3/7/17 To-do List
In order to make sure you get each new edition of Rogan’s List, please take a minute to subscribe to updates by inputting your email address on the right side of the blog page above my photo. Then, once you’ve responded to the confirmation email, you will be subscribed! If you are on a phone or tablet, make sure to use the web view. Thanks!
Contact Government Officials
- With the ACA replacement now public (http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/06/news/economy/republicans-obamacare-repeal-replacement-bill/) we need to demand that the Congressional Budget Office review the plan. For more info https://5calls.org/#issue/recGrjFZPDNDIm5Ke
- Rod Rosenstein, the nominee for Deputy Attorney General, will have his hearing Tuesday, March 7th with the Senate Judiciary Committee. If there is an investigation of ties to Russia, now that Jeff Sessions has recused himself, it will led by Rosenstein. http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/322119-meet-the-trump-pick-who-could-lead-russia-probe Call the Judiciary Committee and your senators to tell them you want Rosenstein to commit to appointing a special prosecutor to investigate ties between Russia and the Trump campaign. Judiciary Committee members: https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/about/members
- Still need to call your legislators about Jeff Sessions? Before you make the call, find out where your MoC stands: https://www.axios.com/the-big-bipartisan-names-calling-out-sessions-2294793801.html Now make those calls!
- Transparency remains an issue with this administration. Indivisible demands full transparency with replacing the ACA and helps show us how we can help make that demand, too: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources-2/2017/3/4/demand-full-transparency-in-aca-repeal-efforts
- From one of our own: If you are worried about the way Customs and Border Protection seems to be harassing people at borders, if you have a specific example of a friend or family member who has been detained or harassed, or asked for phone or social media passwords---completely apart from the "Muslim ban"--PLEASE, PLEASE call your Senators and Representatives and tell them about it. Call and say: "I want _____ to initiate a Congressional inquiry into what orders the Trump Administration is issuing to the Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Protection to put his policy of "extreme vetting" into place. I am asking for this because I have been stopped/a friend of family member has been stopped/I have read media about people like me being stopped at the border and detained/asked for their cell phones/asked inappropriate questions."
- The Gorsuch for Supreme Court nomination hearing is set for March 20. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/neil-gorsuch-liberal-protesters-scotus-235659 Here is a “Stop Gorsuch” Tool Kit to show us what to do provided for us by the folks at Alliance for Justice Action Campaign: http://afjactioncampaign.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/StopGorsuchToolkit.pdf
- The National Education Association has given us yet another way to contact our legislators to oppose Gorsuch: http://cqrcengage.com/nea/app/write-a-letter?6&engagementId=301253
- A leaked copy of 45’s proposed cuts to environmental protections show they will be massive and will have negative effects on not only the maintenance of our land, air, and water, but on the quality of our health and lives. https://www.democracynow.org/2017/3/3/trump_s_proposed_epa_cuts_threaten Call your legislators to tell them we cannot backtrack on these important issues.
- Don’t forget! March 15 is the “Ides of Trump” postcard avalanche mailing date. https://www.theidesoftrump.com/ Let’s get those postcard written so they will be ready to mail.
- Stand with all Women on “A Day Without Women” on Wednesday with these ideas from MomsRising: http://action.momsrising.org/sign/WomensStrike/?t=1&akid=8864.2464717.KJyie7
- The Indivisible team will have an emergency call on defending the ACA Tuesday, March 7th at 9pm EST. RSVP for the call: http://bit.ly/2mwbkao
- Numerous states have introduced anti-protest bills into legislation. The ACLU has an interactive map you can use to see if your state is one of them, and to see how far the bills have progressed: https://www.aclu.org/map/where-anti-protest-bills-have-been-introduced-state-legislatures
- Now that bills in both houses of Congress are popping up, know that there are easy ways for you to track those that interest you. Here’s one: https://www.govtrack.us/
- If you are an iPhone user, there is a new app to help you boycott all companies associated with 45: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boycotttrump/id1171663655?mt=8
- Planned Parenthood is calling for us to join in a “Defunding Rally” event outside of our representative's local office TODAY, March 7 at 5:30 p.m. http://plannedparenthoodevents.ngpvanhost.com/ngpvanforms/10728 They are hoping to have representation at every Congressional district in the country. Show up!
- Want to help replace a Republican in Congress? We all can help James Thompson, who is the Democratic nominee in the special election for Mike Pompeo's House seat in Kansas, because they’ve got a GREAT virtual phone bank set up so people can make calls to help him from anywhere. For more info and to sign up to make calls: http://www.votejamesthompson.com/phonebank
Petitions to Sign
- Let’s join with the Union of Concerned Scientists and tell Trump that we stand with science: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/109/791/015/
- Sen. Harris (D-CA) is asking each of us to become a “citizen co-sponsor” of her Access to Counsel Act that will ensure those detained by this new executive order travel ban have access to legal representation. http://go.kamalaharris.org/page/s/access-to-legal-counsel-act
- Trump is stripping away privacy protection for non-U.S. citizens. This is problematic for a number of reasons, which the ACLU addresses here: https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-freely/trump-administration-threatening-publicly-release-private-data-immigrants-and
- It is easy to get overwhelmed at the number of bills being introduced, but many will not go very far. Here is a good graphic to remind us of all the steps that needs to happen before a bill becomes a law: http://lowenthal.house.gov/uploadedphotos/highresolution/db7257e2-5b5a-4424-9169-4e63175843df.jpg
- “Tax Credits are no Substitute for Obamacare”: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/04/opinion/tax-credits-are-no-substitute-for-obamacare.html?smid=tw-nytopinion&smtyp=cur&_r=0
- “Stay Woke, But Get Some Sleep (Self-Care in the Resistance)” http://johnpavlovitz.com/2017/02/15/stay-woke-but-get-some-sleep/