Contact Federal Government Officials
- Steve Bannon (source) may be gone, but he, Sebastian Gorka (source), and Stephen Miller (source) all have histories of extremist ideologies, and should not be working in the White House. Our taxpayer dollars are paying their salaries, and it’s unacceptable. Let’s call our members of Congress and demand that that they call for their resignations. And let’s also ask that they treat these men like any other advocate for bigotry who wanted their time – not accepting their calls, not going to any meeting which they attend, not dealing with them at all.
- The Director of the United States Census Bureau position has still not been filled since former director John Thompson resigned back in May http://n.pr/2q5Qpub Meanwhile, funding for the 2020 Census in both the Senate and House 2018 appropriations bills is insufficient http://bit.ly/2vfUPTO This is especially a concern, as the census guides allocation of funds, as well as redistricting efforts (ensuring each vote gets counted and each voter is fairly represented). Let's call our MoC and emphasize the importance of a fully-funded census in H.R. 3267 and S. 1662. 5Calls has more information, a call script, and phone numbers we can use to specifically address the issue of funding, but let's make sure we're also asking that our MoC bring attention to the need for a qualified individual to fill the position for Director of the U.S. Census Bureau https://5calls.org/issue/recDcn4wSNH9gBaBR
- From RISE Stronger: The Department of Labor is asking for information on the impact of its 2016 overtime rule, which would increase postdoc salaries, among other benefits. You can read more about the rule here and submit your comments at Regulations.gov before September 25.
- From RISE Stronger: The FCC has extended its deadline for public comments on its move to eliminate net neutrality rules. Learn more here, and submit comments directly here. Comments must be submitted by August 30.
- "Maine Gov. Paul LePage (R) on Thursday defended President Trump's claim that "both sides" were responsible for the violence that erupted at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., over the weekend, comparing Confederate memorials to those put up to honor the victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks. " Let's remind the Gov that the memorials to 9/11 victims commemorates an attack on all Americans and our freedoms. The confederate memorials commemorate an attack on the United States by its own people trying to preserve slavery and demoralize Black Americans." http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/346950-lepage-removing-confederate-statues-is-like-taking-down-9-11 CONTACT: Office of the Governor, #1 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0001 or Phone 207-287-3531. Toll-free: 1-855-721-5203 or TTY: Maine relay 711 (for Deaf and hard of hearing)
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) has withdrawn her support for the Israel Anti-Boycott Act (S720), saying she can't support it in its current form because it "chills free speech." The bill is opposed by the ACLU. (http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20170731/POLITICS/170739978/gillibrand-at-rare-town-hall-vows-to-reconsider-israel-boycott-bill) Let's check to see if our own Senators still support this bill as it is and ask them to join Senator Gillibrand in withdrawing their support if they are. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/s720/details We can thank Senator Gillibrand for her willingness to acknowledge the issues with this bill: Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, 478 Russell SOB, Washington DC 20510.
- NC & VA: From the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC): The Atlantic Coast Pipeline could increase electricity rates in order to transport natural gas that we don’t even need, while threatening drinking water, forests, waterways, wetlands, fisheries, and endangered species in three states. Yeah, it’s that bad. Tell state regulators to kill it. NC: North Carolina, take action: http://on.nrdc.org/2v5CYvl VA: Virginia, take action here: http://on.nrdc.org/2v5wcFR
- MO: State senator Maria Chappell Nadal (D-MO14) wrote that she "hopes Trump is assassinated" on her Facebook page. She has since withdrawn the comment and said it was wrong. The Secret Service is investigating. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40973209 Nadal has said she will not resign for making this mistake. However, we need to stop this kind of rhetoric in its tracks no matter who says it. If we are among Nadal's constituents, let's call for her resignation email: Maria.ChappelleNadal@senate.mo.gov, write: Maria Chappell Nadal, 201 W Capitol Ave Rm 428, Jefferson City MO 65101. Call: 573-751-4106
- It has been a long nine months since the election. We’ve worked hard and have enjoyed some successes. We are also learning that we need to take care of ourselves for the long haul. A number of resistance groups are sponsoring a Burnout and Sustainability Training for activists. This online training is scheduled for Saturday August 26th at 6p ET. It will be presented by Aditi Juneja, co-creator of Resistance Manual, OurStates.org, and host of the Self Care Sundays podcast. Here is a link to the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1091424407656160/ and here is a link to the registration form: http://bit.ly/2wyWt16. Let’s do this!
- Teacher of high school or college students? Or just a concerned American trying to make sense of the hate on display in Charlottesville this past weekend? The Modern Languages Association (the largest association of literary scholars in the country) suggests some resources for us: 1) "Charlottesville Syllabus: Readings on the History of Hate in America" https://daily.jstor.org/charlottesville-syllabi-history-hate-america/; 2) A documentary, "Charlottesville: Race and Terror" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P54sP0Nlngg; and 3) a teacher's guide to "Teaching the Literatures of the American Civil War," an ebook free for download https://www.mla.org/Publications/Bookstore/Options-for-Teaching/Teaching-the-Literatures-of-the-American-Civil-War. We can also uncover additional materials circulating on Twitter under the #CharlottesvilleCurriculum hashtag. Let's educate ourselves and others on how to address and fight against white supremacy in our country.
- Activists on the ground in Charlottesville have been fighting white supremacy for a long time, including pushing for the removal of a statute of Robert E. Lee and other Confederate monuments (http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/14/543471538/charlottesville-rally-aimed-to-defend-a-confederate-statue-it-may-have-doomed-ot). Let’s show them some support. We can help by: A) contacting the office of Judge Richard Moore of the Charlottesville Circuit Court to urge him to dismiss an upcoming court case disputing the ability of the City Council to remove the Lee statute; we can reach the judge’s office at 434-970-3766 or via mail sent to the Hon. Judge Richard Moore, Charlottesville Circuit Court, 315 E. High Street, Charlottesville, VA 22902 and via e-mail to the Clerk of Courts at email@example.com, saying “I’m leaving a message for Judge Moore regarding the upcoming Monument Fund hearing, scheduled for August 30th. As someone concerned about community safety, I strongly urge you to join the City of Charlottesville in dismissing this case, which will continue to sow violence in the community” and B) petitioning Charlottesville Mayor Mike Signer and Councilwoman Kathy Galvin to change their votes against removing the statue and to support the removal of all other Confederate monuments, which we can do at this link: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/remove-charlottesville-statues.
- We can see what Trump sees in his twitter feed by following this twitter handle. This can give us some insight to what is motivating him. https://twitter.com/trumps_feed
- Congress might not be up for grabs this year, but there are plenty of crucial races at the state and local level where we can get involved. Karen Keys-Gamarra is running for an at-large seat on the Fairfax County School Board, which governs the largest school district in Virginia. She’s an attorney with a record of advocating for kids who is pledged to fight bathroom bills and for equal rights for all students (http://www.insidenova.com/news/education/at-debate-fairfax-school-board-contenders-make-push-for-votes/article_52287fb6-7dc0-11e7-9599-cbcb29398993.html). Let’s help her out against her GOP-endorsed opponent by writing postcards with Postcards to Voters. We can e-mail Postcards@TonyTheDemocrat.org to get addresses and instructions.
- We have a unique chance to participate in scientific data collection! On Monday, August 21, 2017, a total solar eclipse will cross the continental United States, from coast to coast. The California Academy of Science invites citizen scientists like us to take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to record eclipse-related animal behavior with the iNaturalist app. https://www.calacademy.org/citizen-science/solar-eclipse-2017 At iNaturalist, we can see that our data can contribute to science: "Every observation can contribute to biodiversity science, from the rarest butterfly to the most common backyard weed. We share your findings with scientific data repositories like the Global Biodiversity Information Facility to help scientists find and use your data. All you have to do is observe." Let's take this unique opportunity to contribute and invite children in our lives to participate too.
- The Church of the Latter-day Saints (LDS) issued a statement regarding the Mormon church's position on white supremacists: “White supremacist attitudes are morally wrong and sinful, and we condemn them” and Mormons who “promote or pursue a ‘white culture’ or white supremacy agenda,” the statement said, “are not in harmony with the teachings of the church.” http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865686836/LDS-Church-issues-statement-condemning-white-supremacist-attitudes.html We can send postcards of support to: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 50 N West Temple, Salt Lake City UT 84150.
- Chris Long, Philadelphia Eagles defensive end, feels strongly about supporting people fighting for equality. So, during the national anthem before Thursday’s game against Buffalo, Long put his arm around fellow player safety who has during the national anthem as a way to protest social injustice for the last year. "I've heard a lot of people say you need white athletes to get involved in the anthem protests," Long said. "I've said before I'll never kneel for an anthem, because the flag means something different for everybody in this country, but I support my peers. And if you don't see why you need allies for people that are fighting for equality right now, I don't think you'll ever see it.” https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-chris-long-on-anthem-embrace-im-here-to-show-support-as-a-white-athlete/ Let’s thank Long and Jenkins: http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/footer/contact-us.html
- We can join in a Twitter Storm with the Twitter Warriors Sunday evening 8-10pm and tweet for voting rights. All the information and tweetsheets can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1954035228184627/
- Let’s find out how we can be part of the Women’s March August Reset: https://www.womensmarch.com/augustreset
- We know that the ACLU has often taken on cases of hate groups on the grounds of free speech. However, after the events of last weekend, the ACLU has changed their policy so that they will no longer take on hate groups that protest with firearms. http://thehill.com/homenews/347053-aclu-revises-policy-to-avoid-supporting-hate-groups-protesting-with-firearms Let’s thank the ACLU for this change: 125 Broad Street, 18th Floor, New York NY 10004 or call 212-549-2500.
- “"Do you feel devastated by the rise of racism, anti-Semitism, and hatred of humanity? Not sure how to respond to the Neo-Nazi violence in #Charlottesville? Responding to hate with hate does not stop hate. We know we must respond to hate with love. But how? Pledge to donate $1 (or any amount!) for every Alt-Right/Neo Nazi/Hate-sympathizer that shows up to rally on the Boston Common this Saturday, August 19.” Let’s find out how: https://pledgeit.org/nobostonhate
- In Trump’s speech in May to the Arab Islamic American Summit, he said, "A better future is only possible if your nations drive out the terrorists and drive out the extremists. Drive them out. Drive them out of your places of worship, drive them out of your communities, drive them out of your Holy Land and drive them out of this Earth." We agree that this also holds true for terrorists in our own country. Let’s join in this petition calling on Congress and other agencies to define and criminalize domestic terrorist organizations: KKK and white supremacists. https://www.change.org/p/create-criminal-law-for-domestic-terrorism-and-reestablish-funding-to-prevent-violent-extremism
- Let’s join in the Southern Poverty Law Center’s petition telling Trump to take responsibility for the hate he’s unleashed: https://www.splcenter.org/tell-president-trump-take-responsibility-hate-hes-unleashed
Marches/events/teleconferences to attend/organize
- From Indivisible: Today, "join The Majority in a day of action confronting white supremacy in your community. All across the country, there are symbols of white supremacy and institutions that protect it. In some cases, these may be obvious -- like a Confederate monument or flag. In other cases, this may be something more subtle -- perhaps a business or group associated with Trump. Find an event in your community here. These events are still being planned, so if there isn’t one nearby yet, plan it and register it here to get out the word.”
- Tomorrow, Sunday, August 20th, resistance groups including Indivisible, Women's March, Color of Change, MomsRising, and many others, will be hosting a national training call: Confronting White Supremacy. The call will focus on white supremacy from historical and present-day perspectives, opportunities to fight back against bigotry, and tips for how to talk to our friends and family about white supremacy as well as address it in our own communities. Let's RSVP and listen in this Sunday: https://act.moveon.org/survey/readytoresist15
- “For our White Friends Desiring to be Allies”: https://sojo.net/articles/our-white-friends-desiring-be-allies
- “Hate on my Way to a Peace Rally”: https://ldebeerwardell.wordpress.com/2017/08/18/hate-on-my-way-to-a-peace-rally/
- As always, our weekly dose of Small Victories from Peace is Loud: http://mailchi.mp/peaceisloud/small-victories-this-is-a-massive-awakening