Contact Federal Government Officials
- We’ve all heard that most Republicans say that the millions of people who will be dropped from Medicaid are people who don’t really want to have insurance in the first place. Even Paul Ryan (R-WI) said so. However, the facts do not bear that out. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/jun/28/paul-ryan/paul-ryan-wrong-most-22-million-uninsured-would-be/ Let’s share this truth with Rep. Ryan: https://paulryan.house.gov/contact/
- The Orange Resistance warns us not to be fooled by McConnell’s Deke! Let’s follow their advice to block the healthcare plan: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0k1qCMVpKZpYXdPM3hKWDQ3dUU/view
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has WARNED Republican Senators that they might be forced to reach across the aisle: http://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/top-senate-republican-mitch-mcconnell-warns-bipartisanship-health/story?id=48336713 Yes, you read that right, the threat of bipartisanship is the stick McConnell is wielding. Let’s let McConnell know that bipartisanship is actually what we expect: 317 Russell SOB, Washington, DC 20510
- It's important that we continue to hold our Senators accountable for their actions when they return to their states during the July 3-7 recess. One way we can do this is by making sure that our senators are having town halls to hear what their constituents have to say. Let's give them a call and ask when and where they will be hosting their town halls. 5Calls has a call script available: https://5calls.org/issue/rec5jkLPZfOmcKC1Z For those Senators who refuse to host town halls, the Indivisible Guide team has a Missing Member of Congress Action Plan we can check out: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resource/missing-members-action-plan/
- As some have wisely said, the Republicans are like the “dog who caught the car” with health care as it is possible for it to unravel from both ends: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-healthcare-gop-politics-20170628-story,amp.html If you have a Republican Senator, regardless of his or her stance on this issue, please make sure your voice is heard. It is a horrible bill but it is horrible in so many ways that there are multiple avenues of influence among them. For example, this article calls attention to Senators Collins, Rounds, and Corker being less than pleased with the tax cuts for the wealthy aspect: https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2017-06-28/key-republicans-want-to-scrap-health-bill-s-tax-cuts-for-wealthyIf you are unsure what to say, consider using this number: https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/6/28/15881720/deaths-senate-health-care-bcra
- In yet another unusual move, this week Trump hosted a fundraiser for himself for re-election campaign. He held it as his own hotel (from which he would profit) and charged $35,000 a plate for attendance. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-28/trump-fundraiser-at-his-washington-hotel-renews-ethics-questions Again, let’s contact the Office of Government Ethics. This is not right. https://www.oge.gov/web/oge.nsf/Organization/Contact%20Us?opendocument
- By this account, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is frustrated by many aspects of his role in the Trump administration: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/28/tillerson-blows-up-at-white-house-aide-240075 Let’s remind Tillerson that he does not have to serve this president: U.S. Department of State, 2201 C Street NW, Washington, DC 20520
- Monuments aren't just above ground. The Trump admin is targeting marine monuments and sanctuaries, too. "Implementing an America-First Offshore Energy Strategy, signed on April 28, 2017, the Department of Commerce is conducting a review of all designations and expansions of National Marine Sanctuaries and Marine National Monuments since April 28, 2007." Public comment is open, so we can submit our comments here: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/06/26/2017-13308/review-of-national-marine-sanctuaries-and-marine-national-monuments-designated-or-expanded-since. For a more user-friendly description of what's going on, let's read this blog entry and share it on social media: https://blog.marine-conservation.org/2017/06/trumps-attack.html
- While we are all
focused on healthcare, the need for a Congressional independent
investigation into the Russia/Trump situation remains. Such an investigation will provide
different outcomes from those of the special counsel. http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/the-administration/340091-can-congress-access-evidence-uncovered-by-the-special When we call our MoCs, let’s remind
them that we still want an independent investigation.
- Trump’s personal attack on news show host Mika Brzezinski on Thursday morning topped all of his other personal insults on news people and as usual, it's a woman he insults due to her looks. http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/340023-morning-joe-host-responds-to-trump-attack-with-little-hands These remarks are also being condemned by some members of the Republican party http://ti.me/2s5vJCZ But, Rep. Brenda Lawrence (D-MI) struck exactly the right tone, and touched on exactly the right themes, when she called out Trump for his deplorable use of Twitter. Here are her remarks: https://www.facebook.com/CBSNews/videos/10154788925570950/ Let’s thank her: 202-225-5802, or 1213 Longworth House Office Building, Washington, DC 20515.
- CREDO Action has offered another way of speaking out against the AHCA and BCRA healthcare bill; by submitting a public comment to the Department of Health and Human Services. We can do so through the CREDO Action website, and personalize the pre-filled comment box https://act.credoaction.com/sign/trumpcare_public_comments
- The Department of Homeland Security is restarting a grant program to counter violent extremism, but without explanation they have dropped Life After Hate from the list of grantees – despite the fact that they were supposed to receive $400,000 as of the end of the Obama Administration. (http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/23/playbook-dhs-extremism-life-after-hate-239889) Life After Hate helps combat white extremism far-right extremism by working with individuals who wish to leave a life of hate and violence or bystanders and family members who want to help someone they love disengage, and they’ve had a twenty-fold increase in requests for help since Election Day. Let’s call our reps and ask them to request the House Committee on Homeland Security and the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs get an explanation from DHS why Life After Hate was dropped.
- There is nowhere in the United States where you can work full-time on the federal minimum wage and afford a two-bedroom apartment, and only 12 counties where you could rent a one-bedroom apartment. (http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/12/nobody-making-federal-minimum-wage-can-afford-a-two-bedroom-apartment.html) Since Trump has no interest in raising the minimum wage or supporting more affordable housing, we’re going to have to ramp up the pressure for anything to change. Rep. Keith Ellison has proposed the Common Sense Housing Investment Act of 2017, which would eliminate the mortgage deduction tax break and use the savings to expand access to affordable housing. Let’s call our reps and tell them we want them to support this or other real solutions to this challenge.
- Bernie Sanders (D-VT) has introduced legislation, S1441, to expand community health centers. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sanders-clyburn-announce-act-to-expand-community-health-center-funding/ Let's ask our own senators to support S1441.
- The nice-sounding "Child Welfare Provider Inclusion Act" (Senate bill S811 and House bill HR1881) would make it harder for LGBTQ children to be placed in foster homes. http://www.glamour.com/story/congress-lgbtq-kids-foster-homes-discrimination Let’s tell our MoC's that we oppose this legislation that disenfranchises some of our most vulnerable children.
- Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-HI), who the day before was speaking out against the Senate healthcare bill, is recovering from surgery as part of her cancer treatment. http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/35754534/hirono-to-undergo-second-cancer-related-surgery-tuesday Let’s send her get-well wishes: https://www.hirono.senate.gov/contact (scroll to bottom of page for addresses)
- Congressman Donald Beyer (D-VA) just introduced the Fair Representation Act, HR3057, to change the way we vote for members of the House to a system that will more fairly represent constituents. http://www.salon.com/2017/06/27/make-democracy-great-again-rep-don-beyers-revolutionary-bill-could-transform-how-we-elect-congress/ Let's tell our own representatives that we support HR3057 to give this voting-reform bill forward momentum.
- NJ: CALL for VOLUNTEER ATTORNEYS to provide on the ground support at Newark International Airport. In the wake of the Supreme Court decision lifting the stay on part of the Muslim ban, there is an urgent need for attorneys to provide legal support at the airport. To sign up for a shift, please first sign up for the Google Group here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScERxNDPV9oxfdUCeqKjlSC62WI-JVewgl9ooB21Opj5sLu6g/viewform
- Trump's Election Integrity Commission, which will meet in July and is chaired by Mike Pence, with Kris Kobach as vice-chair, is requesting full voter rolls, including names and party affiliations, from every single state. The purpose of the group is to "promote fair and honest Federal elections", however most of the members believe that voter fraud is rampant and that voting guidelines need to be more stringent. http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/29/534901343/white-house-panel-asks-states-for-their-voter-rolls At least California and Virginia have already refused on the grounds that it would be costly and unnecessary. Let’s ask our governors, secretaries of state, and state MoCs to join in with other states and not comply with this request unless there is some validation of voter fraud. We can find our secretary of state here: https://www.thebalance.com/secretary-of-state-websites-1201005
- In a chilling, shameful misrepresentation of the #resistance, the NRA has gone a step too far in their newest video ad that barely stops short of promoting violence. https://www.vox.com/world/2017/6/29/15892508/nra-ad-dana-loesch-yikes It was so inciteful that the Women’s March has penned an open letter to NRA Executive Vice President and CEO Wayne LaPierre: https://www.womensmarch.com/nra/ The NRA needs to hear from all us, we the people, that this is not acceptable: https://contact.nra.org/contact-us.aspx
- The fear that Social Security and Medicare may be next on the cutting block should concern all citizens, as it has been the safety net for seniors and the disabled for many decades. Let’s join the Democratic Governors Association in telling Republicans to stop attacking them: https://surveys.signforgood.com/DA-SocialSafetyNet This includes a survey with a request for a donation, but only give if you can.
- Here is a petition demanding an independent investigation Into Russia's influence in American politics. Let’s sign: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/701/622/845/demand-a-bipartisan-investigation-into-russias-influence-in-american-politics/
Marches/events to attend/organize
- July 2: there are Impeachment Marches all over the world. Check here for details and to find sister marches: http://www.impeachmentmarch.org/
- August 26: The Indivisible March (http://indivisiblemarch.weebly.com/) is “different in that we want constituents, voters, to march on their own district. If you happen to live in Washington, D.C., by all means MARCH ON WASHINGTON. However, if your district is not in the State of Washington, D.C., your participation will make more of a difference by organizing and marching in your own district. As indivisibleguide.com has taught us, WE THE PEOPLE must hold Congress accountable by taking action within our own community. “ If we want to organize one where we are, let’s check this out: http://indivisiblemarch.weebly.com/organizers.html We can also follow their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/indivisiblemarch/
- Beryllium is a toxic element. The Obama administration issued a safety-exposure rule in January, 2017. The Trump administration wants to roll back the rules. http://billmoyers.com/story/ever-wanted-know-beryllium/ Let's be informed about Beryllium.
- Another look at just
who voted for Trump: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bowmanmarsico/2017/06/23/who-were-donald-trumps-voters-now-we-know/#7d3fd2d38942
- If the horrifying fire at Grenfell Towers in London has taught us anything, it is to be afraid of deregulation and privatization, two of our president’s favorite things. Food & Water Watch has a terrific website, on which we can find extensive information about Trump’s efforts to privatize and deregulate everything—as well as information about local issues and actions, state by state: https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/