule the final rule. You can submit your comments at this link: https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=WHD-2017-0002.
3. Congress is considering legislation that would roll back common sense protections for the water we drink and the air we breathe and that keep our workplaces and our children safe (http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2017/03/the-coming-gop-assault-on-regulations-000351). Let’s join our friend and ally Jennifer Hofmann and tell our senators to oppose the Regulatory Accountability Act (S.951) and do whatever they can to prevent it from moving forward.
4. Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) has called on the president to withdraw his nomination for non-scientist and known-hater Sam Clovis for USDA chief scientist . http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/347625-schumer-trump-must-withdraw-usda-nominee-to-show-he-doesnt-tolerate-hate We know it is unlikely that the president will listen to Schumer or to us. Let's double-down on telling our own Senators to oppose Clovis. If we've already told them, let's tell them again.
5. Trump's ban on transgender service members is moving forward http://bit.ly/2wGTV3D It looks like Defense Secretary James Mattis will be using his discretion when deciding who to remove from the military. Let's contact Secretary of Defense Mattis, asking that he keep in mind that our transgender service members are perfectly able and willing to serve, and that they should not be removed under the guise of "ability to deploy." We can call the Department of Defense 703-571-3343 or mail Secretary Mattis directly: Secretary of Defense, 1000 Defense Pentagon Washington, DC 20301-1000 We can also contact Senator McCain, Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, asking that he include language in the National Defense Authorization Act to protect our transgender troops: (202) 224-2235
6. Interior Secretary Zinke has recommended to Trump that some of the national monuments which were up for review have their boundaries adjusted
http://reut.rs/2wsiv8A While Zinke will not recommend removing any national monument designations, shrinking the boundaries of the monuments could have a significant environmental impact. The Natural Resources Defense Council has a form letter that we can edit and send to our senators, asking that they protect our national monuments https://act.nrdc.org/letter/national-monuments-170822
7. As we near the deadline for the 2018 federal budget, let's make sure we're reminding our Senators that we do not want to see any funding for a border wall within the spending bill. We can read more talking points, and find a call script at 5Calls https://5calls.org/issue/reciCwWHIj652UIe1
1. ME. "U.S. Senator Susan Collins says she will decide sometime in September whether to run for Governor. A number of Republicans have been urging Collins to enter the race for the Blaine House, though she says it is a very difficult decision. When I was in Ellsworth last night,"she said, “I had scores of people saying we really need you in the Senate, your voice is important for Maine and nationally. On the other hand, I have people come up to me every day saying we need strong leadership in Augusta, someone who can work with democrats and Republicans." Many of her Maine constituents don't want senator Collins to run because they don't want Gov. LePage to appoint a trump supporter. Senator Collins is one of the republicans who voted against repeal and replace. http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/collins-still-weighing-decision-stay-in-senate-or-run-for-governor/466829359 Encourage your friends and family in Maine to ask Senator Collins to stay in the Senate.
2. NC: The NC state House of Representatives has already approved legislation, House Bill 330, that aims to give civil and criminal immunity to motorists who unintentionally hit people in the middle of the street. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article167100452.html Let's contact our state senators to tell them that we want them to reject HB330 in the North Carolina senate. Find my legislator: https://openstates.org/find_your_legislator/
3. MI: Sen. Debbie Stabenow has an 83% ranking on her votes on environmental issues as noted by the advocacy group Clean Water Action: http://www.cleanwateraction.org/senator-debbie-stabenow-d-mi-environmental-vote-tracker Apparently, she is considering voting for a bill that would lead to more fracking in Michigan. Let’s tell her we don’t want more fracking in Michigan or anywhere else: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/breaking-debbie-stabenow-is-considering-voting-to-expand-fracking-lets-stop-that
1. Vanessa Otero has released the second edition of her now-famous media bias graphic. In this article, which includes the graphic, she explains her analysis and helps us all think about the news media more carefully. http://www.allgeneralizationsarefalse.com/the-chart-second-edition/ Let’s use this graphic and refer to it as we consume and share news. Let’s do our best to stay in the upper circle and upper oval and not use anything below the horizontal dotted line.
2. Need some mental sustenance for continued resistance efforts? Why not join PEN America's monthly "Read the Resistance" book club? PEN, an international literary organization that advocates for authors' freedom of speech all over the world, is featuring a selected "written work of and about resistance" each month. This month's selection is Timothy Snyder's _On Tyranny_. PEN offers a brief description of the book and potential discussion questions, and hosts a live webchat for those who wish to participate. Let's check it out! https://pen.org/read-resistance-august-2017-tyranny/
3. Professor Daniel Kammen of Stanford tweeted out his letter of resignation to Trump as Science Envoy to the Department of State and it is a powerful letter: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/08/23/resignation-letter-sent-to-president-trump-spells-out-impeach/593943001/ It is of note that just as the starting letters of the paragraphs in the Arts Council resignation letter spelled RESIST, those in Kammen’s letter spell IMPEACH. Let’s take a moment to say thanks. https://gspp.berkeley.edu/directories/faculty/daniel-kammen
4. Here are two good files to tuck away. From Postcards from America – 1) 1address labels (3 across/10 down) for all senators: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0k1qCMVpKZpdDNDcFl4bExBVVk and 2) address labels for all representatives: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0k1qCMVpKZpY3dwRHk3azVMR1U These work well with Avery 8660 labels. Let’s save these files to our device and use as needed.
5. We can send postcards of support to young people in Charlottesville VA to let them know that the hate they saw is not who we are as Americans.
https://www.facebook.com/Dearyoungperson-1444018689025308/ Write to: #dearyoungperson, PO Box 814, Charlottesville VA 22902. Let's send our positive energy to Charlottesville.
6. With a president who has suggested the minimum wage should be even lower, the chances of progress on this issue in D.C. are poor over the next few years. So the Fight for $15 is focusing on making progress in the states, where we can replace a wave of Republican governors who have been helping corporations and billionaires instead of workers (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/business/economy/seiu-labor-midwest-politics.html). They’re launching their effort with events across the country on Labor Day. We can sign up to get details on actions near us at this link: http://fightfor15.org/s-petition/national-labor-day-2017-petition.
7. UPDATE: Donations to the organization Life After Hate have skyrocketed since the events in Charlottesville, and the organization is now 75% of the way toward reaching its goal of $400,000. LAH fights hate, violence, and extremism by helping people to leave hate groups. LAH was planning to use a $400,000 grant from the Obama administration to counteract online recruitment to hate groups and to scale-up its intervention services. The Trump administration rescinded the grant in June. Since then, LAH has been trying to raise the $400,000 through a crowdfunding campaign. Let’s bring this campaign to the finish line! Let’s give what we can at https://www.lifeafterhate.org/ and urge our friends and neighbors to give, too.
1. Let’s join the Working Families Party in asking Congress to censure Trump due to racism: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/tell-congress-censure-trump-for-refusing-to-hold-white-supremacists-to-account-2
2. Tax March and at least 25 other organizations are asking us to join with them in telling Congress: “Not one penny in tax cuts for millionaires, billionaires and wealthy corporations.” Let’s sign: https://notonepenny.org/
Marches/events/teleconferences to attend/organize
1. Saturday, August 26 in San Francisco there will be several events during the day to counter the Patriot Prayer Freedom Rally at Crissy Field. For more information, check here: http://www.sfgate.com/music/article/Concert-arts-rally-planned-to-counter-Crissy-11950736.php and here: https://www.facebook.com/events/266804640483421
1. Here’s a clever apology to Trump from the “fake news” - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/huppke/ct-trump-rally-media-huppke-20170823-story.html
2. “Telling the True Stories” - http://www.dirtysexyministry.com/2017/08/telling-true-stories.html
3. “The Republican Establishment Stands Behind Trump” - https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/08/gop-responding-to-trumps-response/537696/