Contact Government Officials
- Allies of Donald Trump are attacking special counsel Robert Mueller, attempting to discredit him and hinting that Trump might fire him. (http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/337511-the-memo-trump-allies-turn-fire-on-mueller) Especially given the bipartisan praise when Mueller was selected, this is unfathomable. Let's call our members of Congress and demand that they issue public statements that if Mueller is fired, they will support an independent commission to investigate Trump's connections to Russian interference in our election and his efforts to obstruct justice.
week, the House voted to roll back critical protections the Obama
administration put in place to regulate Wall Street and the big banks and
to prevent another recession http://www.npr.org/2017/06/08/532036374/house-passes-bill-aimed-at-reversing-dodd-frank-financial-regulations
Americans for Financial Reform has built a tool that allows you to easily
find out how your representative voted (spoiler alert: if they're a
Democrat they voted no, and if they're a Republican unless their name is
Walter Jones they voted yes) and send them a message either thanking them
for their vote or holding them accountable for it. Let's join them and let
our reps know we care about this issue. https://actionnetwork.org/letters/hold-congress-accountable-for-their-wall-street-giveaway-2
And then let's call our senators and tell them we want them to make sure
this goes no further.
- Every day it seems like there's a new headline about some horrendous cut Donald Trump wants to make to our government to pay for tax cuts for the wealthy. A bipartisan group of representatives is urging the Appropriations Committee to reject the $3 million cut to the budget of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum Trump proposed. (http://thehill.com/policy/finance/337140-trump-faces-backlash-over-3m-holocaust-museum-cuts) At a time of rising intolerance and a spike in hate crimes, we need this institution strong more than ever. Let's call our members of Congress and tell them we want them to reject appropriations bills that cut funding for the Holocaust Museum.
Senate Republicans discuss the AHCA behind closed doors, there seems to be
debate amongst the GOP over whether to include pre-existing condition
coverage, or to give Medicaid expansions more time to phase out http://bit.ly/2taD1Wa Let's give Senate Majority Leader Mitch
McConnell a call to let him know that we want pre-existing condition
coverage AND Medicaid expansion coverage to remain in place (202)
224-2541 We can
also use Indivisible Guide's call script when we make phone calls to our
own MoC: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resource/stop-trumpcare-senate-call-script/
- The Senate is moving fast on their “health” care overhaul with the hopes of passing it before their Republican members have to go home and face constituents: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-senates-three-tools-on-health-care-sabotage-speed-and-secrecy/2017/06/10/11bad38e-4d5a-11e7-9669-250d0b15f83b_story.html?utm_term=.7a93fd26d8af Their efforts manage to not only turn our stomachs but also turn back the “promises” Trump made about health care: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/01/trump-health-care-promises-237856 The Indivisible Guide team has created the TrumpCare Ten project to help us concentrate our efforts on the Senators whose support would be the most crucial to the passing of the AHCA. At the website, we can find contact information, statistics for the states whose Senators we'll be contacting, and graphics we can share on social media to help get the word out. Let's visit https://www.trumpcareten.org/ and get to work!
- Trump tweeted about how cowardly Comey is: http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/amp/president-trump-calls-james-comey-cowardly-early-morning-tweet-n770731 And then he pulled out of UK state visit because of concerns about protests: https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/11/donald-trump-state-visit-to-britain-put-on-hold This is a good time to share our own thoughts with Trump about his own cowardice: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20500
- Indiana State Representative Jim Lucas is trying to win the state rep race to the bottom with his bon mots about women “empowering” themselves to avoid victimization via sexual assault with helpful suggestions like carrying guns: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/indiana-state-rep-apologizes-how-not-be-victim-rape-post-n770626 As his apology somehow manages to be a doubling down, let’s share our thoughts with him: Rep. Jim Lucas, 200 W. Washington St., Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Rep. Mike Quigley (D-IL) has introduced the Communications Over Various Feeds Electronically for Engagement (COVFEFE) Act, which has the same acronym as an infamous Trump Twitter typo last month, would amend the Presidential Records Act to include "social media." These twitter rants by the President are a record of his behavior. The conflicting statements by trump can add to the investigations as well as to the legal cases filed against him. Let's call our reps and support this legislation. http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/337416-covefe-act-would-make-social-media-a-presidential-record We can tell our own representative that we support the COVFEFE Act and would like to see it advance in the House. We can also send thank yous and messages of support to Mike Quigley, 3223 N. Sheffield Ave, Chicago IL 60657 (Lakeview office).
- Who knows when, whether, or how the Trump administration will “renegotiate” NAFTA, but a leaked draft memo suggests great benefits to corporations looking for easier environmental, health, and offshoring regulations and imposes “tariffs” on Mexican and Canadian goods if Trump’s government claims they harm US companies: http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/30/news/economy/donald-trump-nafta/index.html Corporate Accountability International has launched a petition to US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer—https://petitions.signforgood.com/ReplaceNAFTA/ Or, more effectively, we can write him directly at Office of the US Trade Representative, Winder Bldg., 600 17th St., NW, Washington DC 20006 and let him know what we think a fair trade deal with our neighbors should include.
- In Congress's continuing effort to dismantle environmental regulations, the House passed H.R. 953 “Reducing Regulatory Burdens Act of 2017” in late May, with the assent of 25 Democrats. The Senate version of what is called by some the “Poison Our Waters Act,” the “Sensible Environmental Protection Act of 2017” (S340), now approaching a vote, reverses a 2009 appellate court ruling that pesticides applied to waterways should be considered pollutants and be regulated under the Clean Water Act; it also ends our ability to know where and when pesticides are applied: http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/334991-house-votes-to-roll-back-pesticide-restrictions Especially given Democratic weakness in the House, we must make sure our senators do not similarly lend themselves to this effort to leave our water unprotected—and ourselves ignorant. Let them hear from us!
- HR 2581, or the “Verify First” Act is a dangerous bill that puts up roadblocks for both citizens and immigrants to obtain timely, affordable health insurance. It would strip away provisions that provide for a person to obtain subsidies for enrollment in an Affordable Care Act (or the contemplated American Health Care Act) plan while they work with Department of Health and Human Services to verify their U.S. citizenship or immigration status. The people most impacted are U.S. citizens who were born abroad or naturalized. The bill also affects many immigrants, especially those newly arrived or certain victims of domestic violence and trafficking survivors. This bill would make people wait to get health insurance subsidies until they have their U.S. citizenship or immigration status verified -- a process that can drag on for months. (Right now if they can't verify they just pay back the subsidies. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr2581 Let’s call our reps telling them we do not agree with this, as it would cause hardship to so many.
- Why is Megyn Kelly interviewing fake news promoter, Alex Jones on NBC? "In the preview of the interview, which will air next Sunday at 7 p.m., Jones says he isn’t paranoid and does not back down from his stance that the 9/11 terror attacks were an “inside job” and that the Sandy Hook school shooting wasn’t real. Jones, 42, has accused the U.S. government of being involved in the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995 and also claims U.S. moon landings were faked." While most of us are trying to identify fake news sources and reporting ones in our FB feeds, Megyn Kelly is giving him more air time. Let's tell Ms. Kelly and NBC we don't want to hear any more fake stories and we don't think Alex Jones deserves any any more free news time. https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/6/12/15782342/megyn-kelly-alex-jones-interview-nbc-saturday-night Contact info: tweet @Megynkelly then, email NBC here. http://www.nbc.com/contact-us From the drop down boxes chose 1) I have feedback on NBC programming. 2) Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly and 3) I have a complaint or a concern. Then you can write a short complaint.
- Students across the United States are using Trump's words to bully others http://bit.ly/2tcNro5 Let's help our kids understand and accept our diverse world; the National Council of Teachers of English has compiled a Participatory Citizenship reading list to help us educate our children and encourage them to empathize with others, then take action http://bit.ly/2qHsU9w
- Apparently corporate sponsors only like art when it behaves itself. Both Delta Airlines and Bank of America have withdrawn their funding from NYC's Public Theatre, which is staging a production of Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar. Why? In this interpretation of the play, Julius looks a lot like Trump, and the other characters are recognizable analogies for contemporary political figures as well. And we know what happens at the end of the play, right? Was this interpretation of the play meant to "provoke and offend," as the spokesperson for Bank of America said? Obviously. That was the role of the original play, too. http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/12/532593994/delta-bofa-drop-support-for-julius-caesar-that-looks-too-much-like-trump That's part of what art does. Losing funding from these big companies is likely to be a major blow, and the Public Theatre could use our help. Those of us who'd like to support this edgy and timely production of a classic play can do so here: https://www.publictheater.org/en/Support/Donate-Now/ We can also contact the advertisers asking them to reconsider their decision: Bank of America: http://www.corporate-office-headquarters.com/bank-of-america-corporation and Delta: http://www.corporate-office-headquarters.com/delta-airlines
- 14 -year-old 8th grader in Montana was instrumental is obtaining solar panels for her middle school https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/05/28/kid-power-brings-solar-power-montana-middle-school/352597001/ We can send thank you postcards to Claire Vlases for her leadership and persistance: Claire Vlases, c/o Sacajawea Middle School, 3525 S 3rd St, Bozeman MT 59715.
- Movement for Black Lives is again asking for donations for a Father’s Day, Juneteenth, and Pride bail-out effort: https://nomoremoneybail.org Give generously to fight the inhumane and destructive money bail system.
- Jessica Colotl, a public face for the "Dreamers," has had her DACA status revoked by the Trump administration on a very flimsy excuse. (http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/08/us/jessica-colotl-dreamer-federal-court/index.html) Public action helped her avoid deportation before, and we are fighting to make sure it does again. Join the ACLU is signing this petition to have her DACA status restored: https://action.aclu.org/secure/Jessicas-DACA.
- “Our Children's Trust elevates the voice of youth to secure the legal right to a stable climate and healthy atmosphere for the benefit of all present and future generations. Through our programs, youth participate in advocacy, public education and civic engagement to ensure the viability of all natural systems in accordance with science.” This is the organization behind the youth climate lawsuit, Juliana v. United States, which despite Trump’s attempt to stop it, will be going to trial. http://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/Youth-climate-lawsuit-against-federal-government-11213420.php The organization wants our involvement in many ways. Let’s see if we have what they are looking for: https://www.ourchildrenstrust.org/
- ACLU commentary on having Sessions testify behind closed doors: https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-comment-reports-closed-door-sessions-testimony
- From one of our own: “Yes, it is "resistance", but it is also gratitude for things that people are doing well, and apology for things people are not doing well that affect other countries. https://www.elephantjournal.com/2017/06/i-am-no-longer-calling-myself-part-of-the-resistance/
- An interesting take on why Democrats and Republicans cannot agree on healthcare: https://www.americamagazine.org/politics-society/2017/05/25/why-democrats-and-republicans-still-cannot-agree-health-care-reform