Contact Government Officials
- Our MoCs are on recess right now, but we still keep up our efforts in making contact with them. With all the newfound situations, we still need to tell our legislators that we want an independent commission to address the Trump/Russia connection. http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/how-can-congress-set-independent-commission-investigate-russia-n739536 We know that what an independent investigation can do is different from what a special counsel can do. We want both. Call and/or write today.
- Although Trump has managed a lengthy Tweet storm about adding money to health care and about all the “fake news”, he has not managed to mention the victims of the Portland attack, Taliesin Myrddin Namkai-Meche, Rick Best (both killed) and Micah David-Cole Fletcher (who has survived): https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/29/portland-attack-donald-trump-called-on-to-make-statement-about-double This news link includes a link to Dan Rather’s very stirring Facebook post on this subject (very worth reading) in which he tells Trump the names of these three honorable men. Let’s join Rather’s call to action to Trump by sending him a postcard with the names of these three heroes listed: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20500
- Secretary of Homeland Security, John Kelly, is not concerned about Jared Kushner’s efforts to set up back-channel communication with Russia while other experts have expressed great concern: https://apnews.com/ebe8344eaf254343bba39ce17008c7ee/Kelly-defends-plan-for-Russia-back-channel-as-a-'good-thing' and https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-white-house-defends-jared-kushner-experts-question-his-back-channel-move/2017/05/28/9a82cfea-43c9-11e7-b08b-1818ab401a7f_story.html?utm_term=.32e5918c1bf2 We can let him know why we ARE concerned: The Honorable John F. Kelly, Secretary of Homeland Security, Washington, DC, 20528 (yes, that is the whole address)
- Pulitzer-winning journalist and historian Thomas E. Ricks has reversed his own position on the “adults in the room” theory – thinking that people of honor should agree to serve in Trump’s administration to help limit damage. Ricks started by believing this but now thinks that people like national security adviser General HR McMaster need to step away: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/28/general-mcmaster-step-downand-let-trump-be-trump-215199 Let’s join him in asking McMaster to stop destroying himself (and our republic) to defend the administration: National Security Adviser, The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20500
- Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) believes that the US should stay in the environment-protecting Paris Agreement. http://www.newsweek.com/republican-senator-says-trump-must-sign-paris-deal-climate-change-616951 Let's ask any of our climate-denying senators to reconsider their positions and join him. We can also thank Senator Graham for his on-going support of the environment. (Earlier this month he was a critical vote in ensuring methane emissions limits. https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/10/15611540/gop-senate-obama-methane-rule-repeal-donald-trump-congressional-review-act) Lindsey Graham, 130 S Main St 7th Fl, Greenville SC 29601-4870.
- The FBI Director has still not been replaced, following the termination of James Comey http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/24/politics/expanded-fbi-search-lawyers/ Let's make sure our Representatives know that we want someone who is experienced, and non-partisan. 5Calls has a script and phone number available: https://5calls.org/issue/recjqUWRIEDfFKjAc
- Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD), a vocal leader of the Resistance, is recovering from minimally invasive heart surgery http://bit.ly/2rxtfQT We can show our support by sending "Get Well" cards to: Representative Elijah Cummings, 2163 Rayburn HOB, Washington, DC 20515
- A bipartisan bill that will make hearing aids affordable to those with mild-to-moderate hearing loss is under attack. Why? Because Gun Owners of America, a pro-gun group that’s even more extreme than the NRA, wants to deprive Senator Elizabeth Warren (D- MA), the lead author of the bill, a legislative victory—at the expense of people in need. https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2017/05/28/elizabeth-warren-bill-hearing-aid-draws-opposition-from-gun-rights-conservative-groups/WMAAAo9Z8zAK7AzZnrRUII/story.html Let’s thank Warren (202-224-4543) and Senator Chuck Grassley (202-224-3744) for co-sponsoring this humane legislation, and let’s tell our MoCs we want them to support it.
- For all his rhetoric about security, apparently Trump is willing to leave us unprotected when it comes to deadly pathogens, natural or manmade. His budget proposes radical cuts to the agencies tasked with biosecurity: the Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response, the National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, the Center for Global Health: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/28/us/politics/biosecurity-trump-budget-defense.html Let’s tell the White House that we’d rather see our health protected than invest $54 billion in weapons to kill people.
10. In a prescient move early this month, the ACLU issued an “alert” to all travelers to Texas (including U.S. citizens) after the passage of SB4, Texas’s draconian immigration law: https://www.aclutx.org/en/press-releases/aclu-issues-texas-travel-advisory On Monday, a Texas legislator, Matt Rinaldi, impatient when a large, peaceful protest against SB4 brought legislative proceedings briefly to a halt, called in ICE to “incentivize” protesters to leave the state house: https://www.texastribune.org/2017/05/29/protesters-disrupt-house-proceedings-raise-opposition-sanctuary-cities/ We must let legislators and governors know, every time, that we are appalled by the aggressive use of immigration enforcement—against passengers on public transit, as in Minnesota, or injured pedestrians, as in Florida, or protesters like those in Texas. Matt Rinaldi (512-463-0468); Gov. Greg Abbott (512-463-1782)
- On June 10th, there will be anti-Muslim protests taking place across the United States, marketed as a "March Against Sharia." http://imagine2050.newcomm.org/2017/05/22/anti-muslim-march-against-sharia-planned/ Let's call our local mosques to see how we can help support them. We can also engage our local communities by writing a letter to the editor of our local newspaper, in support of our Muslim population.
- One of the best opportunities Democrats have to retake a state legislature this cycle is in Washington state, where we control the governorship and the State House and the Republicans control the state senate by ***just 1 seat***. This November, it'll be up for grabs in a special election in the 45th Legislative District, which only gave Donald Trump 28% of the vote in 2016. (http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/taxes-vs-trump-east-side-contest-will-determine-power-in-olympia/) Let's join our friends at flippable.org in donating to Manka Dhingra, the Democratic candidate for that seat: https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/flipwa45
- The group Iraq Veterans Against the War is wrapping up “About Face Veterans Action Camp,” where fifty veterans spent five days learning Nonviolent Direct Action. IVAW deploys veterans to support progressive causes. Let’s support their work by sharing their website on social media and, if we can, sending them a donation. https://www.ivaw.org/
- Here’s another way to send postcards by using My Card My Voice. For one dollar per card, we can choose and send cards from the site or order cards to use at postcard gatherings. All net profits are donated to charities that support transparency and civil liberties. Let’s check them out here: https://mycardmyvoice.com/ We can like their Facebook page, too: https://www.facebook.com/MyCardMyVoice/
- A GoFundMe account was set up to help Ben Jacobs, the journalist attacked last week in Montana, to buy new glasses that were broken in the assault. He has asked that all proceeds go to The Committee to Protect Journalists. We can donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/help-ben-jacobs-buy-new-glasses or here: https://cpj20023.thankyou4caring.org/ /
Petitions to Sign
- Sign the petition to banks that are financing the companies behind Dakota Access and the four new proposed tar sands pipelines to stop funding them: https://petitions.signforgood.com/DefundPipelines/
- Tell Trump to keep us in the Paris Climate Agreement: https://secure3.convio.net/lcv/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=3811&autologin=true
- In The Atlantic, Adam Serwer has written an important piece that places Greg Gianforte’s violence against journalist Ben Jacobs in a powerful historical context. It is worth the read. “The Lesser Part of Valor”: https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/528384/
- A technical, but sobering look at Trump’s base, thanks to Nate Silver’s 538: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dissecting-trumps-most-rabid-online-following/?ex_cid=538twitter
- “President Trump has a habit of giving compliments that sound a bit like insults, and keeping his staff on edge to remind them just who's in charge.” https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/snubs-and-slights-are-part-of-the-job-in-trumps-white-house/2017/05/29/f5c9d5c0-417a-11e7-9869-bac8b446820a_story.html?utm_term=.dad5b8e5e99f