3/29/17 To-do List
Contact Government Officials
- Our nation’s Clean Power Plan establishes the first national limits on carbon pollution from America's power plants. It is the most significant step America has taken to reduce climate pollution and unleash clean energy innovation—all while saving lives and protecting public health. Trump’s Executive Order cancels this plan. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/trump-moves-decisively-to-wipe-out-obamas-climate-change-record/2017/03/27/411043d4-132c-11e7-9e4f-09aa75d3ec57_story.html Let’s tell EPA’s Scott Pruitt that we want this plan to continue: https://secure2.edf.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2928
- Let’s tell Congress that we do NOT want to expand the voucher system for schools that is currently in use in Washington D.C. There are too many problems; the Network for Public Education explains: https://npeaction.org/2017/03/24/tell-congress-stop-funding-vouchers/ Let’s call them or use this link to send them a letter: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/tell-congress-to-vote-no-on-federally-funded-dc-vouchers
- Many of us are Etsy sellers and purchasers. Etsy is bringing a group of sellers to Washington, DC this week, to ask members of Congress to join the newly formed Microbusiness Caucus, which will fight for the interests of Etsy sellers on everything from Internet sales tax to portable benefits. Let’s ask our legislators to join this new group: https://secure.everyaction.com/2itXU9D-8k-CVDF81-l0Fw2
- Here’s another pipeline issue and we have a say. Embridge Line 5, which carries fuel from western Canada to eastern Canada via the Great Lakes states including going under the Great Lakes and the Mackinac Bridge, is well past its intended lifespan and needs to be shut down. http://www.oilandwaterdontmix.org/problem U.S. Forest Service is accepting comments regarding the permitting of Line 5 through an 11.5-mile section of the Chequamegon-Nicolet Forest in Bayfield County, Wisconsin. Line 5 could, potentially, cease operations and be decommissioned if the permit allowing an easement through this area is not renewed. Email: email@example.com (also cc emails to: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org) or snail mail: USFS Jonathan McNeill Washburn Ranger District 113 Bayfield St. East Washburn, WI, 54891 or call: Jonathan McNeill (715)762-5154
- Let’s call our representatives and tell them we oppose H.R.38: The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017, which essentially mandates that states recognize conceal carry permits from other states, even when the permit standards vary. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/03/23/a-better-constitutional-basis-for-the-concealed-carry-reciprocity-act-of-2017/?utm_term=.9055c5544c3d a) Call members of the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations (make sure to tell them if you are a constituent): http://bit.ly/2nelitx , b) Call own representative, and c) Sign MomsRising's form letter (let’s all personalize it for greater impact!): http://bit.ly/2ovls0E
your representative and ask that they oppose H.R.1430: HONEST Act (quite
the oxymoron given its purpose). This legislation would inhibit scientific
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/03/how-to-gut-the-epa-in-the-name-of-honesty/519462/ Details and call script available at 5Calls: https://5calls.org/issue/rec1xzyWmbiGgyxNK
- We knew it wasn’t really over. There is more talk of repealing the ACA. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/28/us/politics/health-care-obamacare-freedom-caucus.html?_r=0 Let’s make sure our legislators know that we want whatever replaces the ACA to be better…..for everyone.
- In another party before country move, the House Ways & Means Committee Republicans voted against H.Res.186 to request Trump’s tax returns so it will not advance to the House for a vote. Let’s register our vote with those Republican committee members: https://waysandmeans.house.gov/subcommittee/full-committee/ Transparency is much needed in this administration.
- April 7 is the new date for the Gorsuch for Supreme Court vote. We need to continue to let our senators know that we oppose him. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-gorsuch-democrats-idUSKBN16Z2NJ
- Let’s all keep calling all of our legislators asking for an independent investigation into the growing Trump/Russia connection. Until this fiasco can be straightened out and made clear, nothing good can come from this administration.
- Access to affordable, high-quality early learning programs in the United States is seriously lacking. MomsRising is asking for personal experiences with early learning and childcare, to help create and support policies that work: http://bit.ly/2nrNTNx
- The U.S. National Commission for UNESCO's Youth Working Group has recently launched a climate justice storytelling initiative, Our Climate Voices, aimed at highlighting local effects of climate change and action steps that people can take to support communities doing work on the ground. Their mission is to contribute towards a shift in the climate change dialogue that puts the voices of those most impacted at the forefront of the conversation. Let’s subscribe to the Our Climate Voices newsletter so we can be among the first to hear about new first-person narratives with action steps that we can take to combat the injustices faced by that community: http://ourclimatevoices.us13.list-manage2.com/subscribe?u=b093e2056e2a0d6ef057a7327&id=73f896a217
- Another new way to keep up with actions and contacting our legislators: Call Party. This works through Facebook Messenger and will let us know when there is an issue and then give us our MoCs calling data. Check it out! http://callparty.org/
- Bill O’Reilly’s comments regarding Rep. Waters’ hair was out of line. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-entertainment-news-updates-march-bill-o-reilly-uses-bully-pulpit-to-mock-1490728898-htmlstory.html Even his apology was lame. Let’s let Fox News know our opinions on Bill O'Reilly's racist comment. Phone: 888-369-4762 or email: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Petitions to Sign
- We the people demand that Devin Nunes be removed from the House Intelligence Committee. We demand a special prosecutor and an independent investigation! http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/remove-nunes?abid=2771b19&abver=146
- Let’s sign the Care petition to say no to Gorsuch for Supreme Court; http://www.thepetitionsite.com/784/980/767/congress-say-no-to-neil-gorsuch/
- Maybe the Constitution needs a “do-over” clause: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/03/rewriting-the-rules-of-presidential-succession/520860/
- “If You're Going To Be One Of Those People Who Argues Politics On Facebook, Here's How To Go About It Effectively” http://digg.com/video/political-persuasion
- Now that both the House and the Senate have voted to let Internet companies sell our data, we need to know our options: http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/03/28/521813464/as-congress-repeals-internet-privacy-rules-putting-your-options-in-perspective