Contact Government Officials
Reports say that calling numbers are low – please call. Then call again. Every day, make at least one call.
- This Thursday, the House will be voting on the deceptively titled Protecting Access to Care of 2017 (H.R. 1215). This bill would remove legal protections for patients, while easing liabilities on pharmaceutical companies. Let's call our representatives and ask them to vote "no" on H.R. 1215. 5Calls has more information about this damaging bill, as well as a call script and phone numbers for our representatives: https://5calls.org/issue/rec6cauJOVV9GCQvo
- It makes no sense to give someone a lifetime appointment as a judge when they have zero experience in that role, yet John K. Bush has been nominated to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Bush has an extensive history of extreme views on civil rights, as well as extreme partisanship, which the Civil Rights Leadership Group details in its letter to Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Grassley and Ranking Member Feinstein: http://bit.ly/2rmNeSY Let's make sure our Senators know that we want them to reject the nomination of John K. Bush to the Sixth Circuit. 5Calls has a call script we can use: https://5calls.org/issue/rec3q0qDDoP4c7yrH
- Ivanka Trump took to the Fox airwaves to decry the viciousness of Washington: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUCpuNW8N3Q We can let her know some of the things that we find vicious at this time in history: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC, 20500
- Congressman Sean Huffy (R-WI) asked re: Russia probe: “… what the hell are we investigating?”: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/337521-gop-rep-on-mueller-what-the-hell-are-we-investigation We can share our perspective on what is being investigated: Rep. Sean Duffy, 2330 Rayburn HOB, Washington, DC 20515
- GOP leaders in
the Senate are trying to move fast on Trumpcare, so that they can pass it
before we make it clear to their members that it's unacceptable. We may be
less than a month away from a vote. http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/politics/republican-health-care/index.html
Today, the Indivisible Guide team will be hosting a national call-in day
to the Senate on health care. Let's join in and let our senators hear our
voices on Trumpcare. You can find scripts here: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resource/stop-trumpcare-senate-call-script/.
You can find and share the Facebook event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/299962593763978.
And once you've called your own senators, you can join the ACA Defenders
in making sure folks in key states call their senators too here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfMiCjyVEprsCak0eifPbNorKx-C86ygqSasdbbLaA4gX874g/viewform.
- While the Senate tries to repeal ACA and take health insurance away from 23 million people, Tom Price and Trump's Department of Health and Human Services are attacking it from the executive branch, too. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trumps-executive-order-on-obamacare-means-everything-and-does-nothing/ The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Studies is asking for public comment on their effort to chip away at the Affordable Care Act. https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/873212697491406849. Let's tell them we want them to save the protections the ACA created. Find instructions on how to submit comments here: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/06/12/2017-12130/reducing-regulatory-burdens-imposed-by-the-patient-protection-and-affordable-care-act-and-improving#addresses.
- Governor John Carney (D-DE) signed a law that will keep abortion legal in Delaware. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/delaware-john-carney-donald-trump-roe-wade-abortion-rights-a7784056.html. We can ask our state legislature and governors to protect reproductive rights in our own states. Thank Governor Carney at http://governor.delaware.gov/email-governor-carney/ or write to: 320 N. French St. 12th fl, Wilmington DE 19801.
- Mayor Dale Ross (R) of Georgetown Texas says that clean energy is a no-brainer. http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/republican-mayor-texas-clean-energy-no-brainer-n769056 Let's remind our own mayors to join Mayor Ross in making a commitment to clean energy. We can thank Mayor Ross for his leadership and efforts: Mayor Dale Ross, City Hall, 113 E 8th St, Georgetown TX 78626. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Now Senate Republicans want to ban TV journalists from reporting from the halls of the Capitol without advance permission. This, on top of secret healthcare bill sessions, voter suppression, extreme gerrymandering, silencing of (women) colleagues, and more—all orchestrated by Republicans. What about this is normal? http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2017/06/13/senate-republicans-abruptly-restrict-news-cameras-congressional-corridors/vUv79vyCsFUaDSjZUn6KzM/story.html Let’s tell our MoCs that we value the voices and views of all Americans, even if we disagree, and we will not stand for the silencing of our compatriots and the restricting of our free press.
- Apparently unconcerned about civilian deaths and human rights abuses in Yemen, the Senate has rejected efforts to block the part of Trump’s $110 billion arms sale to Saudi Arabia that would build up the Saudi air force. The vote was close (47-53), with four Republicans--Lee (Utah), Young (IN), Heller (NV), Paul (KY)—voting to advance the motion and five Democrats voting against it. These are Joe Donnelly (IN), Joe Manchin (WV), Mark Warner (VA), Claire McCaskill (MO), and Bill Nelson (FL): http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/337614-senate-rejects-effort-to-block-saudi-arms-sale At the very least, we should let these Democrats know that we deplore their willingness to further arm this brutal authoritarian regime. The Capital switchboard—1-202-224-3121—will connect you to the offices of these senators.
11. Today’s #THERESISTANCE TWEETSHEETS is on the healthcare bill: https://resistancetweetsheets.wordpress.com
- Only 26 companies are still advertising with Breitbart, down from 242 in March, yet Amazon remains among those 26 http://bit.ly/2qZiZ00 It is time for Amazon to do stand up against hate, and stop buying advertising on Breitbart. The Sierra Club's Add Up has a petition and sample tweet we can send to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos http://bit.ly/2rVYhAY
- NBC is lending their credibility to Infowars’ Alex Jones by planning to air Megyn Kelly’s interview with him. Among his more striking platforms is the idea that Sandyhook was a hoax. Naturally, this is causing a lot of pain to Sandyhook parents – particularly since the interview is set to air on Father’s Day: http://thehill.com/homenews/media/337531-nbc-executive-defends-megyn-kelly-interview-with-alex-jones We can share our thoughts with NBC about this: email@example.com In response to this, J.P. Morgan Chase has pulled all advertising on NBC until after the interview has aired http://on.wsj.com/2teWc0Q Let's thank J.P. Morgan Chase's Chief Marketing Officer Kristin Lemkau for speaking up; we can send a tweet to @KLemkau, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org We can also e-mail NBC's senior executive producer David Corvo and let him know how we feel about this blatant ratings grab: email@example.com Then, let’s share this letter to the NBC News Chairman by a Sandy Hook mom on social media http://www.sandyhookpromise.org/sandy_hook_promise_letter_to_nbc_s_andy_lack
- From one of our own: For the third time since the inauguration, I called Zappos to express my concern regarding the company's continued inclusion of this [Ivanka] brand. I made my way a little further up the chain today and told the "resource desk" that "doing all we can" was simple - stop carrying the brand. In the end, I deleted my account. I told the resource desk my spending was insignificant so the loss of my account didn't matter. However, I noted, my voice among women would be loud. The information in the article is inconsistent with "empowering women" and #womenwhowork spin her PR department puts out. Shameful. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/13/revealed-reality-of-a-life-working-in-an-ivanka-trump-clothing-factory Let’s all follow this lead and unconnect ourselves from this brand.
- Throughout the
U.S., families are separated as parents are stuck in jail pre-trial,
simply because they cannot afford to post bail. The Movement For Black
Lives is asking that we continue supporting the National Bail Out Day
through June, so that we can help bring dads home for Father's Day. We can
learn more about the project, read about the success of National Mama's
Bail Out Day, and donate to the cause here: https://nomoremoneybail.org/
- If you are feeling on the fence about Delta and Bank of America pulling their support for the Public Theater’s staging of Julius Caesar, it is of note that in 2012, Delta sponsored a production in Minnesota that featured an Obama-like figure: http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Delta-Sponsored-2012-Guthrie-Theater-Season-Which-Featured-Obama-Inspired-Julius-Caesar-20170612 We can show our support for the Public Theater by making a donation: https://publictheater.org/Programs--Events/Shakespeare-in-the-Park/Support-Free-Shakespeare/?SiteTheme=Shakespeare
- Jackson Wyoming mayor Peter Muldoon says that respect must be earned, not demanded. He removed pictures of the president and vice-president from the Jackson town hall. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/12/pete-muldoon-wyoming-mayor-removes-trumps-portrait/ Mayor Muldoon is hearing from the haters on this! http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/town_county/decision-to-remove-trump-photo-backfires/article_b074820d-c329-52d9-8cda-f43c43e353a7.html Let’s send our support: Mayor Pete Muldoon, PO Box 1687, Jackson, WY 38001 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Now that the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld the block of the Muslim Ban (which, if you can make your way through the double negative, is good news), this piece in APNews talks about what happens next as the Trump administration takes it to the Supreme Court: https://www.apnews.com/42d77e148a454a0e9ef6951f4c9a60a6/Q&A:-What's-next-in-the-legal-fight-over-the-travel-ban
- A reminder why facts don’t change our minds: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/why-facts-dont-change-our-minds?mbid=amp
- Too many families will face this if the ACA is repealed: https://youtu.be/Ju3K9bqPTeM For a concise looks at the healthcare bill status and more we can do: https://www.facebook.com/joe.katz.967/posts/10101218289464970
- Using one’s wealth for the common good is to be celebrated: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/12/532597956/art-collector-sells-lichtenstein-for-165-million-to-fund-criminal-justice-reform